ICS update

dfb8085

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
OK I'm getting tired of turning on my acer a500 every day hoping to see it start to update itself. When in he!! is this going to happen. I'm getting very itchy to get rid of this thing and get a ipad2

Danv1369

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Curious how getting an ipad2 solves your problem? If you want ICS wouldnt you go for a tablet that already has ICS or is confirmed to get ICS soon?

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering why you are under the impression that an update should be available at this time. Did you read somewhere that an ICS update would be available mid January? I heard the update was coming some time in Q2, but this wasn't anything official from Acer. Until you see an announcement for Acer as to when the update is coming I wouldn't hold my breath.

If you are thinking about getting an iPad, then you must not truely realize what Android offers in comparison to iOS. Not saying that the iPad isn't a great device, I've used it and thought it was great, but nothing comes close to the overall functionality of an Android device! If you like being tied to iTunes for everything you do, and locked into a single point of development content, then the iPad may be just what you are looking for.

Here is an atricle regarding the new A200 that is just starting to ship out. It's getting an ICS update in mid Feb, so I'd imagine that we won't see an update prior to that. Again, this is speculation and we can assume anything we want until Acer makes an official announcement...

http://www.androidcentral.com/10-inch-acer-iconia-hits-jan-15-239

Last edited:
Reactions: bawboh86

jhowle9475

May 7, 2011
Visit site
The iPad and apple is like a bad memory that won't die. Have you been by an apple store and seen the signs for OSX lion? I don't know how much you know about apple but i remember seeing in 1999 in apple stores a sign for OSX leopard. Do you know what this tells me? It tells me that yet again apple has yet to release a new operating system. Infact the current one is going on 13 year of age. It doesn't matter what animal name you attach to OSX, it is still OSX. Incase you don't know, the X represents 10 meaning OS version 10.

If memory serves me right, the biggest improvement from OS 9 to OS X was the move from 16 bit to 32 bit computing. As I type this, i am thinking to myself,,, wow, in thirteen years apple couldn't come up with something new. In anycase, i take this as a sign that the apple code reached end of life over a decade ago and every new product they release in a new OLD product. The apple OS will continue to be the same old same that is was 13 years ago while the PC market continues to advance. Eventually pc's move to higher than 64bit, whats apple going to do with anitquated code? Microsoft abandoned DOS years ago do to programming limitations, why is apple still clinging to old technology? I believe the answer is simple, apple invested heavily in patents, and a business model designed to get consumers in the door then make sure they apple is the sole proprietor of the users needs. Why this is not classified as a monoploy, i don't know why.

I'm going to take a step back, I shouldn't knock apple to much, they have a created a good product and the reason why it is so successful is they control the software, they control the hardware and everything to do with it and what YOU do with it. I would be willing to say that if microsoft made a computer that noone else could produce hardware or software for and control it the way apple does then they to would have a computer like apple but microsoft doesn't want to do this. Microsoft chooses to allow the PC industry to move forward by allowing a wider base or development thusly creating and industry that any company can take part in instead of poeple the sole proprietor of the whole pie like apple. Ultimately this allow the PC industry to move forward and make faster and better machines. Google follows suit with android in the same fassions. Steve jobs was very good at on thing, selling a idea. An idea that has a status attached to it. Hell he even made it cool by copywriting the use of the letter infront of certain words..lol I am curious what the future of apple will be now that steve jobs is iDead (the letter i is intended).

I am fully behind this comments made earlier about apple, "If you like being tied to iTunes for everything you do, and locked into a single point of development content, then the iPad may be just what you are looking for". Infact i couldn't have said it better myself. Ultimately the choice is yours but consider what you are really buying before buying an iPAD. Oh, and have fun spending all the extra money on the dongles to make the ipad do what the acer iconia does.

I'm not anti apple am i?...lol

Last edited:

rednocturne307

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I would hope the update isn't too far off considering the Asus Eee Pad Transformer just got updated to ICS and the original Xoom just got updated to ICS as well and these tablets are pretty much the a500's direct competition. If Acer is serious about being a competitor in the tablet market then I would hope they would be trying to get ICS out to their existing tablets asap. The ball is in your court, Acer. Please don't fail us, we don't need another Samsung.

dfb8085

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
well i guess when the first product gets a OTA upgrade to ICE then it will be the shot heard around the world. no need in thinking anyone with modern technology could miss it

rednocturne307

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
My thoughts exactly. Looks as though the Asus Eee Pad Transformer and the Xoom have already been updated as of yesterday I believe. So basically the ball is in Acer's court.

jhowle9475

May 7, 2011
Visit site
no don't be that way. So many people get caught up in the fact apple products are cooling looking when in reality its truly a product of the 80's and 90's that is dressed up on a 2012 costume. This has always been my real issue with them and the reason i will never own an apple product again. btw, i used to have an ipod and an iphone and learned my lesson quickly because i wanted more then what their overly priced products would give me.

scarryman04

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
well i guess i 'm just a dumb a$$. sorry i wasted all ya'll time and bow in your presence

didnt say that but just dont go on a whine spree about not getting a system update that hasnt even been confirmed yet and threaten to buy a ipad....there are custom ICS ROMs out already so root and flash away. thats the great thing about Android...something you will NEVER get from ios.

jhowle9475

May 7, 2011
Visit site
You know, i got to thinking about the hole OSX bit. All previous versions of the apple OS were numbered. So what kind of marketing would it be if they called it OS10 and always left it at that versus putting the misnomer X on the end. This way people would really never know what they are getting. I don't know why but this makes since to me. Every apple device out now is powered by OSX even though they call it iOS. They basiclly just slap a new theme on it and enable hidden features from the previous version like the app folder flop and siri. Just seems like they try to get you on the come back. I appologize for the rants...lol Oh by the way, do you know who makes apples Retina Display? The answer is Samsung, the very company they tried to sew. The screen that makes up the retina display is a STANDARD Samsung WXGA screen.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
You know, i got to thinking about the hole OSX bit. All previous versions of the apple OS were numbered. So what kind of marketing would it be if they called it OS10 and always left it at that versus putting the misnomer X on the end. This way people would really never know what they are getting. I don't know why but this makes since to me. Every apple device out now is powered by OSX even though they call it iOS. They basiclly just slap a new theme on it and enable hidden features from the previous version like the app folder flop and siri. Just seems like they try to get you on the come back. I appologize for the rants...lol Oh by the way, do you know who makes apples Retina Display? The answer is Samsung, the very company they tried to sew. The screen that makes up the retina display is a STANDARD Samsung WXGA screen.

Actually the iPhone OS was built new from the ground up - it's not a mobile version of the Mac OS. In fact, the latest OSX (Lion) uses pieces of iOS like gestures and the app drawer.

Sent from my Nexus S

thelawal

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site

OSX isn't really a misnomer. It's just people mispronounce it. OSX should be pronounced oh-ess-ten.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

dfb8085

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
i writing this from my mac air with OS lion and i tell you it is one slick laptop. i love it. anyway i own 2 of the acres. one each for my wife and I and it is good just like it is if it don't never get any love or not

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty