Today's Verizon Store Rep musings...

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I could get a whole day's enjoyment out of just standing in the store listening to the reps talk to customers. Sorry Joe the Insider if you read this, but the experience was too good not to share. I'm sure your reps are more on point.

I was in the store today picking up my T2. While I was waiting for them to get it out of the back a rep who has been there since at least last year when I bought my Turbo is talking to a couple in their 20's who are clearly the "I need a phone, but have no clue about any phones" type of customer. They walk over from the Samsung's to the Droids saying "So what's the difference between the Samsung and the Turbo?" The rep explains that the T2 has a "better camera" because its 21mp vs only 16, that it has a "48h battery" then then points to the soft touch back calling it "soft touch leather" while they have a leather backed T2 sitting right next to it. No mention of the shatterproof screen. They decide to get one and the rep says, "so you want to go with the soft touch leather?"

I went back to pick up a screen protector and while I'm waiting start talking to an older guy that's there with his wife and they have just decided on the T2 and the rep is in back getting them. The guy asks me if the T2 is a good phone and I say, yes it's a great phone. He said he really likes it because it has the Gorilla Glass and all. So I explain to him that it doesn't have Gorilla glass, but instead has a layered plastic screen and try and extol the virtues of the shattershield to him. The customer is suddenly clearly nervous and apprehensive because the screen isn't Gorilla glass. I continue to try and explain that it's a great screen, just not glass, but just get a glass screen protector and you'll be fine. The rep comes back out with their phones and the guy asks him if the screen is glass and the rep says, "Yes, its glass." I'm standing right there and can't let it go so I interject "No, it's not glass. Its plastic." which makes the rep suddenly look confused. The guy must have remembered me explaining the layered screen and apparently asks the rep about it to which the rep says, "Yes, its 5 layers of Motorola Gorilla Glass." I finally had to walk away...

I wasn't trying to undermine the rep as I was still trying to tell the customer he should get the phone and how great it was. I just didn't want him to have incorrect info on the screen since he was assuming it was glass. In the end, despite my extolling the screen's shatterproofness the customer decided to go look at other phones with an actual glass screen. Why aren't store reps telling customers about the new screen technology, the big selling point of the phone? And, while I'd never actually expect a rep to know this, why don't they know MP isn't what makes the camera and that the other phones actually have better cameras. And, not that they'd ever tell the customer this, but its not actually a 48h battery unless you just let the phone sit there.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes, a normal user will never experience 48 hour battery life unless idle. But it'll sure get you through a heavy day of use.

As far as the reps, I hardly ever got to a store now - I'd rather do things online and do it myself. I do have one rep I deal with if I got to the store but he's it. But like anywhere the lack of training/knowledge of new devices is a reflection on leadership.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I also cringe when I see how clueless some of the customers are and listen as the store rep takes advantage of them. But I also often watch as customers make demands that make no sense, then get mad at the reps.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The reps are probably just trained to sell to the masses and sell whatever is being featured, instead of educating customers to let them make their own decisions. To the average consumer (Like it or not), which do you think is more effective: Listing how many megapixels the camera has, which people have a general concept of? Or trying to explain things like pixel size, OIS, color accuracy, etc that also play a role in image quality? The former is quick and dirty. The latter is more accurate but would take time to explain and you'd loose customer interest.

Half the challenge is getting the customer into the store. After that, it's make a quick sale before the customer gets second thoughts about a purchase.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
There was a time the Verizon store was a good place to be. I would drop by and get to know the reps, and they would track promos and specials for me (and spot phone numbers as they were released which is how I got my current number). Now they're solely focused on commisonable sales like new activations. I avoid the brick and mortar stores like the plague.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yep. It sucks when this happens -- You don't want to be rude but you also want to help give them accurate information. My family & friends come to me for suggestions before going to the store. That way they can be like me... walk in and say "Give me this, this, and that on this. Thanks." and walk out without a sales pitch being needed.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes, a normal user will never experience 48 hour battery life unless idle. But it'll sure get you through a heavy day of use.

As far as the reps, I hardly ever got to a store now - I'd rather do things online and do it myself. I do have one rep I deal with if I got to the store but he's it. But like anywhere the lack of training/knowledge of new devices is a reflection on leadership.
Depends on what you define as heavy use. My turbo 2 didn't make it through a day of use for me.

With regards to sales rep... They will say whatever to sell the phone, but one thing I noticed is that they try to steer you away from iPhones.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Depends on what you define as heavy use. My turbo 2 didn't make it through a day of use for me.

With regards to sales rep... They will say whatever to sell the phone, but one thing I noticed is that they try to steer you away from iPhones.

Everyone has their classification of heavy use - maybe not in your case.