[GUIDE] Miscellaneous Troubleshooting

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you're poking around this forum, chances are you're looking for an answer to some odd glitch on your Android device. In this guide, I will try to touch on as many common issues and their respective troubleshooting steps as I can, but of course, this will by no means be totally comprehensive. I will try to update this guide continuously and add more tips as I think of them, so check back periodically!

Problem: Battery Charging Issues

If your battery seems to run down too quickly, or it charges sluggishly, or it doesn't hold a charge, then it could be failing. The average battery should last at least 2-3 years, but it can depend on usage patterns -- e.g., letting the battery drain to 0% on a regular basis can shorten overall battery life. Batteries are not immune to defects, either -- even if the battery is brand new, it could fail early if defective. A quick and dirty way of testing your battery (if you can remove it) is to place it flat on a table and try to spin it. If it spins freely, that means it's bulging in the middle, which is a sign of failure. But even if it doesn't spin, it may be worth trying a new battery.

Other problem points to consider are the charging cable or the charging port. USB cables can fail -- the wires inside the cable can fray or lose their contacts, thus causing problems with charging or with data transfer. The charging block (if separate from the cable) can also malfunction or be defective. Try using a different charger/cable.

If the charging port is faulty, it'll probably need to repaired by a qualified technician, unless you're a MacGyver type who likes to open things up and get your hands dirty.
[TIP]See other battery tips here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ambassador-guides-tips-how-s/298919-guide-battery-saving-tips.html[/TIP]
Problem: Headphones Not Working Properly

If you're having issues with sound in only one ear, or poor sound quality (i.e., very tinny sound), then consider the following:

1. Make sure the headphone plug is pushed in all the way. You should feel and/or hear it click into place. Some devices have a pretty tight headphone jack.
  2. Lint or other debris can get trapped in the jack. Use a damp toothpick to root around, or a can of compressed air to blow the jack out.
If you have headphones with a microphone or remote controls (i.e., for pause, play, FF/RW, etc.), remember that headphone jacks across different devices may be configured differently. Many headphones on the market are designed for iOS devices, which configure their headphone jacks differently from most Android devices. So if your headphones specifically say "For iPhone/iPad," there's a good chance the mic or remote controls won't work correctly. Look for headphones that specify Android compatibility.

Problem: What's That Tone?

If you hear an odd notification tone that is different from your usual tone, it's probably due to one of the following:

1. Some app that is causing notifications that don't appear in the Notification Bar. This used to be a common issue with Yahoo Mail, for example.
  2. NFC (Near Field Communication). If NFC is turned on, it may give you a distinctive notification tone if the device is near something else with an NFC chip (like another device, or certain credit cards).

Problem: Screen Stays On While Charging

Your Developer Options are likely turned on, and the "Stay Awake" option checked. You might have done this at some point while fiddling with the Developer Options, but more likely, someone at your wireless provider activated it while transferring contacts from your previous phone. This is apparently common practice at wireless stores, so that the screen doesn't keep going to sleep while plugged into the transfer device. They're supposed to turn the feature off when they're done, but sometimes they forget. Go to Settings>Developer Options, and uncheck "Stay Awake."

Problem: Wi-Fi Issues

See this: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...roubleshooting-wi-fi-connection-problems.html

Problem: General App Issues

If a particular app is spazzing out, here are some things to try:

1. Go to Settings>Apps>All, select the app in question, and tap Force Stop. Then open it again.
  2. Clear the app cache by going to the same menu as above, tapping the Storage section, then Clear Cache. You could also try Clear Data, but this may erase more important app data (like saved game progress, account information, etc.).
  3. Uninstall and then reinstall the app.
  4. Go to Google Play Store and make sure you have the most up-to-date version.
  5. Maybe you're not alone. Read through some of the app's reviews on Google Play, and see if anyone else is describing similar problems. Make sure to send feedback to the developer, either from within the app itself, or through Google Play (scroll down the app page to the Developer section and tap "Send Email").

Problem: Insufficient Storage Warning

See this: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...roid-memory-how-deal-low-memory-warnings.html

Problem: Google Apps Not Syncing

1. Go to Settings>Data Usage, tap Menu, and make sure "Auto-sync Data" is checked on. [TIP]Alternatively, use the stock Power Controls widget or a 3rd party toggle widget like Power Toggles to access the Auto-sync Data toggle quickly and easily.[/TIP]
  2. Go to Settings>Accounts-Google>[your Google account], and make sure the Google apps in question have Sync turned on.

Problem: MicroSD Card Issues

If you notice that your external SD card is no longer being read, or certain files are no longer accessible, then try some of the following:

1. Check to see if the card is fully seated in its slot. Minor bumps or jarring can sometimes cause the card to come loose. With most devices, the card should click into place with a spring-lock action, but with others, it may just be a matter of pushing it in all the way.
  2. Unmount the card, remove it, and insert it into your computer. Can you access all of the files there? If so, back them all up, then run chkdsk to look for corruption: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...guide-using-chkdsk-fix-corrupted-sd-card.html. If there are a few bad sectors, you could try to repair them using chkdsk, but if corruption is widespread, you may have to reformat the SD card, copy the files back, and reinsert the card into your device to see if it works.[WARN]Always remember to Unmount external SD cards before removing them whenever possible, in the Settings>Storage menu. If you remove them without unmounting them, there is a risk of causing corruption if the device is in the middle of writing data -- like unplugging a computer while the hard drive is writing to disk.[/WARN]
  3. Buy only SD cards with reputable brand names, and from trusted stores. The market is flooded with low quality cards, as well as counterfeit ones. Good brand names like Sandisk, Samsung, and Toshiba (to name a few) will be more likely to have better quality control, and therefore less chance of failure. Purchasing those cards from well-established sources like Amazon or Best Buy will reduce the risk of counterfeits, although this is certainly not a guarantee. But buying that cheap 128 GB microSD card from some schmoe on eBay is definitely going to increase the possibility of a counterfeit. [TIP]SD Insight is an app that can give you the true information about the card.[/TIP]
Problem: General Weirdness

The system cache partition is used by Android to store various bits of temporary system data, like the .apk installer files downloaded from Google Play when you select an app to install. Some of this data might ultimately contribute to various problems with performance or proper operation, so it never hurts to wipe the cache partition, if the device has the capability. Be assured that wiping the cache partition does not erase any personal data or settings. It is also worth pointing out that this is different from wiping individual app caches, which can be done from the Settings>Apps menu -- but the data in individual app caches usually doesn't impact general system performance.

In order to wipe the cache partition, you need to boot the device into the Recovery Menu. Most devices are capable of this, but some won't allow it using their stock Recovery -- you would need to root and then install a custom recovery like ClockworkMod. Below are a number of links describing the cache partition wipe process on various devices. (As you can tell, T-Mobile is quite good about making this information about its devices easily available.)

Reset: Google Nexus 4 | T-Mobile Support
http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-5-rooting-roms-hacks/352008-guide-nexus-5-recovery.html
http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...e-nexus-7-2012-2013-cache-partition-wipe.html
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html
Reset: Samsung Galaxy S 4 | T-Mobile Support
Reset: Samsung Galaxy S 5 | T-Mobile Support
Reset: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | T-Mobile Support
Reset: HTC One (LTE) | T-Mobile Support
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...ow-reboot-into-stock-recovery-htc-one-m8.html
https://motorola-global-portal.cust..._id/94946/p/30,6720,8696/kw/cache/action/auth (Moto X & G)
https://motorola-global-portal.cust..._id/93895/p/30,6720,8697/kw/cache/action/auth (Droid Ultra/Maxx/Mini)
https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/93162/p/30,6720,8579 (Droid Razr HD/Maxx HD pre-KitKat)
https://forums.motorola.com/posts/f75a168264 (Droid Razr HD/Maxx HD post-KitKat)
Wipe Cache Partition - DROID RAZR / RAZR MAXX by MOTOROLA
Reset: LG G2 | T-Mobile Support

If you don't see your device, do a Google search for "[your device] wipe cache partition" or "[your device] reset." Often, a support page that discusses how to hard reset a device will also mention wiping the cache partition. If you still can't find a section on wiping the cache partition, then look for any webpage or video about resetting your device that shows the following Recovery Menu or something similar:

N5.jpg
You might find a video about how to do a hard factory reset of your device, but makes no mention of the cache partition wipe. If you see the above screen in that video, then you'll know that wiping the cache is a possibility on your device.

[WARN]Whatever you do, make sure you avoid selecting Wipe Data/Factory Reset, which will completely wipe your device (unless, of course, you want to do a full reset). Don't be too worried, though -- if you accidentally select it, you'll get several prompts afterwards asking if you're sure.[/WARN]
Problem: Still Generally Weird

If the cache partition wipe didn't help, consider the following:

1. If you have an external microSD card, unmount it and remove it, then reboot. A corrupt microSD card can impact performance.
  2. Did the general weirdness start after a recent app installation? Try uninstalling your most recently installed or updated apps.
  3. Last resort: full factory data reset.

Last edited:

smokeandkill

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I attempted to root my Droid Razr Maxx HD xt9 26 which I now realize I should not have seeing as it is not rootable and I got it back to where it needs to be to set up, I have no service on the phone was using it with wifi but now I am unable to toggle on wifi so I am also unable to use some of the phone software I believe if I just got the wifi to work I could finish repairing my phone to work properly.

Posted via Android Central App

Hugh Mckernan

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I was wondering if you might be able to help me please. I have a Galaxy Y & when I am on a call my ear touches the screen. That wouldn't be a problem but i keep putting people on hold. This is whecking my head & the people that I continuously put on hold.Is there some way I can get rid of this or just disable it. Before I end up throwing my phone at the nearest wall.
Thanks.
Hugh J McKernan.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Is the screen turning off when the phone is against your ear on a call? If not, then something might be interfering with the proximity sensor, which is usually right near the earpiece. Make sure the area is clean and not blocked by a case or screen protector. Some devices inexplicably have the proximity sensor recessed in a tiny hole, where dirt or other debris can get stuck--if that's the case with your phone, make sure that hole is clean and free of debris.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I was wondering if you might be able to help me please. I have a Galaxy Y & when I am on a call my ear touches the screen. That wouldn't be a problem but i keep putting people on hold. This is whecking my head & the people that I continuously put on hold.Is there some way I can get rid of this or just disable it. Before I end up throwing my phone at the nearest wall.
Thanks.
Hugh J McKernan.

I have put myself in the habit of locking the phone after the call connects. The only time I don't is if I call my bank and use the automated system.

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez