Kindle 7th generation won't charge

Kyleluvsandroid

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
kindle 7th generation wont charge. I took it and charge port looks good but I hit with the soldering iron and it seemed to help for a day and now it won't charge. Known good cable and brick, charges every other device plugged into it, including a 6th gen kindle. I saw test points on the board, ID, DP, DW, and VCHG by the charge port and VBAT, GND, ID, and NTC by the battery. I was wondering which ones to check and what voltages to expect to make sure power is making to the kindle. It is so annoying that these don't have a charge light. If I mess with it enough it will start charging. Got up to about 75% then in the morning it was at 0% and shut off, plugged in the whole time.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I hit with the soldering iron and it seemed to help for a day and now it won't charge.
Probably still a bad solder joint on one of the charging pins.

I was wondering which ones to check
You don't. Unsolder the port, temove it, clean the board with a toothbrush and alcohol (first wick off any solder remaining), put the port back in and properly* solder all the pins back.

*Heat the pins and board, then flow a little solder onto the pin, not onto the iron.

If I mess with it enough it will start charging.
A sign of a bad solder connection on the port.

Got up to about 75% then in the morning it was at 0% and shut off, plugged in the whole time.
Sounds like it may be a bad battery too. Fix the port first, then see what happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress