Options traveling outside USA

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
My phone is VZW GS3.
I am going on in a vacation to Jamaica for a week and called VZW to find out calls are $2/minute, and incoming text 5 cents and outgoing text 50 cents. Data is another story with huge $ to use over 100MB. I was flustered by price and didn't even ask if my wife's Droid Incredible 2 would even function.

I was hoping to use it to keep in communication with wife if we got separated. Also, in case of emergency be in touch with family.

I am going to get walkie talkies for around the resort. But anyone have other ideas?

Posted via the new and improved Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You could ask Verizon to unlock your devices (unless you're already unlocked) and get pre-paid, local chips. They're sure to be far cheaper than what VZW is trying to steal from you and in some cases you might even have data included.

Another option is to use VoIP services like Skype or Viber but you'd need to be always within WiFi range for this to work.

Also, remember that in case of an emergency, all phones can dial out the '911' equivalent without a SIM card and/or carrier plan.

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
You could ask Verizon to unlock your devices (unless you're already unlocked) and get pre-paid, local chips. They're sure to be far cheaper than what VZW is trying to steal from you and in some cases you might even have data included.

Another option is to use VoIP services like Skype or Viber but you'd need to be always within WiFi range for this to work.

Also, remember that in case of an emergency, all phones can dial out the '911' equivalent without a SIM card and/or carrier plan.

Thanks. I know VZW will unlock and I will has be it done. Will z prepaid local sim chip even work on a subsidized unrooted CDMA phone?

I know the hotel has wifi do email is covered.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I know VZW will unlock and I will has be it done. Will z prepaid local sim chip even work on a subsidized unrooted CDMA phone?

I know the hotel has wifi do email is covered.

Again, the Verizon s3 is already sim unlocked with the latest update, as I said in your other thread you need root for data though. The Verizon s3 is a quad band gsm phone. You can use a local sim card.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
My phone is VZW GS3.
I am going on in a vacation to Jamaica for a week and called VZW to find out calls are $2/minute, and incoming text 5 cents and outgoing text 50 cents. Data is another story with huge $ to use over 100MB. I was flustered by price and didn't even ask if my wife's Droid Incredible 2 would even function.

I was hoping to use it to keep in communication with wife if we got separated. Also, in case of emergency be in touch with family.

I am going to get walkie talkies for around the resort. But anyone have other ideas?

Posted via the new and improved Android Central App

You should be careful about using walkie talkies there. Wake talkies from the US might not be legal to operate on those frequencies there. They could potentially interfere with other services and you could find yourself in legal trouble.

I would either just use text messaging or pick up some cheap gsm phones and local prepaid sim cards.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
You're going to give your family walkie talkies to use around the resort? Oh god, so YOU'RE that guy!

Lol.. Just my 1 kid and me. Got to track them down somehow and with Verizon being my carrier, using phone calls or texts never mind data will cost me more than the trip

Posted via Android Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87