Background apps restarting

Teejai80

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I have a nexus 5, Completely stock and not rooted on 5.01. I seem to be plague with constant strange issues and constantly resetting the phone, which sort of defeats the point of having a nexus.

One of the constants is ram usages. My phone gets really really laggy. If I open up running apps they are all restarting. Restarting the phone helps, but it ends up just slowing down again.

Anything I can do to help this?

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 13423.jpg
    13423.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 19

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Lag isn't due to RAM usage. If Android needs more RAM space, it kills the least recently used app. If it needs still more, it kills the currently least recently used one.

Manually killing apps is what causes lag. If Android wants an app to stay in RAM and your "RAM cleaner app" wants to clean it out of RAM, they constantly load it, unload it, load it, unload it ... which kills the battery and causes the phone to lag. Uninstall any apps you have that "clean RAM" - and any other apps written by the companies that wrote those apps. If they don't understand how Android works, I wouldn't trust their apps.

If you want it from the programmer's finger (she's not a horse, and this isn't an audio file), read Multitasking the Android Way. Android doesn't want free RAM - it's not Windows.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Rukbat is right, but I suspect your problem is the memory leak bug many have seen in Lollipop. When things slow down, have you checked to see how much RAM is being used by System?

Teejai80

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
When did I say I was manually killing off apps or had an app to do that?

When it lags my ram usage is very high. Usually with less than 100mb left and all the apps in the list are "restarting" like in the screenshot. Is this normal?

I also had this problem on 5.0 and 4.4 I think.

Last edited:

Teejai80

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Oh and I am talking about 1-2 second redraw on the desktop. All apps take forever to load and the phone just feels slow.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Mine was doing this too. Multitasking was impossible because the system killed and restarted every app any time I minimized it. Play music and Maps were TERRIBLE. but I couldn't even go to the homescreen without it constantly redrawing it.

The fix was when 5.1 was released.

Posted via Android Central App

Teejai80

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Sorry was waiting for it to go high again. It is at least 1gb, pretty sure I have seen 1.1gb

Also I am on 5.1 and not 5.01

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that's the memory leak bug. You can try updating to 5.1.1, or a factory reset, but it's the operating system, not you or your apps.

Teejai80

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Just got the 5.1.1 update this morning. Can't be bothered wiping again, tried that a few times.

Oh well, maybe next phone will be better.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non