This is a great phone...

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Samsung has more money therefore more marketing campaigns and sales reps pushing their phones. Heck, you can go inside Best Buy and check out the Samsung mini store (actually used to work there). I think some Macy's women's now have a Samsung/Best Buy store inside as well selling Samsung phones and tablets. LG doesn't have that kind of power to have their own stores. Lots of dollars being spent to pay reviewers under the table to say good things about their phone ("check out the new HTC 11 guys, it's a fantastic phone!" for example). LG actually paid for Zack from JerryRigEverything to do a test on their G6 phone to market it's durability.

Yeah... And that didn't go to well for them...

Mac

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Samsung has more money therefore more marketing campaigns and sales reps pushing their phones. Heck, you can go inside Best Buy and check out the Samsung mini store (actually used to work there). I think some Macy's women's now have a Samsung/Best Buy store inside as well selling Samsung phones and tablets. LG doesn't have that kind of power to have their own stores. Lots of dollars being spent to pay reviewers under the table to say good things about their phone ("check out the new HTC 11 guys, it's a fantastic phone!" for example). LG actually paid for Zack from JerryRigEverything to do a test on their G6 phone to market it's durability.

Don't be deceived, LG has a ton of money too. Maybe not as much, but certainly way up there in the Trillions.. You have to look at the whole picture including the profit margins as well. They have never been known to advertise like them. If they did........

Mac

jmssarno

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Samsung & Apple have huge budgets in terms of marketing. Samsung is all over television programming, therefore they "must be good". It's unfortunate that a majority of people think like this. "It's on TV so it must be the best"

I can't tell you how many times I've heard that and similar statements as well... I understand reaching the mass market to sell their devices. Apple & Samsung have it locked down. The Samsung "store" in Best Buy as an example.... Although I know a Samsung employee who uses a Nexus 6P when not at "work".

Unfortunately marketing plays a major role in "what is the best device out there". I'm sure if LG, One Plus, or Huawei, had huge or similar marketing budgets and were "everywhere" as Samsung & Apple are, then the masses would be talking about how good they are...
Because it's on TV

It's not a knock on Samsung or Apple, as their devices are top notch. I've owned both, and I'm typing this on a LG V20. My previous device was a Nexus 6...

To me, it all comes down to preference. What the user wants and needs. Although I must say, I know people who have both Apple & Samsung's latest devices...
And have no clue how to really take advantage and get the most out of their devices, respectively...

It's a shame that for some, it all comes down to who has the coolest commerical.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Samsung & Apple have huge budgets in terms of marketing. Samsung is all over television programming, therefore they "must be good". It's unfortunate that a majority of people think like this. "It's on TV so it must be the best"

I can't tell you how many times I've heard that and similar statements as well... I understand reaching the mass market to sell their devices. Apple & Samsung have it locked down. The Samsung "store" in Best Buy as an example.... Although I know a Samsung employee who uses a Nexus 6P when not at "work".

Unfortunately marketing plays a major role in "what is the best device out there". I'm sure if LG, One Plus, or Huawei, had huge or similar marketing budgets and were "everywhere" as Samsung & Apple are, then the masses would be talking about how good they are...
Because it's on TV

It's not a knock on Samsung or Apple, as their devices are top notch. I've owned both, and I'm typing this on a LG V20. My previous device was a Nexus 6...

To me, it all comes down to preference. What the user wants and needs. Although I must say, I know people who have both Apple & Samsung's latest devices...
And have no clue how to really take advantage and get the most out of their devices, respectively...

It's a shame that for some, it all comes down to who has the coolest commerical.

Apple finally leaving Samsung alone now that they are sorta business partners buying half their parts from them lol they used to go at it pretty hard with their commercials.

Apple user to other Apple user: "Dude, you're a barista." Referring to Apple users as hipsters.

https://youtu.be/GWnunavN4bQ

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I gotta say that this phone does a awesome job playing music. I'm just chilling right now listening to KSHE live fm waiting to clock in for work...

I don't know about being a barista... Lol... But I am a firm believer in in Ota radio

Mac

LGMOfield

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I just wish LG would leave Android and bring WEB OS to their phones.
WEB OS did things before Android just in the past years started doing.
LG has the OS in their appliances and tv's.
The only reason I have LG is because they bought WEB OS from Palm/HP otherwise I would probably have an HTC .
I love the v20, great phone.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I gotta say that this phone does a awesome job playing music. I'm just chilling right now listening to KSHE live fm waiting to clock in for work...

I don't know about being a barista... Lol... But I am a firm believer in in Ota radio

Mac

I listen to music at work

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The phone has 0 lags or studders in anything I've done, and for a older SOC that in itself is a good thing.

The V20 isn't even a generation old! Lol. Don't get me wrong, I love the phone, but I can't help but laugh at any phone not released in the past month with hardware that's been out more than 1.5 months being called old or outdated. [/sarcasm]

If the adage that computers are obsolete by the time you open the box is true, then smartphones must be obsolete before the first one even rolls off the production line.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The V20 isn't even a generation old! Lol. Don't get me wrong, I love the phone, but I can't help but laugh at any phone not released in the past month with hardware that's been out more than 1.5 months being called old or outdated. [/sarcasm]

If the adage that computers are obsolete by the time you open the box is true, then smartphones must be obsolete before the first one even rolls off the production line.

Yeah....821....real old....lol

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I just wish LG would leave Android and bring WEB OS to their phones.
WEB OS did things before Android just in the past years started doing.
LG has the OS in their appliances and tv's.
The only reason I have LG is because they bought WEB OS from Palm/HP otherwise I would probably have an HTC

In have no idea if that's a good thing. I had a palm pilot but don't recall what the OS was. Lack of apps would be my concern.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site

Just so you know... There was no dig intentionally on my part foisted with my statement... It was meant as I intended it to be.. It is a older chipset as compared to the 835 one out now, which many folks and tech writers, and reviewers live and breathe by with having to have the "latest and greatest" thing out otherwise to them it's outdated... I was expressing my overwhelming joy that this phone is just as capable as any of the newer phones... Irregardless.. of these others opinions... (Yes it irks me too... Lol)

Mac

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Just so you know... There was no dig intentionally on my part foisted with my statement... It was meant as I intended it to be.. It is a older chipset as compared to the 835 one out now, which many folks and tech writers, and reviewers live and breathe by with having to have the "latest and greatest" thing out otherwise to them it's outdated... I was expressing my overwhelming joy that this phone is just as capable as any of the newer phones... Irregardless.. of these others opinions... (Yes it irks me too... Lol)

Mac

There are some minor advantages. Nothing to right home about except the fact it is ready for 8.0. The 821 needs a little work but Qualcomm support will get there. The minor speed advantages matter to those who want the latest and greatest. The 821 is fine, the 820 is fine. They all work fast enough as far as I can tell. I'm sure soon we will get an 836, 840 , or 845.... Who knows?

Ejjba

Dec 25, 2015
Visit site
There are some minor advantages. Nothing to right home about except the fact it is ready for 8.0. The 821 needs a little work but Qualcomm support will get there. The minor speed advantages matter to those who want the latest and greatest. The 821 is fine, the 820 is fine. They all work fast enough as far as I can tell. I'm sure soon we will get an 836, 840 , or 845.... Who knows?

Is there really going to be a problem with v20 getting next generation android system.
The phone is not a year old. That would really be silly. Wow I hope not

mrdave570

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
When I tell friends who are Apple or Samsung owners that I can remove my battery and change it, they are stunned to know that this is still possible. Twice I had to prove I wasn't lying by replacing it. When they came out with the V20, this feature was not heavily promoted. My friends are used to half dead Samsung batteries after a year and getting a new one installed or going to the Apple store to get a refurbished battery. Now that the V20 price is half, people ought to jump on it because this may be the last one......

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Your a Chinese minority like me?

No.. I belong to the minority of people who demand a removable battery in their cell phone.. I also am in the smaller minority of people who demand a working fm radio in their phones.

See I believe that people are being brainwashed into giving these things up for the sake of thinner waterproof phones, " form over function" That this is somehow more acceptable than you being able to keep your phone running longer and using less data. This brainwashing is all part of their... Planned Obsolescence... and is nothing more but a money grab on their part.

Folks can try to sugar coat it however they like, but this is exactly what it is and designed to do especially here in the US and also with the carriers being allowed to pick and choose what features they have enabled and carry with their buy in policies on the devices.

Nope... I'm not a Chinese minority, but a very different kind of minority companies hate ... I'm a informed consumer...

Mac

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Phones that are 2-3 years old from today still make excellent daily drivers. Much better than mid range or low end phones today (Galaxy Note 4 still a great device). They usually suffer some type of lag, usually due to an OS update causing the phone to use up more resources than it can handle.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Well if it's just system updates that is adding bloat, I will use the package disabler from the play store and call it a day... That's always worked for me, including now on my v20.

Mac

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
No.. I belong to the minority of people who demand a removable battery in their cell phone.. I also am in the smaller minority of people who demand a working fm radio in their phones.

See I believe that people are being brainwashed into giving these things up for the sake of thinner waterproof phones, " form over function" That this is somehow more acceptable than you being able to keep your phone running longer and using less data. This brainwashing is all part of their... Planned Obsolescence... and is nothing more but a money grab on their part.

Folks can try to sugar coat it however they like, but this is exactly what it is and designed to do especially here in the US and also with the carriers being allowed to pick and choose what features they have enabled and carry with their buy in policies on the devices.

Nope... I'm not a Chinese minority, but a very different kind of minority companies hate ... I'm a informed consumer...

Mac

To be truthful, it's just how it is. The average American didn't even know they had a removable battery on their phone. I used to work at Best Buy for Samsung and have seen customers coming in complaining about terrible battery life. I would pop open the battery door and see a battery that has swelled up and is in bad shape. I then recommend them buying a new battery. When asked where, I'd say, "you can buy it online". Most people really aren't tech savvy and just need a phone that they can plug in and go. Hence why Samsung removed a lot of gimmicky features and slimmed down on features, no one knew there was an IR blaster on their phone or how to use it, or how to use all those gesture features. We would schedule training classes to teach people these things. I hope LG can market the V series to the more tech savvy pro users like us who needs and wants all these features.

Planned Obsolescence is true, whether you believe it or not. At least for some manufactures. I used to update customer's phones at Best Buy for Samsung and those with older devices would get the final OS update that would make their device so slow, it's barely useable. An S4 back in the day would have been lightning fast with 3GB if RAM and Snapdragon 600. Still pretty decent specs right? Try using it today with the updated OS, camera opens after you wait 15 seconds...