Need a android compatible router for Iconia

brandon

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I bought an Iconia last week and I like it, but the update killed my ability to use a static IP address (I even had to return my first one). for the time being I am using it only with my mifi, but would like to replace my routers so that they will work with it and my two DX's.

Anyone have a suggestion for a good android compatible router that I can use without encryption?

brandon

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Let me explain further then....

I currently have two Belkin-N routers - one acting as the base and one acting as the hotspot. Apparently the chip is not android compatible, therefore the need for a new router that I can use DHCP with.

footysr

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
I had D-Link for years but recently picked up a couple new Netgear N300 routers to pick up the "n" and haven't had any issues.

It will allow you to reserve an IP in the router for a device.

dash2000

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Before buying anything new, lets try and sort out your routers. Generally, routers don't care what operating system you are using, and the iconia is capable of handling wep2 encryption, which is good enough in most cases. Are you able to log into the routers and get to the wifi settings? If so, chech to see if you have MAC filtering active? This would immediately stop you from accessing the net until you add the iconia's MAC to the approved list. If this is not the case, add you routers model number here and I will try to get you a work around.

JamesKBoyd

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Before buying anything new, lets try and sort out your routers. Generally, routers don't care what operating system you are using, and the iconia is capable of handling wep2 encryption, which is good enough in most cases. Are you able to log into the routers and get to the wifi settings? If so, chech to see if you have MAC filtering active? This would immediately stop you from accessing the net until you add the iconia's MAC to the approved list. If this is not the case, add you routers model number here and I will try to get you a work around.

This. The router is almost certainly not the problem, because I have the exact same router as you, and everything works 100% for me.

Last edited:

ericp74#CB

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
As far as I know the only type of wireless network the Iconia cannot see is a Ad-Hoc network. Make sure you are running your router & hotsop in Infrastructure mode.

brandon

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Just got back from the weekend.

As it is, I don't have any encryption on as I don't need it where I live. I've tried every solution I can find so any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW My routers are as follows (version and firmware)
Main: F5D8231-4 / 2.01.27
Access Point: F5D8231-4 / 5.01.05

dash2000

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
So if I understand your setup, you have DHCP disabled and have allocated static IP to each of your devices? If this is correct, enable DHCp on you main router, reserve the IP statically setup on your two DX machines and allow the router to serve out an IP to the Acer. By the way, can you iconia see your wireless network? Get back to me if this doesn't work.:)

brandon

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
This is the way that it is set up now. I have DHCP enabled but I have static IPs assigned to the two Droid X's. The Iconia can see the network but it stops at "Obtaining IP adress" and never connects - jsut like the DX did. Also, with the new update it is impossible to go in and change the static IP settings so I cna't connect that way either.

dash2000

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Ok, this is a know issue with the iconia and not your routers. There is a wifi patch on the acer website. Try tgat first, and if no good, there are a couple of other things we can try.

brandon

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes, tried the patch (per Acer's instructions) but it will not load as I am on .13 and it will only load on .08 or .10 I think.

Good thought though. I still appreciate the effort, this is a tough one.

I actually returned my first one as I thought something was wrong with jsut that unit, but this sems to be an Acer "feature"

dash2000

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Just a note, I took it out this past weekend and I was able to connect it to a number of WIFI hotspots with no problem.

Something I read just in the last day or so, are your routers channel jumping? Some of the newer routers do this to get the best reception. Doesn't seem to bother laptops, but stuffs the iconia quickly... If they are, try disabling this feature and reboot you tablet to reconnect...

brandon

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Not sure how to disable that. I have the main router on channel 11 and the access point on channel 6 with an extension set for channel 2.

Would the radio have anything to do with it? It is currently set to use 20MHz or 40. Would switching it to 20MHz only fix it or would that cause other problems?

dash2000

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, why are you running two different channels? And do the routers both have the same ssid? You could try setting both routers to the same channel, and setting the routers to 20mhz. According to your user manual, changing to 20mhz allows better access for wireless b and g type devices, but it won't hurt to try.:-\

brandon

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I have to run two different Channels and SSIDs because if I don't then my laptop will try and connect to the weaker signal on the other side of the house. I tried dropping the access point to 20MHz, but it did not seem to help me any at all.

My brother in law (who is an official guru on many counts) is here this weekend. I am going to try and elicit some help from him.

brandon

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Super Guru Brother in law gave up. he couldn't get it either. Looks like I am back to my option of buying a new set of routers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non