issue with default nougat 7.1.2. sound recorder / lost files

ivb2

Feb 22, 2018
Visit site
Hi. I have had a serious issue with the Sound Recorder app that comes in-built with Nougat 7.1.2., which caused me to lose a very important recording. I started recording (it was a research interview), and paused after 2 hours. After about 10 minutes, I decided to stop the recording and save it. The problem was though that at this point the stop button was greyed out. There is no button for save as such in the application, a save or cancel window pops up after pressing stop. The second option (other than stop) is to resume the recording, which I have tried doing, seeing that I could not stop it- I figured the stop button will be reactivated.
However, what happened was that it simply discarded the whole recording and started a new one...even though the paused recording was on the screen, meaning that the "record" button referred to "resume" not to "start new recording". So as a consequence the recording was simply lost. Any ideas if there is a way to recover this and how?

I have tried the free version of GT recovery so far, did not find anything and looking for "cache", ".amp" (audio files format) and date as usually appearing in file name (i.e. "2018-02-21") in the phone's internal storage (via Win10 laptop with phone plugged in on usb), also not finding anything.

The app has 24KB of cache- though I strongly doubt that a 2 hour recording would be that small- it might be worth a try. However, I did not a way to access this. Hoping to get some help on this, or other ideas.

Thanks!
Eli

P.S. I did write to support, and will keep you updated. In case no solution is found, I would strongly advise anybody against ever using this application.

UglyStuff

Jan 27, 2018
Visit site
What brand and model is your phone? Does it run on a 64-bit CPU? In 32-bit platforms (and apps), the size of files is limited to roughly 2 Gb in some cases, and recording will stop when you reach that mark.

I have an iPhone 4 running 32-bit iOS 7.x, and when I shoot videos, the camera stops shooting after a while, and sure enough, when I check the size of the video recording, it's about 2 Gb.

In the case of audio recordings, though, it's rare to reach such a limit, unless you recorded via your camera app, but placed the phone on a table, so that the camera didn't catch any images.

Also, the bigger the file, the more RAM you'll need on your device to cache the content and read it via the dedicated app, so if your device has little RAM, that could set a limit too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress