MailDroid vs K-9

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Diggin Maildroid. I haven't tried K-9.

Along the lines of the asterisk thought, is it possible to have the app go straight to the account of the new mail if the other account does have any? I have one busy account and the other is sporadic at best but I still want to keep tabs on it. It would be nice to skip that screen when I want to check my mail.

Yea, I am going to add that. I am going to 'try' (no promises) and get it in for the release next week.

JF

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I have a HTC Incredible.

My main mailbox is a MS Exchange email, but I also have 2 Yahoo accounts, 1 Hotmail, and 1 Gmail on the phone.

The stock HTC Incredible email program is pretty good, IMO, so I am wondering what MD does that HTC stock can't?

It sounds like MD is a fantastic app and I feel like I am missing out on something.

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I have a HTC Incredible.

My main mailbox is a MS Exchange email, but I also have 2 Yahoo accounts, 1 Hotmail, and 1 Gmail on the phone.

The stock HTC Incredible email program is pretty good, IMO, so I am wondering what MD does that HTC stock can't?

It sounds like MD is a fantastic app and I feel like I am missing out on something.

Try it, does not hurt as it is free.

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
@everyone

The beta testers have received a version to start to test. I'll let you know (or they will let you know) what they think. I am hopeful to have a release next Wed or Thursday.

dmnall

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I can say that MD is way better then the stock Samsung E-mail client! So a Big Props for the program but why the random ads loading up on it might I ask?

Cheers,
Charlie

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I can say that MD is way better then the stock Samsung E-mail client! So a Big Props for the program but why the random ads loading up on it might I ask?

Cheers,
Charlie

It is ad supported during the beta. I will have a paid version available when I am out of beta which should be another month or so.

ggh514

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
beta

@everyone

The beta testers have received a version to start to test. I'll let you know (or they will let you know) what they think. I am hopeful to have a release next Wed or Thursday.

the beta version is nice. especially the headers being saved on the phone. the beauty of this app is the accessibility of the developer and his willingness to make this a great app.

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Will there still be a free add supported version or just the paid version after the beta is over.

Both. I plan to always have an ad version available. The difference with a paid version would be:

1. No ads
2. Maybe some additional features (not sure)

I want to try and keep the versions basically in sync.

VaccPalm

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. Its worth paying for just for the work you do. Was just curious. Keep up the great work.once there is the one handed way to retrieve emails I mentioned I wil be even happier. Again great email app.

Nebilim

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
one more time...does MD support a TRUE yahoo push? i am curious because i need to see email asap when my background data is on

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
one more time...does MD support a TRUE yahoo push? i am curious because i need to see email asap when my background data is on

OK, let me make this clear for everyone to understand since I get this question all the time.

1. Yahoo supports IMAP
2. Yahoo DOES NOT support IMAP Idle Push. You can find this out by doing a simple telnet and you will see that Idle is not supported
3. K-9 does a pull as far as I know, I do something a bit different to simulate Idle within yahoo email. You will notice that with my application that yahoo emails come in as though they were pushed (I don't do a real pull). Think of it as a "proprietary maildroid idle push approach".
4. Yahoo has a proprietary SMS style push that they have NOT open sourced and is not licensed to anyone. Yahoo uses this in their yahoo email application

Having said that, seems many users say that my "simulated idle push" works better than yahoo's approach. Also, if yahoo ever turns on idle for their imap servers, then my simulated approach is automatically replaced with the official idle approach.

----
@Nebilim to answer you, yes it should work as expected.

Nebilim

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
OK, let me make this clear for everyone to understand since I get this question all the time.

1. Yahoo supports IMAP
2. Yahoo DOES NOT support IMAP Idle Push. You can find this out by doing a simple telnet and you will see that Idle is not supported
3. K-9 does a pull as far as I know, I do something a bit different to simulate Idle within yahoo email. You will notice that with my application that yahoo emails come in as though they were pushed (I don't do a real pull). Think of it as a "proprietary maildroid idle push approach".
4. Yahoo has a proprietary SMS style push that they have NOT open sourced and is not licensed to anyone. Yahoo uses this in their yahoo email application

Having said that, seems many users say that my "simulated idle push" works better than yahoo's approach. Also, if yahoo ever turns on idle for their imap servers, then my simulated approach is automatically replaced with the official idle approach.

----
@Nebilim to answer you, yes it should work as expected.

thank you. once again, I am not disappointed. keep up the good work

GlueFactoryBJJ

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I'm wrong in this, but I get the impression that the people who want to see the number of unread emails on a POP3 account are just interested in how many unread emails that MailDroid has, not how many messages are on the server. I agree that there is NO mechanism by which you can keep an accurate count of "unread" messages on the server via a "sync approach" in which messages are market "read" on a POP3 server. Even if you could, it would probably kill your battery with all the TCP comm that would need to happen.

IMAP is a different story.

@maildroiddev - I'll be a happy camper if I can just d/l the messages from my servers (POP3), without deleting them from the servers and deleting them from my phone as desired when I'm done reading them. Yee-haw!

Thanks for your hard work. I can only tell you that it is SO nice to work with a developer who actually stays in touch with his users. I hope you will continue to be able to do so as MD grows in popularity and you (eventually/hopefully) get rich! :D

Scott

nightranger

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
PDFs still will not open

Reset my Incredible to try to get maildroid to open pdfs, and it still says no application available to open this content. Has anyone else had this problem with HTC Inc.? Stock mail app will open PDFs no problem. Maildroid opens all office documents. Is there a way to fix this or do I have to abandon maildroid. Any help is much appreciated as this programs suits all of my needs, and has some features not seen in other mail apps. :confused:

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I'm wrong in this, but I get the impression that the people who want to see the number of unread emails on a POP3 account are just interested in how many unread emails that MailDroid has, not how many messages are on the server. I agree that there is NO mechanism by which you can keep an accurate count of "unread" messages on the server via a "sync approach" in which messages are market "read" on a POP3 server. Even if you could, it would probably kill your battery with all the TCP comm that would need to happen.

IMAP is a different story.

@maildroiddev - I'll be a happy camper if I can just d/l the messages from my servers (POP3), without deleting them from the servers and deleting them from my phone as desired when I'm done reading them. Yee-haw!

Thanks for your hard work. I can only tell you that it is SO nice to work with a developer who actually stays in touch with his users. I hope you will continue to be able to do so as MD grows in popularity and you (eventually/hopefully) get rich! :D

Scott

All this and more coming in the next version :) Also, I will see what I can finally do about message counts.