Help... I need to know before tomorrow.

twilite2000

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Bought an unlocked phone. I want to add it to my Verizon account. It needs a SIM card. Before purchasing it I spoke to 2 Verizon representatives and both assured me that it would not be a problem. To verify before I went to a Verizon store I spoke with another representative tonight and she told me Verizon does not support unlocked phones. Is this true?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It needs to be a verizon branded phone with a clean esn.

Most Verizon 4GLTE phones are sim unlocked, so yes, Verizon would activate sim unlocked phones, but again must be Verizon branded phone with clean esn

If it is an unlocked phone but not Verizon branded, then no, it can't be activated on Verizon

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
It needs to be a verizon branded phone with a clean esn.

Most Verizon 4GLTE phones are sim unlocked, so yes, Verizon would activate sim unlocked phones, but again must be Verizon branded phone with clean esn

If it is an unlocked phone but not Verizon branded, then no, it can't be activated on Verizon

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

Just to back this up, if it isn't a phone Verizon currently is selling, or has sold in the past, you will not be able to activate it with their network. They will tell you no, and you'll be out of luck.
Verizon still relies on CDMA for voice coverage. CDMA is very locked down by it's nature. Verizon and Sprint both have databases of ESNs for the phones that are permitted on their networks. In order to get a non-Verizon device to work on their network, Verizon would have to add the ESN to their database. They will not ever do this for you. I've heard of it happening one time to one guy quite awhile ago. It was a rumor, I can't substantiate it. I've never ever heard another rumor of it happening. It's a waste of time to take it in and try to get them to activate it if it's not a handset they currently sell, or have sold in the past.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89