Android RAM Use

B_Mullins

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Is there something funky about Android's use of RAM? I have an ASUS MeMO Pad 10 ME-102A with 16GB internal and a 32GB micro SD in the external slot. But when I look at current storage (either using an android app file manager or connecting it to my PC via USB yields the same numbers) I see a total of about 12 GB internal and 30 GB in the SD slot. WHAT gives? Is it just an anomaly of the Android OS? This is the 2nd tablet I've had and both show the exact same usage on the 32GB card.

Is there something I can do to recover the other 6GB (between the internal and SD slot) not showing? Or is it just a quirk of Android and how it formats RAM.

TIA

TOTtomdora

May 5, 2014
Visit site
First things, what you're talking about isn't RAM. You're thinking of storage.
Second, the reason for it is formatting and the filesystem.
So essentially, there's no way to use it because it's already in use.

SENT FROM MY NEXUS 7 USING TAPATALK.

B_Mullins

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
You're right, of course. It isn't system RAM it's more like the solid state equivalent of disk drives. I don't know why I referred to it that way. Anyhow, I figured that the non-visible/accessible memory locations were the result of file system etc. Guess I was hoping I was wrong. Anyhow, thanks for the reply. I find myself not especially liking Android as an OS. I've interacted with a lot of OSs and still find myself wishing I had some of what the boys and girls who initially designed Android were toking when they did it. From where I sit, it looks to have been primo.

Last edited by a moderator: