Google Now not giving me appropriate cards and/or cards at wrong times

Souvik Basu

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone...This is my first post on Android Central. I have been reading the articles/threads/posts here for quite some time, and find them really informative and helpful. I am stuck with a weird situation with Google Now.
I read a lot about GNow when I bought my GS3 around a month back. Too excited to try it out, I went in the settings and switched everything on(location settings, web history, all cards etc). After about a month, GNow seems to be giving me inappropriate cards. For instance, for the last 2 days, at 2:30 in the morning, it has been giving me the traffic card with directions from office to home. When I click the information icon on the top right, it says "you tend to travel home around this time"...which is obviously not true. Then again, the card related to stocks gave me an update at 10 in the morning...just when the markets opened, but didn't show it to me ever after that. The stocks obviously changed value several times during the day, so why show it to me only once?

I am confused now. Is it that I'm expecting too much from Google Now after reading so much about it on the net? or am I going wrong somewhere in using it? Because if anything, GNow certainly doesn't appear to be the intelligent proactive assistant that so many articles on the net claim it to supposedly be.

Can anyone kindly help me understand this?
Thanks.................:)

NOTE : One other thing, though I'm not sure if this makes much of a difference. I'm from India...dunno if GNow is not ready yet to be as efficient in India as...maybe...the US. just wondering aloud:-\

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to AC and thanks for posting! Try going to settings/apps and clearing data from Google Search. Also, try leaving GPS turned ON with the device in question. Post back after a few days and let me know if it works.

Souvik Basu

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi Scott....thanks for the reply. I'll certainly do that and post back in a couple of days. :)
Can you tell me one other thing? Does GNow expect me to provide it with my home and work locations? Or is it smart enough to learn it by itself by tracking my location? Because even after 2 weeks, it didn't get these 2 on its own. I had to provide these details to get the relevant cards.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I set mine as well on most of my devices. I don't want to wait for it to figure out where I live. The time I let it figure it out it figured out the house down the street :p

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Additionally, after visiting the same location for a while, it should pick up on that and ask you if you care about travel times to that location. If you select 'yes', you can give the location a name. It's learned my frequent stops for work, the places I go climbing and running, and a few friends' places. It takes time for Now to gather enough data to produce accurate cards, and the more help you give it the better it will be. Keep location settings on if you can, and just get in the habit of checking somewhat frequently for new cards.

Souvik Basu

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi Patrick.....thanks for writing. I have my location search and web history on at all times. And I gave it almost two weeks to figure out my home and work location. Still it couldn't :(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non