Google Play system updates on Android 10?

android_freak1

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I had updated my Samsung Galaxy S10e phone to Android 10 and according to the info below, security updates should be managed and installed from the Google Play Store.

Question is, for this feature to work, will I need to stay signed in to Google Play once I sign-in to Google Play?
The only time I sign-in to the Play Store, is when I need to download and install apps and that is it and then I sign-out.

https://www.android.com/android-10/

With Google Play system updates, important Security and Privacy fixes can now be sent directly to your phone from Google Play, just the same way all your other apps update. So you get these fixes as soon as they are available.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's an interesting question, then -- I'm not sure what happens to those updates. It probably still updates, kind of like how Google Play Services will update in the background regardless of the Google account.

android_freak1

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Actually, despite having that feature on my phone, it will not work because I purchased my S10e phone with Android 8 or 9 (cant remember exactly). In order for the Google Play System Updates to work, you need to purchase a device that already has Android 10 on it.

android_freak1

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
When I sign-in into Google Play, then I see the option Google Play System Update with security patch Jan.1.
Now when I remove my Google account from the Settings/Accounts page, then I do not even see Google Play System Update, only after when I sign-in to Google Play then the option appears again under Biometrics and Security.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
When I sign-in into Google Play, then I see the option Google Play System Update with security patch Jan.1.
Now when I remove my Google account from the Settings/Accounts page, then I do not even see Google Play System Update, only after when I sign-in to Google Play then the option appears again under Biometrics and Security.
You trying see if it gets updated without a account?

android_freak1

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Its just my standard security protocol. I do this for every sites that require signing in, not just Google Play.
With that said, I will stay signed in to the Google Play Store to see if Google Play System Updates are functional.

My next question would be, what is the difference between the Security Update and the Google Play System Update?
Would the Security Update be slower on pushing out the Android security patches? Does the Google Play System Update only focuses on just the Android security patches?

It is a bit confusing having to see two update locations: Security Update and Google Play System Update under the Biometrics and Security section.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I believe securty updates to play store is for apps and play store itself and regular security updates is for OS (andriod)

Signing in/out is your personal choice but not seeing good point on doing that .

I think if you like more Information on this sort of stuff should look into being a Andriod developer learn coding to get better picture what's going on .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress