ISO Player for Android

xaronax

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
.iso files are images of CDs/DVDs created by ripping them to HDD. You need a mounting program on the desktop to use them such as MagicISO (MagicDisc), Alcohol, or PowerISO. No way you're going to get this to work on your phone, as they have no reference point for optical media. Use a combination of MagicDisc, DVDShrink, and Handbrake.

pyrilampes

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
That reply doesn't make any sense, why not mount the iso?

It takes one small line of code to mount an iso file to view it on any linux distro. why can't it be mounted and played on the android platform?
# mount -o loop disk1.iso /mnt/disk

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
You can try one of the VLC variants, I think they can play ISOs without needing to mount them on the desktop versions.

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I heard today that some of the new LCD TVs are coming with embedded android that have the ability to mount iso files. Haven't found a reliable source to confirm this though. Looking forward to this kind of capability in Android.

doctordawg

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
A big point is being missed, I think. I need to mount a DVD iso, not to watch a movie, but to use a multimedia DVD video that has menu choices with sub menu choices for things like language lessons or travel tips from DVDs with dozens of menu buttons.

Ripping them all to separate video files would be pointless, and MOSTLY would be impossible to project out the HDMI port onto a big projector screen, a fantastic corporate presentation tool.

Linux will do it. How 'bout Android?

RickInHouston

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
This has been the Holy Grail for my tablet needs. I have 100s of iso files on an UnRaid server and stream them to a Popcorn Hour to my tv. Would love to sit on the bed, sofa or ... and watch movies from the server. No transcoding, no uploading, just stream.

MX Player Pro and E S Explorer is 'getting there'. My original Xoom couldn't handle it. My wife's Nexus 7 can but it does take quite a few seconds to load. There are minor hiccups at times. I hope the Nexus 10 can do it but wonder if the screen may be too much for it to work.

Navigate to your server via E S Explorer. Dial down to the iso you want to play. Long press on the iso file. Tap 'open with' or 'video' and pick MX Player Pro. It will take awhile, but it should load.

I'm thinking 2013 generation tablets will really make this workable, fast and easy.

doctordawg

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Jebus, than you! Everyone on planet earth with a computer knows you can rip a dvd and play a video. I've been searching for months for a DVD ISO player because I need the menus to work. Dozens of little ripped videos are worthless without the navigation features of a DVD ISO file. I produce multimedia DVDs with random navigation buttons from anywhere to anywhere on the disk at any time. This is a stable, flexible and powerful way to give business presentations and sync multimedia with performance artist's shows. Powerpoint won't do this, everything has to be premeditated. Linux plays ISOs, why not Android?

porten

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
The app "wondershare player" by "Wondershare Software Co., Ltd." sounds like it is pretty close to what you're trying to achieve.

It cannot play ISO or IMG files straight up, but can play the exploded directory structures (AUDIO_TS + VIDEO_TS). So instead of copying the ISO itself, just copy the contents into a subdir. The subdir name will then show up as a sort of disc-image in the player.

The player comes with DVD menu navigation, subtitle and audio selections etc. All in all, it looks like a full fledged DVD player. I've got no idea how it works regarding h/w acceleration, power consumption etc. The interface is a bit clumsy, but fully usable.

The app is free, and I'm not in any way affiliated with the app or company behind it, so don't blame me if it turns out to be an elaborate scam delivery system :)

ostbey

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I also have a lot of media files (mostly .ISO, some as Video_TS and Audio_TS copies,
some as .MKV, others as .MPG or .MP4) on a NAS which I would love to be able to
watch on my Android phone. Converting them to other formats is out of the question
for (storage) space and (conversion) time considerations.

VLC media player (just enter "VLC" into Play Store, choose the Beta) can play ISO files natively.
However, the first ISO file I tried yesterday with a menu was also the first file to fail to play:
I cannot press any of the buttons of the main menu to actually make it play the video.
Is it just me (or the wrong version of VLC?) or does VLC not support this (yet)?

ISO files without menu or from DVDs which normally start playing by default are no problem.
Also my TV recordings on my NAS (in MPG format) play without problems (the NAS being mounted
thanks to the ES Explorer, also to be found on Play Store).

I still have to try recordings in HD (.TS files) and the other formats.

Thanks a lot for any further hints on what works and how one can get it to work!

Shiraz666

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I've just bought an Android media player running version 4.2.2. No bloat ware over the top at all. The native file manager opens the file structure of iso files without any dramas. The other media apps can then play the video files. But it won't play an image file of a movie dvd . It seems that this version of Android would meet the needs of those of you wanting to open and access files within an iso image. I'll follow up on some of the tips given, as I want to find an app that will play the image of a movie dvd. If I have any luck I'll report back.

naji7000

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
i just tested on my Samsung Tab S 8.4 LTE with MX Player Pro.

use some file manager to open your ISO file, use "open as movie".........."MX"can play movie ISO file directly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress