[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Hey guys. My wife and I both have unlimited plans and we both are eligible for upgrades. I want to keep my unlimited and I don't think it matters if my wife loses it since she doesn't do anything on her Iphone except text and check out facebook so she hardly uses any data. I was wondering if I did the following senario below if i wouldbe able to keep my unlimited while moving only her to the 2GB share tiered plan.

She would first upgrade her phone and get a new crappy boring Iphone and when they start the new contract she loses unlimited and goes to the tiered 2GB plan. Then a week later I transfer my upgrade to her account. She goes and buys the LG G2 on her line after I transfer my upgrade to her. Once she gets it..she then activates it on her line and then deactivates it and puts her new Iphone back on her line. I take the LG G2 and activate it on my line thus keeping my unlimited. My question is...once I transfer my upgrade to her line....does my contract restart and cause me to lose unlimited or does my unlimited stay in place and my 2 years just starts again and I get to keep unlimited? Also, do I just take the 4G sim from my current Galaxy Nexus and put that in the LG G2 and just turn it on and everything should work? I hope I am going to do this right. I just know that others on here have been through this stuff and might be able to offer me some advice. Thanks.

When you transfer the upgrade to her account you renew your contract for 2 years but since the upgrade is occurring on her account you don't lose your unlimited data. Usually the method for activating a phone is to go online, click on "Activate or Switch Device", select your line, check "Activate Device", the device may already be on the line so select "I am activating a device that I previously used with this account", if it is not there select "I am activating a device that I have not used with this account", it will ask for the MEID after you can use the 4G SIM from your Galaxy Nexus.

Narco55

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

Thank you for your response. I plan to re-order after the original order self cancels after 4 days and use home delivery.

Just to verify: When I get the G2, I activate it first on my dumb-phone line, wait, then reactivate the dumb-phone on the line, wait, then activate the G2 on my unlimited line. My current unlimited line has a GNex, do I need to do anything special? Reuse the GNex sim card? Can I use the sim card that comes with the G2?

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Thank you for your response. I plan to re-order after the original order self cancels after 4 days and use home delivery.

Just to verify: When I get the G2, I activate it first on my dumb-phone line, wait, then reactivate the dumb-phone on the line, wait, then activate the G2 on my unlimited line. My current unlimited line has a GNex, do I need to do anything special? Reuse the GNex sim card? Can I use the sim card that comes with the G2?

Yes you have it correct. You really don't need to wait that long between steps. Just make sure the changes are reflected on the website. In regards to using the sim:

Experience with this has been variable but easy to overcome. Some have reported no problem activating the phone on unlimited line, some report that the sim is still attached to the dumb phone line and waiting anywhere from 5 min to 24 hrs allows it to un-attach from the dumb phone line. If you have a problem activating it on your unlimited line you can (if it is compatible) either:
1) take your sim from your receiving unlimited line and put it in your new phone
2) get a new sim that you may have laying around and put it in there (I had one that came with another warranty phone that I never used)
3) call Verizon telephone support and tell them to disassociate the sim from the dumbphone account
4) go to Verizon store and have them disassociate the sim from the dumbphone account or give you a new sim​

cc1995

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

When you transfer the upgrade to her account you renew your contract for 2 years but since the upgrade is occurring on her account you don't lose your unlimited data. Usually the method for activating a phone is to go online, click on "Activate or Switch Device", select your line, check "Activate Device", the device may already be on the line so select "I am activating a device that I previously used with this account", if it is not there select "I am activating a device that I have not used with this account", it will ask for the MEID after you can use the 4G SIM from your Galaxy Nexus.

Thanks for your help.

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

Can anyone confirm that Target will charge you a penalty if you switch devices on a line or drop a data plan soon after upgrading etc? My contact at Target mobile says you won't but I wanted to verify it with someone who has tried at their target. Thanks.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Target won't, their supplier will. They're basically a white label reseller.

XT1060. Through spacetime.

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

Target won't, their supplier will. They're basically a white label reseller.

What do you mean by their supplier? The carrier? I don't remember who contracts them now but before it was radio shack. Are you referring to whomever contracts them now ? Do you happen to know who it is ?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

What do you mean by their supplier? The carrier? I don't remember who contracts them now but before it was radio shack. Are you referring to whomever contracts them now ? Do you happen to know who it is ?

I want to say wirefly but don't quote me without verifying.

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site

Just got my new LG G2 in and I'm already stuck at the first step.

I am logged into my account overview. I click in the Activate or Switch Device section. I don't see the LG G2 anywhere. Am I suppose to click on my current existing dumb-phone?

I'm stressing over this transition to my unlimited line. I hope I don't screw this up. Can someone hold my hand through this?

EDIT: Do you have to insert the new SIM card that came with the LG G2 into the LG G2 before turning it on in order to complete activation?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I am logged into my account overview. I click in the Activate or Switch Device section. I don't see the LG G2 anywhere. Am I suppose to click on my current existing dumb-phone?

I'm stressing over this transition to my unlimited line. I hope I don't screw this up. Can someone hold my hand through this?

So you're trying to activate it on the dumb phone line, right? For that one, it should have come with a new Sim. Simply make sure it's in, turn the dumb phone off for a few and then reboot the g2. That should activate the g2 on that line. If it doesn't, you may have to your it in as a new device on that line. You'd need the imie and sim card number.

Nexus. Through spacetime.

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site

So you're trying to activate it on the dumb phone line, right? For that one, it should have come with a new Sim. Simply make sure it's in, turn the dumb phone off for a few and then reboot the g2. That should activate the g2 on that line. If it doesn't, you may have to your it in as a new device on that line. You'd need the imie and sim card number.

Nexus. Through spacetime.

Yes. I am trying to activate it on the dumb phone line. Yes. The new LG G2 came with a new SIM card.

So unwrap the new SIM card and put it into the G2? Do I need to turn the G2 on first without the SIM card, then turn it off and put it in and then turn it back on?

EDIT: WAIT, what in the hell? There is already a SIM card installed into my G2. I have a new one that is wrapped up still, plus there is a SIM card already installed. I'm confused.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Yes. I am trying to activate it on the dumb phone line. Yes. The new LG G2 came with a new SIM card.

So unwrap the new SIM card and put it into the G2? Do I need to turn the G2 on first without the SIM card, then turn it off and put it in and then turn it back on?

EDIT: WAIT, what in the hell? There is already a SIM card installed into my G2. I have a new one that is wrapped up still, plus there is a SIM card already installed. I'm confused.

Did you transfer a upgrade or just upgrade the dumb phone? If you just upgraded the dumb phone and you have a SIM that will fit the G2 from your other phone and can just put it in there and then it on. Won't need to do anything else. If it was a transfer then activate it on the dumb phone first.

Open the SIM tray and make sure it said 4G. Some have had it shipped with a 3G SIM. That may be why you also have another one in the box. If you are activating on the dumb line first make sure it has a 4G SIM in it.

By the way the tray just slids out, no tools needed.

Tapatalk mofo

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site

Did you transfer a upgrade or just upgrade the dumb phone? If you just upgraded the dumb phone and you have a SIM that will fit the G2 from your other phone and can just put it in there and then it on. Won't need to do anything else. If it was a transfer then activate it on the dumb phone first.

Open the SIM tray and make sure it said 4G. Some have had it shipped with a 3G SIM. That may be why you also have another one in the box. If you are activating on the dumb line first make sure it has a 4G SIM in it.

By the way the tray just slids out, no tools needed.

Tapatalk mofo

Okay, so the SIM card that was preinstalled says 4G on it. So, just turn it on now?

EDIT: No, I did not transfer an upgrade, rather I am upgrading a basic line, dumb-phone

EDIT 2: Okay, well I turned it on with the preinstalled SIM card. So, now I go back and reactivate the dumb phone?

EDIT 3: In Activate or Switch Device section of my account, it shows "Pending Order" for the basic line. What do I do now? It's grayed out and I cannot select it.

EDIT 4: Okay, looks like I didn't keep the phone on long enough or go far enough, phone is activating now. Then I'll go back into my account and reactivate the dumb phone back onto the same basic line.

EDIT 5: G2 is taking awhile to activate. Is this normal? My dumb phone is off while this is happening.

Last edited:

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Sorry Tapatalk is messing with me tonight. Got can either wait til maybe tomorrow and see if it activates or you can call Verizon and do it over the phone.

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site

Okay G2 activated.

Now I am reactivating the dumb phone on the same line. It's asking me to select a data plan for the dumb phone. Why? This basic flip phone shouldn't need a data plan.

EDIT: Alright, well I just chose the cheapest data plan at 75 MBs for 10 bux a month. I guess this is normal??

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Just pick the lowest, it won't be there on the dumb line anyway.

Tapatalk mofo

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site

Okay, so my new LG G2 is deactivated and ready to be moved over to my unlimited line. Do I use the same SIM that I first activated it with or do I use my Galaxy Nexus SIM?

EDIT: Okay, I think I found the answer in a post above. I'm going to use my Galaxy Nexus SIM and put it into the G2 and activate it with that.

EDIT: Uh Oh, I'm stuck. What option do I select when trying to activate the G2 on my unlimited line? "I am activating a device that I previously used with this account" or "I am activating a device that I have not used with this account?"

EDIT: Guess I'll just select "I am activating a device that I previously used with this account" Makes the most sense, yes?

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Okay, so my new LG G2 is deactivated and ready to be moved over to my unlimited line. Do I use the same SIM that I first activated it with or do I use my Galaxy Nexus SIM?

EDIT: Okay, I think I found the answer in a post above. I'm going to use my Galaxy Nexus SIM and put it into the G2 and activate it with that.

EDIT: Uh Oh, I'm stuck. What option do I select when trying to activate the G2 on my unlimited line? "I am activating a device that I previously used with this account" or "I am activating a device that I have not used with this account?"

EDIT: Guess I'll just select "I am activating a device that I previously used with this account" Makes the most sense, yes?

You can just put your GNex SIM in it and turn it on.

Tapatalk mofo

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site

You can just put your GNex SIM in it and turn it on.

Tapatalk mofo

Okay then, looks like I'm good then. My G2 activated super quick with the GN sim in it. So, that's it. I did a test call and verified that the G2 is on my unlimited line.

That was stressful! haha

EDIT: Is it normal for my online account to not show my LG G2 on it? It still shows my Galaxy Nexus. Probably because of the SIM card being used in my G2, yes?

EDIT: Nevermind, the G2 now shows up on my line in the account overview. Hopefully everything went well and I won't be hit with some kind of crazy charge. I'd rather pay the charges though than lose my unlimited plan.

Last edited:

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

EDIT: Do you have to insert the new SIM card that came with the LG G2 into the LG G2 before turning it on in order to complete activation?

Yes.

Sent from my maguro using Tapatalk 4