[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

marki86

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

If I have a Verizon UDP line eligible for upgrade, tiered line not eligible. Can I transfer upgrade through Verizon then order phone through Verizon, ship to house, put UDP sim in new phone and keep UDP?

Posted via Android Central App

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

If I have a Verizon UDP line eligible for upgrade, tiered line not eligible. Can I transfer upgrade through Verizon then order phone through Verizon, ship to house, put UDP sim in new phone and keep UDP?

If you have a tiered data plan on a line, it's even easier than just the sim swap:

1) Log onto Verizon and transfer your UDP line's upgrade to a TDP line;
2) Order the new smartphone you want on the TDP line;
3) When the new smartphone arrives, activate it on the TDP line using the SIM card that ships with the phone;
4) Wait at least an hour and make a few calls/text from the new smartphone to make sure it activated OK;
5) Log onto Verizon and put the TDP line's old smartphone back on the TDP line; and
6) Log onto Verizon and put the new smartphone on the UDP line.

marki86

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

Thanks! Just clarifying, transferring the upgrade from UDP on Verizon Web site will not effect the UDP? Also, once I do that, can I upgrade anywhere (in best buy store) as long as I activate the phone on tiered phone. Sorry for sounding stupid... Just really nervous about messing up UDP. (and too cheap to pay full retail)

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Thanks! Just clarifying, transferring the upgrade from UDP on Verizon Web site will not effect the UDP? Also, once I do that, can I upgrade anywhere (in best buy store) as long as I activate the phone on tiered phone. Sorry for sounding stupid... Just really nervous about messing up UDP. (and too cheap to pay full retail)

You have to use the transfer when you do it online, it doesn't stay on the other line if you log off and do not use it. And yes we know 100% for sure transferring the upgrade on a UDP does not make you LOSE your UDP. That's the whole point of transferring it.

marki86

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the answer and patience! So I can do this through best buy, pick up in store and have them activate the new phone on tiered line. Then just swap everything when I get home to where I really want it?

Jeff Hager

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

I apologize if this has been covered, but I have been searching all over for information with no luck. I am looking at getting a new phone soon. I have an Unlimited Data Plan and I am more than willing to pay full price for a phone. I currently pay $78 and compared to the Share everything plans, I am already saving about $50 a month on the plan alone. Doing the math in my head, paying full price for a phone will pay for itself in about 7 months, compared to subsidized pricing with a new tiered plan.

My question is this. I'm not looking jump through any hoops to avoid paying full price for a phone without changing my plan. I just want to spend my money, get the phone, and use it without having to worry. Most of the information I've found involves the "Best Buy Method", or transferring upgrades, or other tricks. What are people doing to legitimately purchase a phone at full price without getting tricked out of their unlimited plan with Verizon? Do you purchase from a Verizon store, Verizon website, third party website? Are there any tricks I should know about, such as how to deal with the SIM cards? I would most likely be going from a phone with a micro SIM to a new one with a nano SIM. I am not interested in performing surgery on my micro SIM card. I'm sure a lot of people go these routes and have no problems at all, but I've read a few special cases where someone purchased a phone at full price, and still lost their Unlimited Plan. I just want to know the best method without getting screwed by Verizon.

clownin72

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

As far as I know you can go directly through Verizon and pay the full price of the phone and not jump through any hoops or lose unlimited data. That's their stipulation to keep unlimited data, pay full retail

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

I apologize if this has been covered, but I have been searching all over for information with no luck. I am looking at getting a new phone soon. I have an Unlimited Data Plan and I am more than willing to pay full price for a phone. I currently pay $78 and compared to the Share everything plans, I am already saving about $50 a month on the plan alone. Doing the math in my head, paying full price for a phone will pay for itself in about 7 months, compared to subsidized pricing with a new tiered plan.

My question is this. I'm not looking jump through any hoops to avoid paying full price for a phone without changing my plan. I just want to spend my money, get the phone, and use it without having to worry. Most of the information I've found involves the "Best Buy Method", or transferring upgrades, or other tricks. What are people doing to legitimately purchase a phone at full price without getting tricked out of their unlimited plan with Verizon? Do you purchase from a Verizon store, Verizon website, third party website? Are there any tricks I should know about, such as how to deal with the SIM cards? I would most likely be going from a phone with a micro SIM to a new one with a nano SIM. I am not interested in performing surgery on my micro SIM card. I'm sure a lot of people go these routes and have no problems at all, but I've read a few special cases where someone purchased a phone at full price, and still lost their Unlimited Plan. I just want to know the best method without getting screwed by Verizon.
If you are buying a phone full price or doesn't matter who from. That is the only legit way to keep unlimited. You can walk in a Verizon store but a phone at full price, let them activate it right there on the spot with a new SIM and you still keep your UDP.

primevyl

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site

Be careful buying third party...they should not need any of your Verizon account information to make purchase if you're buying full retail.

User Unknown2

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

Lots of reading! I have family plan. 2 of my lines have basic phones with no data & were able to upgrade in 2013. My main line is ULD & I want 2 keep it that way ( no sim card in the phone). I want the new turbo. If I go 2 the store, upgrade a basic phone line 2 the Turbo phone, will have 2 add data 2 that line.... From there I get confused. They set up the new phone there with a SIM card. I go home and switch the activation for the phone lines? Put the Turbo on my ULD line & put the basic phone back where it was? Would the SIM card work on new line or would I have to ask for new one??

marki86

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

Just clarifying, if I transfer upgrade from UDP to tiered line on best buy, have phone delivered to store, activate in store. I will not lose UDP? Then I can come home and switch phones. Sorry to ask so many questions! Some posts in this thread say never have shipped to store.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Just clarifying, if I transfer upgrade from UDP to tiered line on best buy, have phone delivered to store, activate in store. I will not lose UDP? Then I can come home and switch phones. Sorry to ask so many questions! Some posts in this thread say never have shipped to store.

You can do it that way. The not shipped to the store is if you are not doing the transfer.

marki86

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

You can do it that way. The not shipped to the store is if you are not doing the transfer.

I am about to give up! Where on the BestBuy site do I transfer the upgrade? When I chose to upgrade the tiered line I only have edge option since it is not eligible. I can't find where to transfer.

primevyl

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site

I'm fairly sure you can only transfer upgrades(whereby there is an actual smooth process) in the Verizon site.

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

I am about to give up! Where on the BestBuy site do I transfer the upgrade? When I chose to upgrade the tiered line I only have edge option since it is not eligible. I can't find where to transfer.

Yeah I'm not sure why you were told you could transfer an upgrade on BB site. Only avail. on myverizon site.

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

One thing they have changed on the verizon site is the way you are presented with the transfer option. You must choose the line you want to upgrade THEN select a phone, after you select a phone you are then presented with the ability to transfer the upgrade.

marki86

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

One thing they have changed on the verizon site is the way you are presented with the transfer option. You must choose the line you want to upgrade THEN select a phone, after you select a phone you are then presented with the ability to transfer the upgrade.

That figures! The phone is only $1 on Best Buy site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress