Trialling "The Nut" BT 4.0 tracker to keep phone unlocked

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
The idea:
I'm running Android 5.0, and thought I'd try using a Bluetooth tag with Lollipop's Trusted Devices security capability. This Smart Lock feature works well with my cars' BT connections and my Pebble watch, indeed also with my K810 keyboard as Trusted Devices. So well in fact that I have the Auto Lock set to just 1 minute and I'm not constantly having to enter the PIN. But, I'm not always wearing my Pebble when I'm out and about; is The Nut another way to keep the phone unlocked when the phone is within BT range of me and my car keys? I bought one to test it out.

The equipment:
Nexus 5 running Android 5.0.1 (build LRX22C)
Nut 2 intelligent Bluetooth tracking tag
Nut 2.4.0 app - https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.nut.blehunter&hl=en&token=6Ckn8xIM

The experience
I paid $15 for The Nut. It sounded a better deal than Tile, which was $35, only lasts a year with a non-replaceable battery, and has less functionality. The Nut worked for me as advertised. It was a pretty useful tracking device. I got someone to hide my keys in the house and found them by having The Nut on the keyring beeping madly on command from my Nexus 5. And did the reverse with the phone when it was hidden! Tracking outdoors seems to be functional; I didn't test any further by, say, having a friend wander off with my keys and attached Nut to see if I could track them on Nut app's map.

Plenty of bad reviews on Google Play and Amazon. Where the reviewer posted what phone they are using I see it is often not one of the supported models (listed below). Not sure what they were expecting then; a miracle, perhaps.

However - for my original idea of using The Nut's Bluetooth connection to prevent the phone from locking, it was a complete failure. While The Nut does actually pair with the phone - if it didn't, it would not work at all - it does not show up in the Bluetooth settings as a Paired device, only as an Available device. Therefore when I go to set it as a Trusted device with Smart Lock, it does not appear. Epic fail, for that purpose. And that is odd, given that there is clearly two way communication between the devices, but there is no pass code needed when pairing for the first time so something unusual is happening.

Nut2.jpg

Supported phones: Samsung Galaxy Note 2/Note 3/S3/S4/S5; Nexus 4/Nexus 5; Sony L36h (Xperia Z) L39H (Xperia Z1) XL39H (Xperia Z Ultra); HTC One/ HTC One M8; LG G2/G3

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I presume it's like a Fitbit and doesn't maintain a constant Bluetooth connection, but just connects and syncs periodically? Most fitness bands don't work as Trusted Devices for that reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress