Is it just me ...?

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm no coder, and I went through the tutorials, but dammit, App Inventor makes my head hurt. Probably just me, though. :p

Prof-KOS

May 22, 2010
Visit site
If you spend the time to go through the sample apps, they take you through a lot of the capabilities and explain a lot of the Block Editor. I've actually been working on an app for the company I work for, but there are a few things I'm having trouble with.

Try the samples though. The Block Editor is pretty logical, but you have to do a few to really get it.

Prof-KOS

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. I was able to construct a pretty functional calculator to compare the power savings between electric motors of different efficiencies. I was able to craft a pretty complex equation in the Block Editor and some nifty little interactions based on the inputted data. It only took a few hours of learning to get that far. It's not overly complicated, it's just different from what you're used to.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Exactly. I was able to construct a pretty functional calculator to compare the power savings between electric motors of different efficiencies. I was able to craft a pretty complex equation in the Block Editor and some nifty little interactions based on the inputted data. It only took a few hours of learning to get that far. It's not overly complicated, it's just different from what you're used to.
^^ this. Especially if you're familiar with any other (OO) programming logic. the block editor logic is really straightforward and ez to understand, but you have to think the right way.

I had to teach myself not to overthink it and then things started to go a bit smoother

Faulk_Wulf

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I know HTML, the fundamentals of Java Script and C++.
I've done some coding and scripting in Arma II as well.
Is that enough to be able to get in and have a little fun with it?
How complex of a program can you make with this, anyone have an idea yet?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

you know too much :p
Forget what you know of C++ and JS, this is more like old style VB -- it's all event driven programming, and all visual.

Here's an idea of what can be done so far -- it's the reference documentation
Reference - App Inventor for Android

salanester

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

I don't know any of those things (a little HTML) and I've gotten through the tutorial apps and just completed an app that lets me press a button and send a text to my wife. Next step is to see if I can have it scheduled. Of course I'm sure she'll figure something is up with my daily 'hi honey, love you' texts at the same time every day, especially if I'm sitting right next to her.

Tills13

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
For me, App Inventor is just going to be my interface builder - I'm not so good at HTML markup and XML.

Right now, I'm coding an application that will sync a Job Database that I've already written a program for in C++ - All I'm really missing is the interface that it will use.

I think I'm being pretty intuitive and using Dropbox as my sync syndicate.

Sonicaholic

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I recived my app inventor invite late last night and haven't even had chance to load it yet.
Has anybody loaded it onto a PC already loaded with eclipses carbide3.4 sdk? as i would hate to end up with conflicts and loose all the work on carbide before i even start with Google app inventor.

Techranter

Feb 17, 2010
www.techranter.com
I don't know any of those things (a little HTML) and I've gotten through the tutorial apps and just completed an app that lets me press a button and send a text to my wife. Next step is to see if I can have it scheduled. Of course I'm sure she'll figure something is up with my daily 'hi honey, love you' texts at the same time every day, especially if I'm sitting right next to her.

No worries, just add a randomize function. Make it so it goes anywhere between +15 or -15 minutes. So if the schedule is set for 8 AM, one day it'll go at 7:56, the next day it'll go at 8:13, etc.

Sonicaholic

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I would love an invite for this also if they are available.

Thanks
You need to request one from Google then they wait a few months before desiding if there going to invite you.

@Desire D
Its not realisticly feasable to pass an invite on as there tied to your Google account m8 :(

chefkeyser

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
It's odd. I just got through with all the basic tutorials. I did each one twice from scratch so I can really get a good understanding of the blocks. One thing struck me as strange though, the grammar in the tutorials is really ****ing bad.

Prof-KOS

May 22, 2010
Visit site
It's odd. I just got through with all the basic tutorials. I did each one twice from scratch so I can really get a good understanding of the blocks. One thing struck me as strange though, the grammar in the tutorials is really ****ing bad.

LOL. Ah well. I noticed that too.

I was pretty impressed with how the tutorials scaled themselves rather quickly. Really gave a me a good understanding pretty quickly.