Play Music lockscreen widget in Lollipop gone? Frustration while driving.

varunaX

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
thanks, but what if i dont want any notifications to appear on my lockscreen? i just want the music widget to appear...

mrjspeed

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Go to settings>device>sounds and notifications >click while locked and choose show all content. This should fix it or you can individually choose application notifications. Hope this helps...

I agree this is helping people, but I don't think that option is disabled by default on a lot of phones. As the OP has mentioned, the current state of affairs with lock screen widgets are bad. I have a Moto X 2nd gen on 5.0, and a GS4 on 4.4.4. Guess which one I use for music in the car? GS4.

I, like many others here, will use this thread to rant a bit:
I use Spotify. The lockscreen widget on Android L is a joke. Pause/play, Skip forward, and ..... Close button? The damn thing is so small and the close button is right by the skip button. Guess how many times I've ended up just closing the app instead of skipping forward. Sure I can "pull down" to expand but that requires an extra step and looking at the screen... more dexterity requirements. Even then it is still tiny and useless in the car.

While we're at it, I just want to say that while there are a few good things about it, the notification concept is still flawed in Lollipop. Pull down to expand, but also... pull down to pull down? And sometimes when I have a lot of notifications I'm doing a lot of scrolling just to get to what I want, or to get to the quick settings. Sorry, two finger scroll is hard with one-handed use. And why can't I close apps by swiping to the side like I can dismiss notifications? I don't want an X button. Stop rubber banding and let me freaking close you if I want damnit.

Also while we're at it, the sound/vibrate/dnd in L is flawed too. If I'm Chromecasting I can only ever ever control volume on the Chromecast (um, wouldn't I just use TV remote in most cases?) I can't turn off my ringer or lower game volume if I want to play a game at the same time without using a separate 3rd party widget on the homescreen. Or if I'm only in a game I can't turn off notification sounds because it controls game/media volume unless I leave game and wait like 30 seconds. It's just not right I tell you!

Rant over. Google, please make it better.

kckndrgn

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Hay jonneh I just found a way to have your music on the lock screen so u can change it when ever u want.

To do this u have to go under the settings > sound and notifications then there should be at the bottom of the page notifications while locked change it from do not show any notification to show all contents

This will then allow you to see your notification on the lock screen also including the music bar.

I hope this help everyone

This appears to have worked for me.

Really hating this OS update, so many things have changed and not for the better, IMHO

Darthpapercut

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully, a good media player lock screen control app will be developed. Until that happens, here's what I'm using: Next Lock Screen
It's far better than Lollipop lock screen. And strangely enough, it's from Microsoft.:p

HelloH

May 21, 2015
Visit site
thanks, but what if i dont want any notifications to appear on my lockscreen? i just want the music widget to appear...

Exactly. No irritating and stressfull notifications, just the musicplayer. Am I the only one that use the mobile 80% percent of my usage-time for music? Otherwise maybe Google should target their targetgroup better.... Just dug out my old mp3-player.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I will say, LG's implementation on the G4 looks a bit better..same thing at its core, but something about it just looks better...maybe how they implemented pin code and all. It can be hidden on the screen, displaying the album work bright and full. I've moved on from my Nexus 5, sadly.

I'm okay with it now, at least.

ravitkhurana

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
You could use screen pinning as a workaround. By pinning your music app, android will show that app instead of the lock screen untill you unlock the screen.

Mebejedi

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Just wanted to say, I'm in the same boat. I love having lockscreen controls, especially when I was working in my garage last night and wanted to play tunes on my bluetooth loudspeaker and couldn't easily skip through songs occasionally. I've just tried two programs that work pretty well. Rocket Play works very well, and is free. The only (small) issue is that Google Play Music, which I was using before, was actually part of the Android Lock Screen, whereas in this program, you have to slide out of it, and then do the lockscreen to get back into the phone. Other than that, it's great.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
100% agree with this, why can't it be integrated with Google play...pretty weak. I would say this is my biggest pet peeve.

Posted via the Android Central App

Houston Millsap

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
Can anyone tell me if this has been fixed? I downgraded to kitkat to fix this and I want to know if I can upgrade yet. I might just wait til I can get marshmellow to see if it is fixed there.

Edit: I think I finally found a reason to buy a smart watch. So I can control the music on my phone while I drive. Or I can get a bluetooth remote for music but at least I can use a smart watch for other things.

Kristenson

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
I've waited so long this update for my Samsung Galaxy S5mini, and now just to discover that there's no seek options on lock screen...
one the most important thing when it comes to my everyday use of the smart phone, very disappointed.
:mad:

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams