Swift Twitter App Review

mikef1182

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
There are now quite a few Twitter apps out there for Andoird, and it can be tough to choose which one to use. Hopefully this review will help if you are interested in narrowing down what app to go with. I have used pretty much every Twitter app for the Android platform, Twidroid Pro, Peep, Twi2go, I Tweet! , and many others. They all have the advantages and disadvantages, so it's really up to you and the features you need. I chose Swift based on the recommendation I got on Twitter and have fell in love with this app.

Swift is clean looking and loads quickly. One problem I have noticed with Android Twitter apps is load time seems to take forever, Swift loads new tweets very fast. You can reply, retweet, direct message, check others profiles and tweets, send pictures and videos, search, interval notifications for teets, DMs, and replies. A few missing features that I would like to see are multiple accounts, conversation view, and a new icon (I know I know). Really those are my only complaints. Now lets get into the good stuff!

really like the idea of Twitter notifications, but some people don't want to get a message every time they have new Tweets. Swift lets you choose from Tweets, DMs, and replies. It is up to you what the app checks for. You can set the interval anywhere from 5 minutes, to every 6 hours, or simply leave it off and check manually. One nice thing is that the notification are actually consistant unlike Twidroid Pro. You can choose your own ringtone and vibrate options as well. Getting a notifications will put the Swift logo in your notifications window and it details the last message.

Tapping the top banner opens the different view options in Swift (Tweets, Replies, DMs, Search, Profiles). At the top right of the banner you have a "Tweet" button where you can write a new message. The layout is great and navigation is fast and smooth.

Swift7.png

Another feature that isn't really a feature, is the way Swift handles reading Tweets. If I go into the app and read some Tweets it remembers where I was so when I come back to the app I can just keep scrolling and not miss anything. Swift also has a "Jump to Now" button which is nice if I don't want to scroll through hours of Tweets.

Swift5.png

wift also will open links from within the app instead of having to use your browser. This is nice for those times you just want to check out a Twitpic, or read an article, but don't want to have to bounce between apps to get it down. I have found that it loads quickly and renders great whenever I use it. Of course you can also choose to open the link in the browser if you need to use more browser features. Once thing I will say on this is that with the Hero, pinch to zoom and double tap to zoom do not work within the apps built in viewer. Not a huge deal, just though I should mention it as I catch myself trying to double tap and pinch and zoom all the time.

Swift2.png

SWift3.png

Out of all the Twitter apps for android I would say this app is definitely in the top 3 and my current app of choice. I Tweet! is in need of an update, and Twidroid Pro just isn't reliable enough. Swift mixes great features with a clean interface and the consistency that you would expect from a top notch Twitter app. Oh and it's free! So go try it out and let me know what you think.

Ukyo

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
Great review! I was just about to post and ask what twitter app people were using. I disabled/stopped using HTC's Peep cuz of memory issues but how is this when it comes to memory?

mikef1182

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the kind words on the review guys! As far as memory is concerned, I have had no problem at all. Peep always lagged for me too, thats why I went on the hunt for a better Twitter app.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
nice review, i'm really liking the app. i do miss the widget that tidgit has, but i can't see myself running both. i guess the notifications are good enough.

i like the interface and in app browsing.