Page 70 of 111 FirstFirst ... 67686970717273 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,750 of 2769
Like Tree263Likes

Default Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Quote Originally Posted by yaerinie View Post
    Sorry to pester, but my phone is coming in soon so I'd just like to be sure. Does anyone have any input or insights?
    Everything you wrote is pretty much on the money. However, I would still activate the Note 3 on your mother's line first. THEN bring the iPhone back (which can be done over the phone with Verizon.) Once that's done, you just do a device swap with the Note 3.

Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by dss2000 View Post
    But on that same thread this poster said they even transferred the upgrade and just activated it on their unlimited line:

T4rd CaptainDisillusion • 3 days ago −
    I don't think you had to activate the new phone on her line in the first place.
    I just did the same thing (transferred my lines upgrade to my mom's line that has a 2GB plan) and when I got the phone, I simply swapped SIM cards from my old phone to the new one and was good to go. Never had to mess with her line at all other than transferring the upgrade to it.
    2 •Reply•Share ›
    Sorry to pester, but my phone is coming in soon so I'd just like to be sure. Does anyone have any input or insights?
    And here is another poster saying same thing:
    IBT • 3 days ago −
    I just did this by way of upgrading another line on my account from the web. When the new phone arrives, simply power down YOUR phone, remove SIM, place in newly arrived phone and you're done. You activate and assume the new phone, the phone you used to upgrade with reverts to its original state. Any data plan you chose will automatically fall off if its a dumbphone. Easy, no contacting of Verizon required.

Also found an interesting post from a Verizon Rep probably why when you go into the store some will lie to you. They don't want to waste their time because they don't get a commission when you upgrade using this method:
    gmx • 2 days ago −
    I just have one request in regards to this article as a vzw employee please don't go into the store and ask a rep to do this for you. We do not get paid on alternate upgrades therefore you are wasting our time helping you to game the system. Do this online yourself if it is that important to you. You can come in after to switch the phones around just don't do the upgrade in store. Also check your usage on vzw.com before you get all I NEED MY UNLIMITED DATA!!! I see if everyday people say that and I look at their usage and they use like 200MB/Mo. Also if you use unlimited data you are prob a techie and should be able to figure this out yourself. If you couldn't you prob don't need unlimited data.

The most accepted method is to activate the new and then take it off. But there are others, see the link above that say it isn't necessary to do that first that you just have transfer the upgrade and order it on another line but once you receive it you can just directly activate it on the unlimited line. Most I think are more confident of the first method and more comfortable doing it that way than to do the shorter method and risk their unlimited data but there are those that say it isn't necessary.

The most accepted method is to activate the new and then take it off. But there are others, see the link above that say it isn't necessary to do that first that you just have transfer the upgrade and order it on another line but once you receive it you can just directly activate it on the unlimited line. Most I think are more confident of the first method and more comfortable doing it that way than to do the shorter method and risk their unlimited data but there are those that say it isn't necessary.

Wow, thanks a million for those posts above! So very helpful!!!!

I am definitely one of those people who are comfortable doing the first method. I do find it plausible that the shorter method might work, but when you have a wheel that is rolling and working, why reinvent it into a square and have it not roll and work?

Go with what works and don't deal with the shortcuts that are not guaranteed; use the first method.

Quote Originally Posted by cg101 View Post
    I am definitely one of those people who are comfortable doing the first method. I do find it plausible that the shorter method might work, but when you have a wheel that is rolling and working, why reinvent it into a square and have it not roll and work?

Go with what works and don't deal with the shortcuts that are not guaranteed; use the first method.
    I definitely agree.

Quick question: Can I reactivate my mother's iphone 4 via the verizon website? Since I won't be able to be with my mother, who is technologically inept, I'd like to be able to do this for her with as little of her involvement as possible. She is across the country from me.

Quick question. I have 2 unlimited data lines and a dumb, upgrade line. I want to use Line B's upgrade for Line A. Unlimited Line B has an upgrade available. I transfer ed the upgrade to the dumb line. I now got the Note 3 but it is failing to activate on the dumb line. Do I need to get it activated on the dumb line before I use is my line, A?

The phone on the dumb line is currently off.

I did the online chat thing and activated it on my line without a problem. Unlimited data appears intact on both lines.
    Last edited by Mr. Toad; 10-24-2013 at 04:15 PM.

I definitely agree.

Quick question: Can I reactivate my mother's iphone 4 via the verizon website? Since I won't be able to be with my mother, who is technologically inept, I'd like to be able to do this for her with as little of her involvement as possible. She is across the country from me.
    When you place the iPhone back, you should be able to choose a previously used device. In which case, choose the iPhone. It will be there under switch and activate a device or whatever the exact phrase was (I mentioned it earlier a few posts back.)

Quote Originally Posted by cg101 View Post
    When you place the iPhone back, you should be able to choose a previously used device. In which case, choose the iPhone. It will be there under switch and activate a device or whatever the exact phrase was (I mentioned it earlier a few posts back.)

Worked like a charm!!! Thanks guys for all your help!!!

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

It worked, thanks much for the info. It made me switch my sim card from my old phone to the new Note. I have a quick dummy question. If I wanted to sell my old Galaxy Nexus, what do I need to do? I assume factory reset, but what do I do about the sim card? When people sell a phone on ebay, you just sell it without a sim card? (Again, dummy question, I don't know squat about sim cards)

Quote Originally Posted by lucasbuck View Post
    It worked, thanks much for the info. It made me switch my sim card from my old phone to the new Note. I have a quick dummy question. If I wanted to sell my old Galaxy Nexus, what do I need to do? I assume factory reset, but what do I do about the sim card? When people sell a phone on ebay, you just sell it without a sim card? (Again, dummy question, I don't know squat about sim cards)

I never sell a phone with a SIM or SD card (you can get an SD card for cheap, so I dont bother.) When you sell a phone without a SIM card, as long as the ESN is clean, then they can get a brand new card at a corporate Verizon store for free, as long they bring the phone with them.

In short, you keep your SIM, and just put it away for yourself to reprogram later, if you need to.

Worked like a charm!!! Thanks guys for all your help!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by lucasbuck View Post
    It worked, thanks much for the info. It made me switch my sim card from my old phone to the new Note.
    Pay it forward and help others who will ask questions that a previous post would have answered in this thread. That would be the best thanks you can give. That's what I did with you folks, and others.

Alternate Upgrade works! I am trying to figure out what to do with my remaining four upgrades. Wife is happy with her brand new S3 and I'm happy with my Note 3.

After successfully upgrading three unlimted data lines -- with $20/line discount as well -- using the wonderful method described in this thread, I am running into a hitch on the 4th (and final) upgrade. The first three were all Android phones, but my oldest son 'has' to have an Iphone 5s. I transferred the upgrade to the dumb line and started the order process...Verizon's webpage format for the Iphone order process looks much different than the previous 3 Androids, but the line's number I'm trying to upgrade appears at the top left of each successive page, right through the final 'submit order' confirmation page as well.

The problem is the Verizon confirmation email states that I'm upgrading the actual 'intended' line; not the dumb line that I'm putting the order in on! Obviously, this doesn't look good (very concerned about it messing up the current deal!) and upon noticing it very early Monday morning I promptly cancelled the order; thinking I must have farked something up along the way. I just went through the steps again and the exact same issue has occurred.

I initiated a chat asking why the line I'm trying to upgrade is not shown in the email confirmation -- as it was for the 3 previous phones -- I was informed I can activate the phone on any line I wish, but am quite concerned that the Unlimited data will get jacked and am seriously considering killing the order before it ships (again).

Looking for advice as to what others would do here...is VZW attempting to shut the back door?

Quote Originally Posted by ds727 View Post
    After successfully upgrading three unlimted data lines -- with $20/line discount as well -- using the wonderful method described in this thread, I am running into a hitch on the 4th (and final) upgrade. The first three were all Android phones, but my oldest son 'has' to have an Iphone 5s. I transferred the upgrade to the dumb line and started the order process...Verizon's webpage format for the Iphone order process looks much different than the previous 3 Androids, but the line's number I'm trying to upgrade appears at the top left of each successive page, right through the final 'submit order' confirmation page as well.

The problem is the Verizon confirmation email states that I'm upgrading the actual 'intended' line; not the dumb line that I'm putting the order in on! Obviously, this doesn't look good (very concerned about it messing up the current deal!) and upon noticing it very early Monday morning I promptly cancelled the order; thinking I must have farked something up along the way. I just went through the steps again and the exact same issue has occurred.

I initiated a chat asking why the line I'm trying to upgrade is not shown in the email confirmation -- as it was for the 3 previous phones -- I was informed I can activate the phone on any line I wish, but am quite concerned that the Unlimited data will get jacked and am seriously considering killing the order before it ships (again).

Looking for advice as to what others would do here...is VZW attempting to shut the back door?
    That type of email had been reported in this thread multiple times. All you have to do is activate it on the dumb line first just like all the others and you will be fine.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    projektorboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tx_tuff View Post
    That type of email had been reported in this thread multiple times. All you have to do is activate it on the dumb line first just like all the others and you will be fine.

Thanks for the reply. I thought I had done a pretty good job of scouting this thread out, but admittedly didn't go over every single page and don't have all of the issues/concerns memorized.

Just went back in this thread and read on the issue (not too far back either ) and saw a few posts and a link to the same issue reported by multiple people on the Macrumors site as well.

Quote Originally Posted by patal05 View Post
    Yes, that's the normal email. Technically the email is correct. It is for the unlimited line because that's where the contract is being extended. However, if you activate it on the basic line first, the contract will be extended on the unlimited line, but you won't lose unlimited data. The phone should ship with a SIM card that will auto-activate on the basic line, but that may be phone specific. If the phone number rubber banded to the box is the basic line, then just turn the phone on.
    The thing is, that wasn't the email I received when upgrading the 3 previous lines over the last few months. All 3 line's email order confirmations stated that I was upgrading the dumb line as intended. It does appear that the process will give me the same result, I just wonder why it looks different this time. Perhaps it is Iphone related?

Quote Originally Posted by ds727 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I thought I had done a pretty good job of scouting this thread out, but admittedly didn't go over every single page and don't have all of the issues/concerns memorized.
    Yeah its very time consuming to go through all of it!

Here's a followup to the situation -- Verizon just sent a shipment notification for the phone and it now shows the dumb mobile number it was ordered for. A quick look at the 'Upgrade Your Device' page on verizonwireless.com confirms that the smart line no longer states 'pending upgrade' either. All is good.

I currently have a shared plan with 3 lines. Can I do an AOL on an unlimited line and make that my 4th line? I assume by doing this, the unlimited line will be on a plan on its own and the other 3 will remain the same?

In addition, if the AOL line is out of contract, can I transfer the upgrade to one of the shared lines? I'm not too sure as the transfer will be done from 2 different plans within the same account?

Quote Originally Posted by luohan View Post
    Can I do an AOL on an unlimited line and make that my 4th line? I assume by doing this, the unlimited line will be on a plan on its own and the other 3 will remain the same?
    Yes, and no. If you assume a line, it ill be a part of your Family Share plan (just like my third line is...)

In addition, if the AOL line is out of contract, can I transfer the upgrade to one of the shared lines? I'm not too sure as the transfer will be done from 2 different plans within the same account?
    Since the account is now yours you should be able to. I'm able to transfer an upgrade from my AOL line (third line) to any line I wish. However, I am waiting to see how to best utilize this.

Yes, and no. If you assume a line, it ill be a part of your Family Share plan (just like my third line is...)
    Thanks cg101 for your reply. I'm confused as the AOL line will now be part of the shared plan. So the 3 lines will share data and the AOL will have unlimited data on it's own? All 4 lines will share voice and text plan? Thank you for your help.

Hi All,
    Just wanted to thank everyone especially those who contribute regularly to this thread you know who you are.. :-)

Also wanted to confirm that I successfully upgraded using the method described here last week.

We started with a shared plan:
    Samsung Charge - Unlimited Data(upgrade available) = Mine > Going to a Note 3
    Samsung Charge - Unlimited Data (upgrade available) = Wife > Going to a Note 3
    Samsung Note 2 - 2Gig Data (upgrade Not available) = Mother
    Samsung Dumb Phone - Basic Line (upgrade available) = Father

1) We simply upgraded my father’s dumb phone to a Note 3 on VerizonWireless and selected Store Pickup
    2) Picked up Note 3 in store, they checked my ID and activated (which deactivated my dad’s old phone, we forgot to tell him but he was ok)
    3) We got straight home. Called Verizon on phone and told them we wanted to reactivate my dad’s old dumb phone oh his line. They are very friendly and didn't ask questions as to why or anything... They completed activation of old phone to his number
    4) They asked what line we wanted to activate the Note 3 on. We said my wife's line. [She was the guinea pig :-)] They completed the process and asked if anything else we needed. That was it...when I logged in to VerizonWireless, My wife’s New Note 3 said Unlimited Data and Dads old phone was back to old plan.
    5) Now to Rinse and repeat for my Note 3….
    6) I went to upgrade dads dumb phone again on VerizonWireless, but this time it had RED TEXT on the top part that said that my dad’s line had recently been upgraded and had to finish the activation process… It grayed his dumb phone and I could not select it.
    7) I called Verizon and they fixed it, but said it might go away on its own in a couple of days.
    8) On VerizonWireless, I transferred my wife’s upgrade to my dad’s old dumb phone line and upgraded to Note3 Paid for it and selected in store pick up.
    9) Picked up Note 3 in store, same process…as before.( step 2).
    10) We got straight home. Called Verizon on phone and told them we wanted to reactivate my dad’s old dumb phone oh his line. They are very friendly and didn't ask questions as to why or anything... They completed activation of old phone to his number
    11) They asked what line we wanted to activate the New Note 3 on. We said my line. They completed the process. That was it...when I logged in to VerizonWireless, My New Note 3 said Unlimited Data; My Wife’s Note 3 said Unlimited Data; and Dads old phone was back to old plan.

Well Probably too much info but I thought I’d share as sometimes those details are what someone is looking for to be more confident in doing this loophole. Don’t expect Verizon employees to confirm this works. We got a resounding NO from everybody and we asked at multiple stores and best buys if this idea would work. So we were on the wall for a long time. They said it would work for the first upgrade but we would need to open a second dumbphone line to do 2nd Note 3, Otherwise they told us if we transferred my wife’s upgrade to my dad’s dumbphone for the rinse repeat (step 8) she would automatically lose unlimited. This did Not Happen…As you can see (therein lies the loophole which for now…Works). And we could do this one more time as I still have my Upgrade... 
    As a reminder when you pick up the phone in store, try not to talk too much to the salesman… he is just activating your phone for you, cause they are really pushing other plans in an effort to get people off unlimited. Don’t tell them your plans. We have two Verizon stores nearby each other and thought of picking up phones at different location as a precaution but didn’t and didn’t have any issues.
    Thanks again everyone.
    Wife and I have had the Note3 for a week now and WOW this is easily one of the Most impressive phones out there. Completely in Love with it.
    Last edited by koolsnowboarder; 10-31-2013 at 02:54 PM.
    Thanked by:
    cg101 likes this.

Thanks cg101 for your reply. I'm confused as the AOL line will now be part of the shared plan. So the 3 lines will share data and the AOL will have unlimited data on it's own? All 4 lines will share voice and text plan? Thank you for your help.
    There's the Nationwide Family Share plan and there is Share Everything. You are confusing the two. Nationwide Family Share plan is sharing just the voice minutes. Share Everything is the plan that has a minimum 2GB data cap. So for unlimited data plan purposes, we talk about Nationwide Family Share plan, and when you assume a line, the voice minutes from that line gets shared with everything else. Data is NOT shared with Nationwide Family Share. Now that I cleared that up, if you are confused about anything else, please go read the last 3 pages of posts. I guarantee you whatever question you have now will be answered there. 6 pages max...lmao.

Just wanted to say that I ordered 2 Iphones on 9/25 using 2 upgrades from Unlimited Data lines. I did the entire process online and spoke to no one.
    Sold the Iphones, AOL'ed my basic line that I transferred the unlimited line upgrades to, since I had no need for it, and still have unlimited data on the 2 lines that donated the upgrades to the basic line.

Also, just to clear up any confusion, you can have a Nationwide line with Unlimited data and Share Everything plan on the same account easily. Obviously, they will be totally independent of each other..

Quote Originally Posted by diesteldorf View Post
    Also, just to clear up any confusion, you can have a Nationwide line with Unlimited data and Share Everything plan on the same account easily. Obviously, they will be totally independent of each other..
    Well, for those doing alternate upgrade, you'll have a Share Everything line for at least a couple of minutes before you go back to the dumb phone on the upgraded line.

So for those that currently have a shared plan and AOL an unlimited data line over, they will have 2 plans on the account (shared everything plan and nationwide plan)? And an alternate upgrade can occur from the nationwide to the shared plan in the same account?
Page 70 of 111 FirstFirst ... 67686970717273 ... LastLast