Question Are Android 10 devices still getting Play System Updates and system security patches?

ashune

Feb 4, 2018
Visit site
A family member is still using a Galaxy S9 which runs Android 10. Are Android 10 devices still getting Google Play System Updates? I think their device still shows a version of it from May 2023 and doesn't currently offer any newer versions. Regarding system security patches, I don't think that device is getting any new ones, unless I'm wrong. Does Google itself even make new security patches for Android 10?

Paywand Ako

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
A family member is still using a Galaxy S9 which runs Android 10. Are Android 10 devices still getting Google Play System Updates? I think their device still shows a version of it from May 2023 and doesn't currently offer any newer versions. Regarding system security patches, I don't think that device is getting any new ones, unless I'm wrong. Does Google itself even make new security patches for Android 10?
Some give their old phones security updates probably up to 5 years after release, some companies do claim to push updates further down the road. in your case the phone is 5.5 years old so i would assume its done and not getting more updates anymore.

ashune

Feb 4, 2018
Visit site
Play system updates, yes. May isn't that old, my Flip 5 shipped with May and only just got updated to August.

The security update is pushed by the manufacturer though, and the S9 support period is long over. .
Interesting. Does Google push Play System Updates or do the manufacturers do that too?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I was discussing this in another forum recently -- I do actually suspect that devices stop getting Google Play system updates after some time. I have a 1st gen Pixel and a Lenovo Tab M8 FHD, both on Android 10, and the last Google Play system update they got is also May 2023. No one on the other forum was aware of an expiration date for these kinds of updates, and I couldn't find any official info on the web. I guess I'll keep checking, but I'd be surprised to see any further updates after things being quiet for 4 months already.

ashune

Feb 4, 2018
Visit site
I was discussing this in another forum recently -- I do actually suspect that devices stop getting Google Play system updates after some time. I have a 1st gen Pixel and a Lenovo Tab M8 FHD, both on Android 10, and the last Google Play system update they got is also May 2023. No one on the other forum was aware of an expiration date for these kinds of updates, and I couldn't find any official info on the web. I guess I'll keep checking, but I'd be surprised to see any further updates after things being quiet for 4 months already.
Yeah. I always thought all phones would be receiving them as long as they also still receive Play Services updates.

I thought about recommending them a new phone for that reason (security updates) but the phone is still great in all other regards. Even I'm still occasionally using another Android 10 device as a secondary phone.

Reactions: B. Diddy

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah I haven't heard any set date for play system updates but I'm thinking a device with old Android version not getting security or software updates probably won't .

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter