Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 51
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Researching my next VERIZON smartphone....

    I'm posting this here to get opinions on several verizon phones I'm researching. I currently have the Rezound, which is a decent phone. I also have a price limit $199.00 or less, for two phones. my wife will not get anything different than what I get, so whatever I decide, is what she gets. AND we upgrade on the exact same day (last part of July). so far, I've narrowed my search to Razr Maxx HD, Note 2, or S3. I'm really looking for opinions on those three phones from people who have them, and have real life usage. My biggest priority is battery life, I don't really care about display or pixels, etc. next is viability....i.e will the phone be relevant 6 months after I get it. also, how much does RAM play a part in phone performance? the Razr Maxx HD has everything I want, but 1GB of RAM seems so outdated...but I could be wrong. I just want the most phone for my money, and I don't want to have buyers remorse two weeks after I make my purchases. thanks for any input in advance.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Researching my next VERIZON smartphone....

    I have the Note2. Battery life is amazing but like anything depends on use. I can get thru the entire day. It is my only phone so I do charge nightly. But I am never worried about not having juice. Everything this device has and does made me choose it. I have small hands but was easy to get accustomed to. I love the s pen. Camera is decent. Call quality is pure. I also have favorite CD's on it and I listen to Pandora. Sounds awesome whether alone or hooked to my jambox or car auxiliary.
    Go to the store and play with your choices. Good luck

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note2
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    Thanked by:
    johnriii likes this.
  3. #3  
    cgardnervt's Avatar

    Posts
    2,671 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

    Default Re: Researching my next VERIZON smartphone....

    Quote Originally Posted by johnriii View Post
    I'm posting this here to get opinions on several verizon phones I'm researching. I currently have the Rezound, which is a decent phone. I also have a price limit $199.00 or less, for two phones. my wife will not get anything different than what I get, so whatever I decide, is what she gets. AND we upgrade on the exact same day (last part of July). so far, I've narrowed my search to Razr Maxx HD, Note 2, or S3. I'm really looking for opinions on those three phones from people who have them, and have real life usage. My biggest priority is battery life, I don't really care about display or pixels, etc. next is viability....i.e will the phone be relevant 6 months after I get it. also, how much does RAM play a part in phone performance? the Razr Maxx HD has everything I want, but 1GB of RAM seems so outdated...but I could be wrong. I just want the most phone for my money, and I don't want to have buyers remorse two weeks after I make my purchases. thanks for any input in advance.
    If you have time to wait i would wait for the S4 or get a Note2 if you want a bigger screen. Moto phone support lacks a little bit if you want the newest updates. Samsung is a good OEM and HTC seems to be pretty good as well. Your best option is to go to the store and play with each device if you need one at this very moment. if it was me I would settle with a Note 2. But I like sammy devices for the most part. You plan to root at all? If so you want some good ROM support and sammy devices seem to have that as well. Not that moto doesn't but its a toss up.
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)
    If any of my posts help you don't forget to thank/like it!!
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Researching my next VERIZON smartphone....

    Quote Originally Posted by cgardner View Post
    If you have time to wait i would wait for the S4 or get a Note2 if you want a bigger screen. Moto phone support lacks a little bit if you want the newest updates. Samsung is a good OEM and HTC seems to be pretty good as well. Your best option is to go to the store and play with each device if you need one at this very moment. if it was me I would settle with a Note 2. But I like sammy devices for the most part. You plan to root at all? If so you want some good ROM support and sammy devices seem to have that as well. Not that moto doesn't but its a toss up.
    my upgrade is late July, so I do have time. the S4 is very nice, but i've never been one to have to have the newest device. assuming that the S4 will retail @ $299.99, it's way out of my range. best case scenario is that the Note 2 would drop another $50 between now and then (amazon wireless). however, if I can get the most phone for less than that, then of course, that would be the smart thing to do. the S3 and Razr Maxx HD are running neck and neck with me, but like I said, the Note 2 could squash all of that with a timely price drop.

    and no, I hadn't considered rooting, but I'm open to the option.
  5. #5  
    cgardnervt's Avatar

    Posts
    2,671 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

    Default Re: Researching my next VERIZON smartphone....

    Quote Originally Posted by johnriii View Post
    my upgrade is late July, so I do have time. the S4 is very nice, but i've never been one to have to have the newest device. assuming that the S4 will retail @ $299.99, it's way out of my range. best case scenario is that the Note 2 would drop another $50 between now and then (amazon wireless). however, if I can get the most phone for less than that, then of course, that would be the smart thing to do. the S3 and Razr Maxx HD are running neck and neck with me, but like I said, the Note 2 could squash all of that with a timely price drop.

    and no, I hadn't considered rooting, but I'm open to the option.
    By late July the note will have seen a price drop I bet. But still keep your eyes peeled for good deals! Also if you call Verizon they may give you your upgrade early if you call and ask nicely. Then you could buy a newer phone if they have a deal of a life time.
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)
    If any of my posts help you don't forget to thank/like it!!
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Researching my next VERIZON smartphone....

    I'm definitely going to try to upgrade early. 4th of July is my target. There will probably be some good deals going on then. Also, I'm counting on the announcement of the note 3 to push the price of the note 2 down.


    Sent from my HTC Rezound using Android Central Forums
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Researching my next VERIZON smartphone....

    If battery life is your primary concern, then the Note 2 can't be beat! Most average at least 5-6 hours of screen on time (even when always on LTE) or on light use you can go days between charges. Add in the option of a spare battery and the S-Pen and it's game over man! The Note 2 also appears to have better cell/data signal coverage than most other Verizon phones. Also don't be concerned about the size. It's something you adjust to quickly and once you do it's quite surreal how it changes your outlook on smaller phones. I still have my old Thunderbolt and now anytime I break it out, the first thought is: Wow, that thing looks so small. How did I ever use something that small!
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Researching my next VERIZON smartphone....

    Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    If battery life is your primary concern, then the Note 2 can't be beat! Most average at least 5-6 hours of screen on time (even when always on LTE) or on light use you can go days between charges. Add in the option of a spare battery and the S-Pen and it's game over man! The Note 2 also appears to have better cell/data signal coverage than most other Verizon phones. Also don't be concerned about the size. It's something you adjust to quickly and once you do it's quite surreal how it changes your outlook on smaller phones. I still have my old Thunderbolt and now anytime I break it out, the first thought is: Wow, that thing looks so small. How did I ever use something that small!
    former tbolt owner here too.I know several people with the note 2 already, and I have played with all my phone choices in the local big red store. it's not too big, I wear pleated slacks most days, and it fits easily. my primary issue with it is the money, even though my limit is $199 (which is where it is now on amazon wireless). if I can save a bit, I would like to do so.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Researching my next VERIZON smartphone....

    Quote Originally Posted by johnriii View Post
    I also have a price limit $199.00 or less, for two phones.
    $199 for each phone?
    I voided my warranty.
  10. #10  
    joe_fresh's Avatar

    Posts
    386 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,467 Global Posts
    ROM
    HTC One stock

    Default Re: Researching my next VERIZON smartphone....

    New maxx hd owner here, love the device and the battery is amazing. Came over from an iPhone 4 and will not look back.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: Researching my next VERIZON smartphone....

    yes, that's the upper price limit. with that in place, I should be able to get just about any phone I want outside of the newest ones at that time.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Researching my next VERIZON smartphone....

    If your biggest priority is battery life, then you want the Razr Maxx HD or the GNote 2.
    I voided my warranty.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: Researching my next VERIZON smartphone....

    Quote Originally Posted by joe_fresh View Post
    New maxx hd owner here, love the device and the battery is amazing. Came over from an iPhone 4 and will not look back.
    how is the performance of the phone overall? I'm drooling over the battery life, but not sure about much else. the consensus I'm finding on the web is nice phone, but not a "head turner". I'm assuming it's solid, but not too flashy.
  14. #14  
    joe_fresh's Avatar

    Posts
    386 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,467 Global Posts
    ROM
    HTC One stock

    Default Re: Researching my next VERIZON smartphone....

    Honestly when i first saw it i was not all that wowed by it, but the note was just a tad to big for me. I do like the carbon fiber backing of the maxx hd.Being my first android OS phone it is very snappy to me. I did have some issues at first with 4g coming and going but those have long passed. But like you i researched and i was between the S3 and this one. The battery life and memory size is what sent me in the direction i went.
    Thanked by:
  15. #15  
    joe_fresh's Avatar

    Posts
    386 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,467 Global Posts
    ROM
    HTC One stock

    Default Re: Researching my next VERIZON smartphone....

    I should add that like you i researched, read reviews and for the first time I did not buy because it was the hot seller or flashy looking phone. yes the rmhd looks boxy but as a first timer it works for me.... I regret ever buying that darn iPhone...
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

    Default Re: Researching my next VERIZON smartphone....

    Quote Originally Posted by joe_fresh View Post
    I should add that like you i researched, read reviews and for the first time I did not buy because it was the hot seller or flashy looking phone. yes the rmhd looks boxy but as a first timer it works for me.... I regret ever buying that darn iPhone...
    I'm still on the fence, almost to the point of obsession. I've watched so many reviews on the S3, maxx HD, and the Note 2 that I feel I couldn't go wrong with any of the three. the S3 has EVERYTHING that I want except battery life, and I may be making a mountain out of a molehill on that front. being a former Tbolt owner and current Rezound owner, I'm wanting a big leap on battery life. Samsung has promised updates to the S3 that will basically keep it relevant for at least the next two years, so if I can confirm that the battery life is "OK", then I may have made my decision. from what i can tell, the Motorola X should be a beast of a phone, but again, out of my price range. I'm assuming the Note 2 will drop in price, but it may not.

    personally, the Maxx HD is actually a good looking phone. however, I will be getting the Seidio Active case no matter what phone I get, so looks aren't really a high priority for me. thanks for the input.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

    Default Re: Researching my next VERIZON smartphone....

    Quote Originally Posted by androidluvr2 View Post
    If your biggest priority is battery life, then you want the Razr Maxx HD or the GNote 2.
    yes it is, but I may be jaded due to owning a Tbolt for about a year, and now the Rezound for the last five months. both are battery hogs, and I'm big on streaming videos and gaming when at work on breaks or lunch. is it any coincidence that both of these are HTC phones?
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Researching my next VERIZON smartphone....

    Quote Originally Posted by johnriii View Post
    is it any coincidence that both of these are HTC phones?
    My Samsung GNex has a sucky battery. I think it has to do with 4G LTE phones + increased features in the OS requiring a lot of power. Thus, you need a larger battery to power them. Razr Maxx HD and GNote 2 have larger batteries.
    I voided my warranty.
    Thanked by:
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

    Default Re: Researching my next VERIZON smartphone....

    Quote Originally Posted by androidluvr2 View Post
    My Samsung GNex has a sucky battery. I think it has to do with 4G LTE phones + increased features in the OS requiring a lot of power. Thus, you need a larger battery to power them. Razr Maxx HD and GNote 2 have larger batteries.
    I appreciate the feedback on the GS3. after almost another full day of researching that topic, I'm convinced that I should PROBABLY steer clear of it, despite the beautiful specs. however, I have heard a rumor that Samsung may be re-issuing the GS3 with a larger battery. that really doesn't make sense with the GS4 coming out very soon, the Note 2 still selling very well, and the Note 3 on the horizon. so now, maybe I'm down to the N2 and the Maxx HD.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Researching my next VERIZON smartphone....

    Quote Originally Posted by johnriii View Post
    I appreciate the feedback on the GS3. after almost another full day of researching that topic, I'm convinced that I should PROBABLY steer clear of it, despite the beautiful specs. however, I have heard a rumor that Samsung may be re-issuing the GS3 with a larger battery. that really doesn't make sense with the GS4 coming out very soon, the Note 2 still selling very well, and the Note 3 on the horizon. so now, maybe I'm down to the N2 and the Maxx HD.
    I had heard they were going to put out a somewhat larger battery for the SIII. A battery somewhat like the S4 will have when it comes out. I guess by the time that happens I will have the S4 and not waste my money on a new battery for my S3 to just sit on the self in the closet. Battery life on the Maxx HD is the best around, can't be beat and if you find 2@$199.00 I think you would be doing yourself well.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

    Default Re: Researching my next VERIZON smartphone....

    Quote Originally Posted by japetty View Post
    I had heard they were going to put out a somewhat larger battery for the SIII. A battery somewhat like the S4 will have when it comes out. I guess by the time that happens I will have the S4 and not waste my money on a new battery for my S3 to just sit on the self in the closet. Battery life on the Maxx HD is the best around, can't be beat and if you find 2@$199.00 I think you would be doing yourself well.
    just to clarify, that's 2@$199 each. that's the high end of my budget, and I would hope that the phones I'm researching would be well under that. after spending about 45 minutes in my local verizon store today, the maxx HD is back ahead of the S3, with the Note 2 still clearly in front. never having owned either a motorola or samsung, i found getting around the phones fairly easy, with Samsung having the slight edge. both the N2 and S3 were pretty intuitive, but the Maxx HD didn't disappoint. also, what if the S4 battery can switch out with the S3, kinda like what happened with the Rezound battery in the Tbolt? that would change things for me drastically.....time will tell.

    I'm hoping to hear from others who own either of the three of these phones, for some "real world' usage input. I do appreciate the feedback so far, and it's gonna be a long four months for me.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Researching my next VERIZON smartphone....

    There seems to be several similar threads discussing where to go from the t-bolt.
    A common choice has been the Note2.
    I also don't want to spend more than $199.
    Device: Verizon Note2
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

    Default Re: Researching my next VERIZON smartphone....

    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    There seems to be several similar threads discussing where to go from the t-bolt.
    A common choice has been the Note2.
    I also don't want to spend more than $199.
    I've seen those in the past months in other threads, and my first gut reaction was to go with the Note 2, but reality sets in and finances get screwed up. so I have to have some flexibility. best case scenario is I will be able to spend $199 per phone, in which case I will get the Note 2. however, in life best case scenario rarely happens...so I'm basically formulating my back up plan. waiting is not an option, the Rezound's battery life is driving me up the wall.
  24. #24  
    killroy420's Avatar

    Posts
    68 Posts
    ROM
    AOKP / Franco Kernel

    Default Re: Researching my next VERIZON smartphone....

    Note 2. That is all.

    If my Note 2 and Nexus could have a baby, I would cheat on both and commit phonophelia.
    Thanked by:
    johnriii likes this.
  25. #25  
    Nakrohtap's Avatar

    Posts
    647 Posts
    ROM
    CM10.1 Fitsnugly AOKP

    Default Re: Researching my next VERIZON smartphone....

    Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    If battery life is your primary concern, then the Note 2 can't be beat! Most average at least 5-6 hours of screen on time (even when always on LTE) or on light use you can go days between charges. Add in the option of a spare battery and the S-Pen and it's game over man! The Note 2 also appears to have better cell/data signal coverage than most other Verizon phones. Also don't be concerned about the size. It's something you adjust to quickly and once you do it's quite surreal how it changes your outlook on smaller phones. I still have my old Thunderbolt and now anytime I break it out, the first thought is: Wow, that thing looks so small. How did I ever use something that small!
    If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the Maxx get 10+ hours on screen time? I thought I read that last year shortly after it came out.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Can't wait til my next upgrade on Verizon
    By gautraudj in forum Introductions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-23-2011, 10:38 PM
  2. Should I wait for my Next smartphone?
    By nvuppala in forum Rumored Devices Lounge
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-12-2010, 08:02 PM
  3. Using Google Voice visual VM with my regular verizon #?
    By ctychick in forum Verizon Droid Incredible
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-03-2010, 12:01 AM
  4. Help With my NEXT Auto Purchase
    By NVR2ND in forum The Android Central Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-04-2010, 08:06 AM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-06-2010, 12:19 PM

Posting Permissions

B