[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Moto x 2014, can Best Buy do it in the store and me not lose UDP?

Posted via Android Central App

This is never an option. They open the phone and activate it with the preinstalled sim card which in turn changes your plan to a TDP. If money is a concern then I understand, if not then go thru verizons site and transfer your upgrade. If money isn't a concern then get a different phone. The new turbo is enticing but I'm holding out for a price drop on the Note 4. I currently have the M8 which is fantastic phone. I think you can get that for $99 currently.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

This is never an option. They open the phone and activate it with the preinstalled sim card which in turn changes your plan to a TDP. If money is a concern then I understand, if not then go thru verizons site and transfer your upgrade. If money isn't a concern then get a different phone. The new turbo is enticing but I'm holding out for a price drop on the Note 4. I currently have the M8 which is fantastic phone. I think you can get that for $99 currently.
They don't even have to open the box to activate it. They can just scan the box to activate it.

Sent from my Note 4 using Tapatalk.

User Unknown2

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

I stopped by Verizon. Advised them I wanted the Turbo on my 3rd line (presently contract expired 2013 & no data). Told them when I got the Turbo activated on that line that I was going to put a standard phone on that line & put the Turbo on line 1 (ULD). She advised me that I would have to continue to pay for the additional data pkg on line 3, even if I didn't need data on it, for 2 yrs. She also advised me if I transfer the Turbo to a different line b4 6 months that I would have to pay full retail for the phone. AND once I activated it on line 1 they would cancel my ULD. Since it was a transfer phone. Help plz? I really want the Turbo w/ULD. My present phone is Droid Pro & contract was up in 2012.

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

I stopped by Verizon. Advised them I wanted the Turbo on my 3rd line (presently contract expired 2013 & no data). Told them when I got the Turbo activated on that line that I was going to put a standard phone on that line & put the Turbo on line 1 (ULD). She advised me that I would have to continue to pay for the additional data pkg on line 3, even if I didn't need data on it, for 2 yrs. She also advised me if I transfer the Turbo to a different line b4 6 months that I would have to pay full retail for the phone. AND once I activated it on line 1 they would cancel my ULD. Since it was a transfer phone. Help plz? I really want the Turbo w/ULD. My present phone is Droid Pro & contract was up in 2012.

Part of this is true. But you don't even need to use the new smartphone on that line. It was just brought to my attention earlier this week that you can in fact transfer your dumb lines upgrade to a tiered line, activate it with the preinstalled sim card, use the phone on that line for a day, then revert back to what phone you were using on that line then put the new phone on your UDP line. Do you have a tiered line is the question....

The scenario you presented was taken away form us on Aug. 25th. Now, I believe some people have done this but just not activated the phone on the dumb line, swapped out the sim card from your UDP and threw out the preinstalled sim card. The only issue with this is I believe you are left with a pending activation on the dumb line that some say will drop off eventually. We will need people to chime in on this that have experienced it.

User Unknown2

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

I don't know what tiered line is. I have Nation Wide Talk & txt across 5 lines. Unlimited Txt & share 1400 talk min. 1st phone is Droid Pro (ULD) out of contract. 2nd & 4th lines are iPhone pays for 2gig data each, 3rd and 5th are flip phone out of contract no data. I was going to get Turbo on 3rd line then switch to primary line ULD. Is any of that tiered?

User Unknown2

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

These are tiered data lines (2gb).

Great now I have something to work with. They are not available for upgrades til 6/15. Could I take my 3rd line flip phone available upgrade & switch that to one of these lines then order the Turbo, activate it on that line then switch to my primary? I have read this worked in the past but not sure if it still would since the August date.

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

Great now I have something to work with. They are not available for upgrades til 6/15. Could I take my 3rd line flip phone available upgrade & switch that to one of these lines then order the Turbo, activate it on that line then switch to my primary? I have read this worked in the past but not sure if it still would since the August date.

Yeah you should be golden! According to recent past posts here yeah that is all you have to do. I will be doing the same with the Note 4 eventually. Report back please and let everyone know how it goes. ; )

graymonkey44

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site

Ok I've called about 5 different Verizon stores all telling me the same thing and its pissing me off. I want to buy the droid turbo and I'm on a family line with an upgrade on my UDP and another line with 2GB. I want to transfer my upgrade to the 2GB and activate the phone on that line, then once the phones activated, activate it on my UDP line and put the original phone that was on 2GB back on.

Every Verizon store I've talked to all say I will lose it because it affects the whole family plan and I've heard multiple people on here pretty much confirm that I won't lose my unlimited data. I'm almost at the point where I'm going to say I don't care, do it anyways because I know they're all wrong and I want this phone. I could just order it online and do it that way, but I don't want to wait for it to ship because it won't even come in until Monday or Tuesday now.

Should I just go do it in store and say I don't care. I'm afraid one of the reps might screw it up and get rid of my unlimited data anyways. So frustrated because I want this phone!!!

User Unknown2

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

Yeah you should be golden! According to recent past posts here yeah that is all you have to do. I will be doing the same with the Note 4 eventually. Report back please and let everyone know how it goes. ; )
Nope! You can no longer switch an "ready for upgrade" line to another line that is under contract. Won't work since August unless I agree to upgrade my basic flip phone line to a data line with a charge of $30 a month for 2yrs. I called the store, then called Verizon, then talked to a supervisor.

Now if I agree to change the basic line (that is out of contract) to a data line with the $30 month charge - then I can take the Turbo and put it any where I want that has data. Meaning I'd switch it to my Unlimited phone number. To be honest - I can't afford the $650 (plus tax) to buy the phone outright. However, I can afford to pay $30 extra a month for 2 yrs to put a data pkg on the other phone. After 2 yrs that's $720 for the phone. It's like making payments and that I'm willing to do.

If the "available for upgrade" line was already a data line then Yes, I could get the Turbo on that line then transfer it to my Unlimited number. Right now, I'm willing to pay the extra $30 a month for a limited data line I'll never use in order to switch the Turbo to my unlimited line.

James Rogers2

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site

Don't listen to what the reps tell you, don't even bother asking them, of course they are going to tell you that you will lose your unlimited data they want you on one of their crappie share everything plans. But if you read through this thread, you can see it works.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Ok I've called about 5 different Verizon stores all telling me the same thing and its pissing me off. I want to buy the droid turbo and I'm on a family line with an upgrade on my UDP and another line with 2GB. I want to transfer my upgrade to the 2GB and activate the phone on that line, then once the phones activated, activate it on my UDP line and put the original phone that was on 2GB back on.

Every Verizon store I've talked to all say I will lose it because it affects the whole family plan and I've heard multiple people on here pretty much confirm that I won't lose my unlimited data. I'm almost at the point where I'm going to say I don't care, do it anyways because I know they're all wrong and I want this phone. I could just order it online and do it that way, but I don't want to wait for it to ship because it won't even come in until Monday or Tuesday now.

Should I just go do it in store and say I don't care. I'm afraid one of the reps might screw it up and get rid of my unlimited data anyways. So frustrated because I want this phone!!!
The reps at the store's goal is to get you off of unlimited. Just upgrade the 2GB line. Put the phone on your unlimited line. You will be good to go. You can directly upgrade the 2GB line in the store. Just don't tell them what you doing. You can then swap the SIMs online.

When you want to upgrade the 2GB line just transfer the upgrade.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Nope! You can no longer switch an "ready for upgrade" line to another line that is under contract. Won't work since August unless I agree to upgrade my basic flip phone line to a data line with a charge of $30 a month for 2yrs. I called the store, then called Verizon, then talked to a supervisor.

Now if I agree to change the basic line (that is out of contract) to a data line with the $30 month charge - then I can take the Turbo and put it any where I want that has data. Meaning I'd switch it to my Unlimited phone number. To be honest - I can't afford the $650 (plus tax) to buy the phone outright. However, I can afford to pay $30 extra a month for 2 yrs to put a data pkg on the other phone. After 2 yrs that's $720 for the phone. It's like making payments and that I'm willing to do.

If the "available for upgrade" line was already a data line then Yes, I could get the Turbo on that line then transfer it to my Unlimited number. Right now, I'm willing to pay the extra $30 a month for a limited data line I'll never use in order to switch the Turbo to my unlimited line.
If you can order from a third party retailer you can order on the dumb-phone line. I did this with the iPhone 6.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Can someone confirm if this would work....
I have a 5 line family plan. 3 smartphones and 2 dumbphones. 2 of the smartphones are UDP and one is 2GB. I have an upgrade available on a dumbphone line. I would like to move that upgrade from the dumbphone line to the 2GB tier smartphone line and get a new smartphone. Once the new smartphone is activated on the 2GB line, could I then swap the sim from the new phone and give my existing phone to the 2GB line and then put my UDP sim in the new phone without changing my UDP? I was hoping this could work as the upgrade is not from my UDP line which would cause me to lose my unlimited as I have read on the net. So would this scenario allow me to preserve my UDP? Thanks for any hellp!

You can switch your upgrades from any line to the 2 GB Tiered Line (which is allowed to upgrade), activate it on that line (or not), and the line where you switched it from (dumbphone or UDP) will now have a new contract end date of 2 years later.

VooDooCC

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

You can switch your upgrades from any line to the 2 GB Tiered Line (which is allowed to upgrade), activate it on that line (or not), and the line where you switched it from (dumbphone or UDP) will now have a new contract end date of 2 years later.

I was told by a couple of reps that it extends the upgrade date of the 2GB tiered line too. That's what has made me hesitant to go this route myself. I'm afraid of switching my UDP upgrade to my TDP upgrade, and it extending the TDP contract date (as the reps said would happen) since the TDP is less than a year away from it's upgrade.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

I was told by a couple of reps that it extends the upgrade date of the 2GB tiered line too. That's what has made me hesitant to go this route myself. I'm afraid of switching my UDP upgrade to my TDP upgrade, and it extending the TDP contract date (as the reps said would happen) since the TDP is less than a year away from it's upgrade.
It did not extend the contract of the donee line. It only extends the donor line's contract.

Most reps do not know what they are talking about.

VooDooCC

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

Thank you. Another question then, since this one I really can't ask the reps :) How long do I have to have the phone on the TDP before switching to my UDP? Trying to avoid having to order a sim adapter and nano sim to put in my current phone then swap the sim. Seems like it'd be much easier and efficient to just switch the upgraded phone to the UDP online.

Hope I made sense there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ab07