This is a great phone...

Ejjba

Dec 25, 2015
Visit site
To be truthful, it's just how it is. The average American didn't even know they had a removable battery on their phone. I used to work at Best Buy for Samsung and have seen customers coming in complaining about terrible battery life. I would pop open the battery door and see a battery that has swelled up and is in bad shape. I then recommend them buying a new battery. When asked where, I'd say, "you can buy it online". Most people really aren't tech savvy and just need a phone that they can plug in and go. Hence why Samsung removed a lot of gimmicky features and slimmed down on features, no one knew there was an IR blaster on their phone or how to use it, or how to use all those gesture features. We would schedule training classes to teach people these things. I hope LG can market the V series to the more tech savvy pro users like us who needs and wants all these features.

Planned Obsolescence is true, whether you believe it or not. At least for some manufactures. I used to update customer's phones at Best Buy for Samsung and those with older devices would get the final OS update that would make their device so slow, it's barely useable. An S4 back in the day would have been lightning fast with 3GB if RAM and Snapdragon 600. Still pretty decent specs right? Try using it today with the updated OS, camera opens after you wait 15 seconds...

This is all very true, my wife is a prime example. Could care less as long as the phone does what she wants. She will learn what she needs and thats it.
Most people are not going to play with a removable battery, if it were that big a deal to the majority,Apple would not have sold 200 million I phones
It is what it is
Imho

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
To be truthful, it's just how it is. The average American didn't even know they had a removable battery on their phone. I used to work at Best Buy for Samsung and have seen customers coming in complaining about terrible battery life. I would pop open the battery door and see a battery that has swelled up and is in bad shape. I then recommend them buying a new battery. When asked where, I'd say, "you can buy it online". Most people really aren't tech savvy and just need a phone that they can plug in and go. Hence why Samsung removed a lot of gimmicky features and slimmed down on features, no one knew there was an IR blaster on their phone or how to use it, or how to use all those gesture features. We would schedule training classes to teach people these things. I hope LG can market the V series to the more tech savvy pro users like us who needs and wants all these features.

Planned Obsolescence is true, whether you believe it or not. At least for some manufactures. I used to update customer's phones at Best Buy for Samsung and those with older devices would get the final OS update that would make their device so slow, it's barely useable. An S4 back in the day would have been lightning fast with 3GB if RAM and Snapdragon 600. Still pretty decent specs right? Try using it today with the updated OS, camera opens after you wait 15 seconds...

Hold on now...

Let's take a little trip back in time, since you worked the Samsung section for Best Buy.

You say people don't know about removable batteries..and other things on their phones and this is why Samsung removed these features... I don't think so.

All anyone has to do is to look at some of the best commercials Samsung ever made, and one in particular for the Samsung Galaxy s5.. It's the wall hugger commercials... Not only did they show that the phone had a removable battery but was water resistant..
These things made Samsung the phone of choice....

People knew about these things.. Even my now 90 year old mother knew about them, because at the time she had a iPhone...

A removable battery is not a gimmick to be removed because a few individuals didn't know about that feature..

Explain to me why Samsung went from promoting the virtues of NOT BEING A WALL HUGGER.. to what we have today......

Wireless charging.. That is a gimmick..and a lie.. It is a convenience nothing more and it's sure as hell not wireless Tesla is turning over in his grave .. Fast charging is just a poor substitute forced on the masses to offset not being able to change the battery to a fully charged one... again trying to minimize the necessity.. and being a convince.. It's all part of the lie being spoon fed to the consumer by those who are in the position to do so.

Sorry for my rant..

Mac

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
If people don't realize phones had removable batteries back in the day, it makes me wonder what they did when the batteries in their clocks, remotes, and even cars went dead. Throw them out and buy new ones? Lol

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
No.. I belong to the minority of people who demand a removable battery in their cell phone.. I also am in the smaller minority of people who demand a working fm radio in their phones.

I get removable batteries but a FM radio .. bah! lol :p. I can't stand to listen to the FM radio to be honest .. I would drive in silence before every turning it on.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I get removable batteries but a FM radio .. bah! lol :p. I can't stand to listen to the FM radio to be honest .. I would drive in silence before every turning it on.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

I will say that fm radio is a very valuable tool, not only can you get music, but emergency notifications and weather alerts when cell service is not available. Also if one is forced to use a sealed battery as most people are today, listening to the radio is far more battery friendly than any type of streaming..

Mac

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

I will say that fm radio is a very valuable tool, not only can you get music, but emergency notifications and weather alerts when cell service is not available. Also if one is forced to use a sealed battery as most people are today, listening to the radio is far more battery friendly than any type of streaming..

Mac
Yeah I have separate radios for emergency alerts. Not worried on that ;).

As for battery I have a few packs that are huge so.. just as good as removable. It can charge the phone 4+ times before it dies itself. I stay prepared due to hurricanes and such.

Last edited:

Ejjba

Dec 25, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I have separate radios for emergency alerts. Not worried on that ;).

As for battery I have a few packs that are huge so.. just as good as removable. It can charge the phone 4+ times before it dies itself. I stay prepared due to hurricanes and such.

I lived for a long time in S Flat and we had tons of batteries and a special weather radio. Could not live without them. So I still like the ability to easily replace batteries

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I lived for a long time in S Flat and we had tons of batteries and a special weather radio. Could not live without them. So I still like the ability to easily replace batteries

Oh I wasn't saying I don't like not replacing them. I am just saying for me it isn't a "I must have replaceable or no buy" type of situation. I had replaceable in the past and used it to hot swap on the fly.. But I can survive without. I have bought packs on sale and such so I have so much juice that removable or not isn't a huge deal breaker for me.

As for emergency cases I will always have a few radios. There is no way I would rely only on my phone or only one radio.. Not in hurricane territory. Not worth :p.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

The only FM I listen is FM HD in my car. A lot more channels and no static..... But truthfully I stream or play music stored on my phone

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

If you go to the gym you can tune in to the station and watch TV. At baseball games, you can tune in to hear the game commentary. If you're going camping, you probably won't get cell service but there should be local FM station. I mostly use FM radio to listen to NPR and the news, don't really care for today's top 40 music.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If you go to the gym you can tune in to the station and watch TV. At baseball games, you can tune in to hear the game commentary. If you're going camping, you probably won't get cell service but there should be local FM station. I mostly use FM radio to listen to NPR and the news, don't really care for today's top 40 music.

That sounds good for you. For me I would rather just listen to my own music at the gym, at a ball game I would just watch the game and not need commentary.. Kind of defeats going to the game for me when I could just watch what is in front of me, and as for camping I would again have music on my phone. If I really needed FM while camping I would have my truck which has AM,FM, and Satellite radio.

So it still stands that FM is a no go for me :).

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
When I go scouting and hunting my radio is with me. Our fm choices around here are extremely clear and we have a great variety of of different styles of music and programming.

Having good cell service is not possible at all times and since I don't road hunt, getting off the beaten path is my only way to do this.

Wither someone uses the FM radio or not isn't the point of contention, but rather it's better to have it when you need it, than needing it but not having it. It's not taking up any space to speak of, nor slowing the phone down. To purposely remove it just so you have to stream is flat out wrong..... Just like the removable battery... Not all utilize like I do. Just like the SD card or any other thing...

The people who only stream their stuff have to remember this.

Mac

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
When I go scouting and hunting my radio is with me. Our fm choices around here are extremely clear and we have a great variety of of different styles of music and programming.

Having good cell service is not possible at all times and since I don't road hunt, getting off the beaten path is my only way to do this.

Wither someone uses the FM radio or not isn't the point of contention, but rather it's better to have it when you need it, than needing it but not having it. It's not taking up any space to speak of, nor slowing the phone down. To purposely remove it just so you have to stream is flat out wrong..... Just like the removable battery... Not all utilize like I do. Just like the SD card or any other thing...

The people who only stream their stuff have to remember this.

Mac

I get your whole "I would rather have it then not have it" idea and that works for you but .. not for me. I am not going to require an FM radio in a phone in order to buy it. You may differ .. and yes having it isn't a negative. I am just saying it isn't a buying factor. I am not saying something like "I wouldn't buy it if it had it" -- Just saying not a staple feature for me.

I get the hunting thing -- I have friends who hunt as well... But if I went I would just listen to music off of my phone versus FM radio. While I do stream a lot of my videos I currently have all of my playlists downloaded to my phone so I don't have to stream. I simply just have huge playlists on Google Play Music and tap the PIN icon.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Is the V20 the best phone you've ever had?

Is it or was it the best phone you've ever owned? I had many favorites including the Galaxy S5 and Galaxy S6 Active (S5 had a removable battery, IR blaster, AMOLED screen, water-resistance, flat glass for easy protector install, heart rate monitor). I've owned the S8 Plus and didn't like it. The V20 has to be my top favorite of all time, though it's not perfect it does satisfy my needs in a phone. Used to be a strictly Samsung fan but glad I had an open mind and tried the V20, really loving it. Hope it lasts forever! It'll be a collectors item because of the removable battery. Kinda wish I kept my S5!

lucfig

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: Is the V20 the best phone you've ever had?

For me was the Nexus 6p and the original Moto x.

Kind of regret buying the v20, I'm a stock Android fan and can't accept a phone of these specs to lag when opening notifications tray or apps overview.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Is it or was it the best phone you've ever owned? I had many favorites including the Galaxy S5 and Galaxy S6 Active (S5 had a removable battery, IR blaster, AMOLED screen, water-resistance, flat glass for easy protector install, heart rate monitor). I've owned the S8 Plus and didn't like it. The V20 has to be my top favorite of all time, though it's not perfect it does satisfy my needs in a phone. Used to be a strictly Samsung fan but glad I had an open mind and tried the V20, really loving it. Hope it lasts forever! It'll be a collectors item because of the removable battery. Kinda wish I kept my S5!

Why did you guys move the thread? I was asking a question

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

For me was the Nexus 6p and the original Moto x.

Kind of regret buying the v20, I'm a stock Android fan and can't accept a phone of these specs to lag when opening notifications tray or apps overview.

Strange, the V20 was the fastest phone I've owned. I thought it was faster than the S8. I can't go with the Pixel because of the lack of expandable storage.

lucfig

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site

Strange, the V20 was the fastest phone I've owned. I thought it was faster than the S8. I can't go with the Pixel because of the lack of expandable storage.
The Nexus was faster for me. But I will try formatting and see if it gets better.

The main complain I have is the lack of bootloader unlocking tool for the version I own. This is the main reason I don't consider this the best.

Hardware wise it is a beast, but I don't like LG software.