Idol 3 4.7 6039S Unlocked MM update w/Tracfone sim

jstorm42

Dec 10, 2016
Visit site
I am using the above mentioned phone with a Tracfone sim. Bought it unlocked and am still waiting for 6.0. Does the OTA upgrade have to come through Tracfone( which will never happen) or will it use wifi? What server is it using on wifi? I do know about the Mobile Upgrade Q software option. Is that my only option?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. I don't think that Alcatel updates Android.

2. Tracfone definitely doesn't.

So 3. you'll probably have to do it manually - assuming that Alcatel wrote 6.0 for the particular model phone.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Assuming the phone is factory unlocked and was never kicked to a carrier.: If there is an update for the 4.7 it would come from Alcatel. I would try removing the sim, restarting the phone, and checking for updates while connected to Wi-Fi.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
1. I don't think that Alcatel updates Android.

2. Tracfone definitely doesn't.

So 3. you'll probably have to do it manually - assuming that Alcatel wrote 6.0 for the particular model phone.
The unlocked idol 3 5.5 has been updated to marshmallow and nougat is promised.

jstorm42

Dec 10, 2016
Visit site
Tried updating with sim removed, wifi on. Still saying software up to date. Guess my only option is the Mobile Upgrade Q software through the pc. Haven't heard good things with that, though most of the problems with it seem to come from overseas with the other models of 6039.