PETITION: Oust OEM Skins!

Should OEM Skins be Offered in the Marketplace instead of Pre-Loaded?

• Total voters

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
What nobody is realizing, is that Google can not force anyone to do anything unless they abandon Android, and start new using code that isn't open source. You're wanting something you can never have.

Nobody forces you to buy the phone you did. You bought a phone with touchwiz or blur because you wanted to. As long as people keep wanting, they will keep being made, and carrier branded phones hardware locked phones will be the norm.

Reactions: ChrisGonzales90

ChrisGonzales90

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I think its fine as is. I for one like sense. It makes my android experience a lot more enjoyable. I also think there should be a simple "on/off switch" for the stock UI and the manufacturer UI.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
What nobody is realizing, is that Google can not force anyone to do anything unless they abandon Android, and start new using code that isn't open source. You're wanting something you can never have.

Nobody forces you to buy the phone you did. You bought a phone with touchwiz or blur because you wanted to. As long as people keep wanting, they will keep being made, and carrier branded phones hardware locked phones will be the norm.

What Google can do is not certify them to use Gmail, Google Market, Youtube.. all their closed source apps.

While yes I did purchase a DroidX.. I didn't purchase it for Blur.. I purchased it for the features..

If you purchased a laptop with a 3ghz quad core cpu, 8gb ram, 2 hd's, 1tb spindle and 256gb ssd but yet it's rockin XP.. what would you do to it?

dwhitman

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
If you purchased a laptop with a 3ghz quad core cpu, 8gb ram, 2 hd's, 1tb spindle and 256gb ssd but yet it's rockin XP.. what would you do to it?

I'd install a different operating system on it, just like I did on my Evo (rocking CM 6.1)

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
What Google can do is not certify them to use Gmail, Google Market, Youtube.. all their closed source apps.

While yes I did purchase a DroidX.. I didn't purchase it for Blur.. I purchased it for the features..

So people who use and enjoy value added software shouldn't be allowed to use Gmail, because you don't like it? Sounds like you're not only anti-open source, but anti-choice as well. If you didn't want blur and a locked bootloader, you shouldn't have bought a Droid X. That was a choice. Most people who did buy one, are very happy with blur and the functionality it adds to stock Android, regardless of what you read on the internet from folks who feel the need to bash Android at every turn.

And I wouldn't buy a computer that I was not free to fill with whatever software I like. Companies who make such products aren't getting my money.

bgc123

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
What I think manufacturers should do is give the option at the setup screen, like when you first bought the phone or after a factory reset. The option should be after touching the android icon where it would say "Please choose the experience you want. Do you want XXX skin (slower updates) or stock android (faster updates), don't worry, you can always change this later!" and provide screenshots of both. Therefore everybody will be happy. Oh, and they should have the same option as the Nexus One and S to unlock the bootloader with the "fastboot oem unlock" command.

Go Android!

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I LOVE Sense. It's actually useful unlike the other skins. I tried to use a different launcher, but I missed the Sense widgets.

And Sprint realizes this and their new phones have been coming out with Sprint id which is nearly stock.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty