Why aren't my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 priority notifications working properly?

Alan Auerbach

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Priority Notifications Problem

Last week, I upgraded my T-Mobile, Samsung Galaxy Note 3 to Lollipop. I do not know if I am not using Priority Notifications properly or it is not working correctly.

I have set a limited number of Contacts as favorite contacts. I have checked off only "phone calls" in Priority Interruptions; the other boxes are unchecked. "Allowed contacts" is "Favorite contacts only." Under "Allow only priority interruptions," I have checked off all days, set "Start time" to 1:00 AM and "End time" to 8:00 AM. At 3:30 AM today, I received two audible notifications (using Hands-Free announcements) of two instant messages from a "favorite contact." Is the problem that Hands-Free needs to be turned off manually or that priority interruptions is not working properly?

Thanks to anyone and everyone who lends assistance,
/s/ Alan

Followup.

The question is about messages (SMS/MMS). I have since discovered that the problem is with Hands Free Mode. Once allow only priority interruptions becomes active, the Hands Free icon grays out and cannot be touched. If Hands Free mode was on when allow only priority interruptions is active, it stays on, cannot be turned off and the message information is read aloud even if messages is not checked off as an allowed priority interruption. If Hands Free mode was off when allow only priority interruptions is active, it stays off and cannot be turned on. I believe this is a bug. If allow only priority interruptions is active, then for those items not checked off, the Hands Free condition should also be off. I think that is the intention but since what happens is that the current state is preserved and cannot be changed, announcements are made (interruptions) that should not be heard as messages are not checked as priority interruptions. By the way, the message alert sound is not heard, just the Hands Free announcement.

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Priority Notifications Problem

It depends on what kind of notifications the private message app is using. Messages, calls, events and reminders are blockable, other notifications aren't. (Here's Google's explanation.)