These fraudulent people are getting smart...

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
So a guy walks up to the kiosk, buys 2 iphone 5's with his girlfriend with him. They acted like they were so interested in the monthly bill, asked questions about data, how much the taxes and fees are, all the questions you ask when making a serious inquiry about buying service. They even ported numbers over from T-mobile (where they probably ran the same scam).

We had to talk him into getting insurance (or so we thought) and when they got it for both lines, my manager closed the sale. They refused any accessories.

Fast forward a week and a half , my manager does his checks to see if the service is actually being used, come to find out they had 0 minutes of talk, 5mb of data between them, and 6 texts.

But that isn't the kicker, later the same day they went to another location to add 2 more phones to the account and another the next day.

Then he noticed they swapped the devices out two times a piece.

After some calls, he found out they committed insurance fraud. So they've gone through 15 iphone 5's in a week and a half through various insurance providers.

On day 13 they canceled the service and paid Verizon the money they owed for the small amount of time they had the phones.

Phones are gone, they are gone, he's being charged back for 2 phones and the resellers are out the devices.

I'm sure they were on Craigslist the day they got them.

These scam artists are getting very smart....

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So a guy walks up to the kiosk, buys 2 iphone 5's with his girlfriend with him. They acted like they were so interested in the monthly bill, asked questions about data, how much the taxes and fees are, all the questions you ask when making a serious inquiry about buying service. They even ported numbers over from T-mobile (where they probably ran the same scam).

We had to talk him into getting insurance (or so we thought) and when they got it for both lines, my manager closed the sale. They refused any accessories.

Fast forward a week and a half , my manager does his checks to see if the service is actually being used, come to find out they had 0 minutes of talk, 5mb of data between them, and 6 texts.

But that isn't the kicker, later the same day they went to another location to add 2 more phones to the account and another the next day.

Then he noticed they swapped the devices out two times a piece.

After some calls, he found out they committed insurance fraud. So they've gone through 15 iphone 5's in a week and a half through various insurance providers.

On day 13 they canceled the service and paid Verizon the money they owed for the small amount of time they had the phones.

Phones are gone, they are gone, he's being charged back for 2 phones and the resellers are out the devices.

I'm sure they were on Craigslist the day they got them.

These scam artists are getting very smart....

So, were they claiming them lost/stolen?

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
They aren't that smart. Doing the math with deductibles and paying the balance on the subsidies, it seems to me that they likely only made about $200 per phone (guesstimate).

Even if they made 3 grand, (which i doubt they did), that's not much reward for a lot of risk, especially considering how ruthless insurance companies are concerning fraud.

Sleep easy. They will get caught, because they will get greedy, and because the plan in general is high risk low reward.

Posted via Android Central App

darkoman4

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
They aren't that smart. Doing the math with deductibles and paying the balance on the subsidies, it seems to me that they likely only made about $200 per phone (guesstimate).

Even if they made 3 grand, (which i doubt they did), that's not much reward for a lot of risk, especially considering how ruthless insurance companies are concerning fraud.

Sleep easy. They will get caught, because they will get greedy, and because the plan in general is high risk low reward.

Yes, and considering all those phones except the last two have bad ESN, they are not worth much.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Lol... Considering the op's name... I'd guess he is just researching whether the scam he cooked up will work.

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
So howd they get that many phones through one carriers insurance I thought there was a limit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes, and considering all those phones except the last two have bad ESN, they are not worth much.

It would probably just be sold as factory sim unlocked, as all Verizon iPhone 5's come that way. Yes, it is or maybe blacklisted from Verizon, but it should work on ATT and tmo or internationally on gsm carriers.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
So howd they get that many phones through one carriers insurance I thought there was a limit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

There's a limit of 2 with each one but most resellers offer their own insurance separately from asurion

Lol... Considering the op's name... I'd guess he is just researching whether the scam he cooked up will work.

Um no.

My user name is a childhood nickname given to me at 5 because even that early I had a passion for making money.

Nothing illegal.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Sneaky people but they will most likely get caught. I'm just waiting for ETF fees to rise or deposits to become the norm for everyone because of people like this.:mad:

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Sneaky people but they will most likely get caught. I'm just waiting for ETF fees to rise or deposits to become the norm for everyone because of people like this.:mad:

FCC put a limit on ETF fees but deposits will get bigger and deductibles as well.

People need to stop this dumb stuff

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
FCC put a limit on ETF fees but deposits will get bigger and deductibles as well.

People need to stop this dumb stuff

I'm just hoping deposits don't become the norm even for those with excellent credit.