AT&T OTA Lollipop Update - Now Notification Screen Times Out???

Nickerz

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I have an S5 (AT&T) and the day before yesterday I was prompted to update to Lollipop. At first it wouldn't because I didn't have enough space. I should have left it alone because I miss KitKat already. The buttons seem smaller on L, even the dialing screen seems cramped. The keyboard buttons look smaller and I can barely see the # or & symbols above the letters. I don't know if this has changed.

Anyway, my issue actually seems to be another app causing a problem. When I drag down the notification bar, after 5 seconds exactly, it times out, screen turns black and my phone is locked. ??? Now if I restart my phone, the issue goes away for maybe 30 min. to an hour then comes back. I called Samsung tech support yesterday and they had me back everything up, then restore it but I didn't restore the apps. All seemed fine. So I installed 4 apps and 4 only in the following order...

1. Dropbox
2. SpamDrain
3. CompanionLink
4. Cerberus

All was fine during the course of maybe 2-3 hours. No issues. After I installed Cerberus, later I noticed the issue came back. I tried uninstalling Cerberus but the issue is still there. My wife has Cerberus and her phone doesn't have this problem so I'm not sure if this is the problem. But she doesn't have CompanionLink or SpamDrain.

It's just frustrating...all was fine and I should have stayed with KitKat. From now on, I don't think I will update the OS until I get a new phone. Even if Lollipop is ok, which it seems it is, all the other app devs still have to update their stuff which can lead to more potential issues and bugs, etc. It's just not worth it. It seems like by the time things get settled down all "play nice together"...a new OS comes in and the frustration starts all over. ARG!!! But like I said, my issue might be from a 3rd party app than Lollipop. But I do miss the UI of the KitKat being bigger (at least it seems that way to me).

Nickerz

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Try booting into Safe Mode, which temporarily disables all 3rd party apps. https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-10696. If the problem disappears in Safe Mode, then it confirms that one of those apps you installed is causing the problem.

Thanks! This worked. Samsung tech support had me put my phone in safe mode & the issue went away, so it's definitely an app.

I'm still having other issues with CompanionLink, so this was the app causing the problems. CompanionLink did an update before I updated to Lollipop and it hasn't worked right since then. I think CompanionLink is interfering with lollipop a lot more than they realize.

Nickerz

May 16, 2011
Visit site
***NOW I KNOW WHICH APP WAS CAUSING MY ISSUE***

It’s an app called “TimeShare Demo” which I use to time/date stamp my notes. I forgot about reinstalling it until yesterday and today I noticed the problem came back so I immediately suspected this app. Sure enough when I uninstalled it, then restarted my phone, the problem was gone. When I pull down the notification menu, it won’t power off my phone after 5-6 seconds. This never happened when I was using it on KitKat 4.4.4 but when I upgraded to Lollipop 5.0 it’s an issue. I don’t think it’s a setting in the app. I emailed the developer to see what he says.

Anyone know of a good date/time stamp that can be used for entering notes? I liked this app because it will stay in the notification bar, simply swipe down on the screen, press the app icon and it copies the current date and time and you can paste it into anything you desire. I also like that you can choose from many different date/time formats. One I liked was…

Mon May 18, 2015 9:56:32 PM

I never had an issue until I updated to Lollipop so apparently the bugs aren’t worked out.