Trouble backing up contacts with Google.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Years ago when I got my HTC thunderbolt I backed up my contacts through Google. When I bought my S5 I lost a bunch of contacts that must not have synced properly because they were added after the initial sync. I also got some contacts back that I had deleted from my phone. I just checked on my phone and Google last synced today. Can anyone walk me through what might be preventing my contact data from updating through Google.

Posted via Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Do you still have your HTC? You might have saved those to the phone's local storage or disabled Google syncing (I doubt it was the latter).

Check your contacts on a PC browser from GMail. Those are the ones backed up to Google's servers. If the contacts aren't there, then they never synced, and you can also see if the ones you got back are still there, too.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
The HTC has been factory reset. I was just trying to check my Google contacts through the Google Apps. I guess I'll try it through my browser. I am not near a PC right now.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You can use your phone's browser, just request the Desktop Version. The contacts you see there are the ones stored in Google.
On your new phone, make sure that CONTACTS is selected to sync with your Google account and when creating a new contact, make sure that the sotrage location is pointing towards your Google account (you can have multiple accounts, so check which one you're saving them to!). You can test it out with creating a test contact, wait a few minutes, and then check if it was synced to Google's server.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
It looks like everything is set up properly. I had to use hangouts to find a contact list. I am not sure if that uses the contacts from my phone and the Google contacts or if it uses just one source. I am going to factory reset my old thunderbolt again just to see if my contacts that sync are up to date. I think my last factory reset did not sync all contacts on that phone.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hangouts (and mostly any app in your phone) read both Google contacts and those stored in your phone; some even from other sources, like Facebook or Skype. That's why I recommended taking a look at the Google Contact list on a browser (or mobile device with Desktop Version requested), because that way you are sure that's what's on their servers and not have any extra stuff that might show up.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Hangouts (and mostly any app in your phone) read both Google contacts and those stored in your phone; some even from other sources, like Facebook or Skype. That's why I recommended taking a look at the Google Contact list on a browser (or mobile device with Desktop Version requested), because that way you are sure that's what's on their servers and not have any extra stuff that might show up.

Yes, that's also why I was thinking about a factory reset on my old thunderbolt and then seeing what contacts get restored. I guess this has become a "When I get around to it" item at this point.

I'll update "When I get around to it".

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
My old Thunderbolt is missing some contacts that are on my S5. Instead of a factory reset I just went in and forced the phone to sync contacts from my google account. The missing contacts did not show up. I guess next I will have to force sync my S5 and see if it updates what's on google.