I know this phone is great for its price, but is it a great phone on its own regardless of price?

brybelle22

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm really on the fence about this phone. Cost is definitely a factor for me, but not the ultimate factor in purchasing a phone. I'm wanting to upgrade to a bigger screen from my Xperia Z3 compact which if I sell at $350, I would have $100 leftover after getting the Idol 3...or I can spend roughly $200 extra and get the G4 from swappa. Those of you who have the Idol, can you comment on screen quality, camera and lag? These are the only issues that concern me.

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm really on the fence about this phone. Cost is definitely a factor for me, but not the ultimate factor in purchasing a phone. I'm wanting to upgrade to a bigger screen from my Xperia Z3 compact which if I sell at $350, I would have $100 leftover after getting the Idol 3...or I can spend roughly $200 extra and get the G4 from swappa. Those of you who have the Idol, can you comment on screen quality, camera and lag? These are the only issues that concern me.

It is probably a decent phone for the money but if you are going to compare it to the G4 then its not even far to the Idol 3.

seanpr

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I know this is late, but I like it better than I liked my first gen Moto G when I got it. I got 2 of these for the price of the G4, which I wanted, but couldn't justify it.

skipatrol

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Lag is a non issue unless you're cleaning recently used apps. Honestly it's been pretty smooth. Screen is really nice. You won't be disappointed there. Camera is where you'll find a huge gap between the idol and the g4. Idols is decent. G4 is amazing. Idol wins for speakers though which is a biggie for me.

Sent from my Lenovo B6000-F using Tapatalk

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
It's a great phone by itself (even better for the price) though you can't compare it directly to a $400+ phone since it doesn't make sense. I prefer it over all the similar priced options like Moto G/E, Zenfone 2, etc. At $199 I definitely think it's a good buy. Though it seems your sort of wanting to go with the G4. If you want pure quality I doubt a OneTouch Idol 3 will match a G4.

A friend got a N6 during Prime Day and I honestly feel the speakers on the OneTouch is better than the ones on the N6 from comparing the two.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
How well the Idol 3 stacks up against more expensive phones depends on which features you consider most important. The G4, which I've had since it was released in the states, is a faster device and has an amazing camera, Quad HD display, removable battery and convenient back buttons. With the Idol 3 you get better battery life, a much brighter screen, very good front facing speakers and a non bastardized version of Android. Music is also louder and sounds better out of the box. Although I prefer the back buttons on the G4, the QuickClick app allows us to use different up and down volume combinations to launch the camera, flashlight and other apps on the Idol 3.

Sent from my 6045I using Tapatalk

alfienoakes

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm torn between the Idol 3 and Sony xperia Z3 - I've got an order in with amazon uk for the idol 3. Anyone with experience of both care to comment?

brybelle22

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm torn between the Idol 3 and Sony xperia Z3 - I've got an order in with amazon uk for the idol 3. Anyone with experience of both care to comment?

I had a Z3 Compact a couple of phones ago and have had the Idol for about five days now. I really like the overall experience of the Idol 3. Being that it is very close to stock Android, the UI is very clean. The Sony UI over Android seemed very dated. The z3C had lots of options but they seemed to clutter the experience. Idol camera is ok, but in my opinion definitely doable. I didn't feel like the Z3C camera lived up to its specs, but it is better than the Idols. Speakers on the idol are GREAT...much better than the Z3C.