Android 7 Dropbox offline file location?

marky000

May 24, 2018
Visit site
Have a tablet running Android 7.

Before it updated to Android 7, the Dropbox app would store offline files under internal storage/android/data/com.dropbox.android/files/scatch.

Now after Android 7, it appears to be storing offline files at com.dropbox.android.filecache/filecache/xxxxxxx(long string of hex numbers and letters). I only know this because when I open an HTML file in dropbox, that's the path that appears in the browser address bar.

Problem is, when I go to this location, I can't find it when I use the My Files app in Android. The filecache folder does not exist.

Now this is a big issue. My client use software that produces a delivery runbook (html file) to throw newspapers. There are some GIF images that need to be stored offline that tap into the html file and thus give graphical directions (turn right, turn left etc). The HTML file is opened by the drivers from within Dropbox.

In the past I solved this issue by copying these GIF images to the scratch folder mentioned above and never had a problem. I need to do this again since the update to Android 7 but I simple cannot find the offline folder location.

I also tried the option of making these GIF files available offline within the Dropbox app but that didn't help.

Please tell me where exactly this offline folder is now located in Android 7. Thank you.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It sounds as if it's in a system folder (meaning that you have to root to get to it).

I'd suggest, to avoid a problem every time you get an Android update, that you arrange a different delivery method, like FTP. (Most FTP apps can be set to where they store files.) Or a website - which will download to /Downloads. Then it wouldn't matter what Android or Dropbox does.

marky000

May 24, 2018
Visit site
Not an option.

All people involved , especially the drivers aren't super computer literate. They have been using this method for years.

The HTML file gets downloaded via Dropbox. The GIF files are also in Dropbox but that's of no use because the web browser then opens up the HTML file but the GIFs aren't located on the device so they don't appear.

As I said in the past, the easy fix was to place the GIFs in the scratch folder which is where Dropbox used to save its offline files. When you go to that folder you see all the HTML files that have been opened plus the GIFs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty