Smart lock trusted places not working anymore

iAmApathetic

Aug 3, 2017
Visit site
So, I had it working at work, but not at home.

The weird thing now... I connect my Logitech Bluetooth keyboard that is set as a trusted device and if I wait long enough, I can actually see the lock icon change to unlock.

Seems to me this is only an issue with locations....

Like others, I wish I could set wifi as a trusted source.

iAmApathetic

Aug 3, 2017
Visit site
So, I had it working at work, but not at home.

The weird thing now... I connect my Logitech Bluetooth keyboard that is set as a trusted device and if I wait long enough, I can actually see the lock icon change to unlock.

Seems to me this is only an issue with locations....

Like others, I wish I could set wifi as a trusted source.

I put a shortcut to maps so when smart lock wasn't working at home I could check it. This time, I checked maps right after smart lock wasn't working and Google Maps shows that I'm about 3.5 km away from my home. I took a screenshot of this location, then found the address and added it to my trusted places. Now that it's added to trusted places, I can get into maps quickly, and I can watch my location flip back and forth between these two places.

That's really strange. I guess I'll be able to see if this location is consistent over the next few weeks...

Droidsgirl

Oct 30, 2017
Visit site
This happens to me once in awhile. Thought it was my phone, but actually it was the google maps app.

So now when this happens I open the map app and "drive" home by walking around house til the app shows I have arrived!

Hope this helps.

s004kcg

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I have a pixel xl and this feature stopped working for me at the last update. I was messing around and nothing here worked ...but... i got it to work by going to Security & location---> Apps with usage access and removing Google Play services usage access permission. so far it has worked and no issues ... yet

Citizenbrock

Mar 30, 2018
Visit site
I was fed up and tried everything. I found a work around. Set up multiple location in your home and around your house. Now it Works. Maybe this is not an elegant fix, but it has been working for me for over a month. Good luck.

GeoffNET

Apr 9, 2018
Visit site
Like many here, I've tried various fixes with temporary success. But I'd like to add one thing that might help:

If, like me, you're still kinda using your old phone (as a media player, etc.) and it has Location turned on, turn it off. Or even, turn the whole phone off. After doing this, my new phone has yet ask me for my password when I'm at home.

My thought is that, since both devices are signed in under the same Google account, they may be trying to send simultaneous signals claiming "I'm here!" And if these two signals are far enough apart, the margin of error on my exact location has to be big enough to include both, which could put me "potentially" outside my trusted place.

Except that it seems to forget overnight (after 4 hours of inactivity), but after leaving home and coming back, it remembers on its own. If this happens consistently, I will try loading an app that checks my location (like Transit, Maps, etc.) and seeing if it refreshes automatically.

Note: Sometimes my phone takes a few minutes to realize I'm in a trusted place, but after turning off my old phone, I have yet to resort to "clearing cache" or "toggling location for Google Play Services".

Last edited:

GeoffNET

Apr 9, 2018
Visit site
Update:

I let my phone stay inactive overnight and when I woke up, it asked for my fingerprint, as expected. Gave it a few minutes to see if it realized I was in a trusted place on its own -- it did not. Then, without leaving home, I loaded Maps (which gets my location) and then exited, and tested the Smart Lock again. It still asked for my fingerprint.

Combined with previous evidence, this seems to indicate it may just be that Smart Lock needs to request its own location refresh after the 4-hour inactivity period. My old phone (LG G4) did that on its own; I remember seeing the location icon appear briefly right after using it first thing in the morning.

I will try to send this feedback to Google via an appropriate method.

Mike Demosthenous

Nov 9, 2018
Visit site
If you leave your trusted location and then return it will be automatically enabled

Update:

I let my phone stay inactive overnight and when I woke up, it asked for my fingerprint, as expected. Gave it a few minutes to see if it realized I was in a trusted place on its own -- it did not. Then, without leaving home, I loaded Maps (which gets my location) and then exited, and tested the Smart Lock again. It still asked for my fingerprint.

Combined with previous evidence, this seems to indicate it may just be that Smart Lock needs to request its own location refresh after the 4-hour inactivity period. My old phone (LG G4) did that on its own; I remember seeing the location icon appear briefly right after using it first thing in the morning.

I will try to send this feedback to Google via an appropriate method.