MailDroid vs K-9

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
It is hit and miss. My Droid X nothing. Maildroid I get a hit every couple hours. Could this be the end of AOL?

michael800

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I have the latest version 1.30 on my Samsung Vibrant and it still does not indicate on the original email a replied to indication (such as an arrow)? Isn't that what this update was suppose to take care of?

That was the only thing that I saw missing from this otherwise great app. If I'm missing something please do tell.

Also I noticed that the push email does not always work with my yahoo account? It will not send notification when phone is idle, but when I go into the app and hit "refresh mail" it will bring up the mail and then send notification. Anyway to address this issue?

Last edited:

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I have the latest version 1.30 on my Samsung Vibrant and it still does not indicate on the original email a replied to indication (such as an arrow)? Isn't that what this update was suppose to take care of?

That was the only thing that I saw missing from this otherwise great app. If I'm missing something please do tell.

Also I noticed that the push email does not always work with my yahoo account? It will not send notification when phone is idle, but when I go into the app and hit "refresh mail" it will bring up the mail and then send notification. Anyway to address this issue?

1. A reply/fwd flag was not on my list for this release. I will get to it, but not rushing as I have not heard this from anyone as a major request. Search, delete from phone, better UI...these are the major requests.

2. If you go to Account Screen --> Menu --> Sleep Mode you will see why that happens. Having said that, this I plan on addressing in 1.35 and that is an option to either let phone sleep, keep awake always, or wake up phone for push/pull events. I imagine most people want this and will choose the wakeup option.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Any way to get emails to fit the screen. I get emails and have to scroll back and forth to read. Also no AOL on my X. So I'm still using maildroid.

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Any way to get emails to fit the screen. I get emails and have to scroll back and forth to read. Also no AOL on my X. So I'm still using maildroid.

Not sure what you mean? I tested on an X and it looked fine. Send me an email so I can help diagnose. maildroiddev at gmail

michael800

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
1. A reply/fwd flag was not on my list for this release. I will get to it, but not rushing as I have not heard this from anyone as a major request. Search, delete from phone, better UI...these are the major requests.

2. If you go to Account Screen --> Menu --> Sleep Mode you will see why that happens. Having said that, this I plan on addressing in 1.35 and that is an option to either let phone sleep, keep awake always, or wake up phone for push/pull events. I imagine most people want this and will choose the wakeup option.

So If make that check that option then I will always get the notification whether the phone is sleeping/idle or when I'm using the phone? But if I don't check that option then the notification will never come when phone is sleeping/idle even though under "connection management" we have selected "stay connected for performance and immediate notification?" Or if we don't check the "sleep mode" option the notification will come sometimes and other times it might not?

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
So If make that check that option then I will always get the notification whether the phone is sleeping/idle or when I'm using the phone? But if I don't check that option then the notification will never come when phone is sleeping/idle even though under "connection management" we have selected "stay connected for performance and immediate notification?" Or if we don't check the "sleep mode" option the notification will come sometimes and other times it might not?

Checking that WILL hurt the battery, but you will always get your email. Even though your phone sleeps, there are certain things done on the phone (not related to MailDroid but certain events that the Android OS broadcasts) while asleep that MailDroid will wake up for...I just plan on adding an "alarm" which basically forces MailDroid to wake up the phone at a certain interval in case one of the 'internal' broadcasts did not run.

The key thing is battery life and the trade off is getting an email right away or having a 10-15 minute delay.

dpillay

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, thanks for the thread! It helps a lot. I may be getting an HTC Desire soon and for me the burning question is whether I can set the "from address" on an email before I send it.

I use the Fastmail service which allows you to setup various personalities. This has resulted in me registering with various mailing lists on those personalities (like the haskell mailing list). Now if I can't modify the from address to the exact personality I registered with, I will not be able to send emails from my mobile to the list.

How can this work on the MailDroid? Please let me know.

Thanks!

- Dinesh.

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, thanks for the thread! It helps a lot. I may be getting an HTC Desire soon and for me the burning question is whether I can set the "from address" on an email before I send it.

I use the Fastmail service which allows you to setup various personalities. This has resulted in me registering with various mailing lists on those personalities (like the haskell mailing list). Now if I can't modify the from address to the exact personality I registered with, I will not be able to send emails from my mobile to the list.

How can this work on the MailDroid? Please let me know.

Thanks!

- Dinesh.

Do you mean the actual 'from' or what would be defined as 'reply to'. I just added in 1.30 the idea that you can send from abc@foo.com and if someone send a reply, it can be sent to def@bar.com. This though will still look in the inbox as it came from abc@foo.com and will just change when the user hits reply. I am not sure if this is what you were looking for?

michael800

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Checking that WILL hurt the battery, but you will always get your email. Even though your phone sleeps, there are certain things done on the phone (not related to MailDroid but certain events that the Android OS broadcasts) while asleep that MailDroid will wake up for...I just plan on adding an "alarm" which basically forces MailDroid to wake up the phone at a certain interval in case one of the 'internal' broadcasts did not run.

The key thing is battery life and the trade off is getting an email right away or having a 10-15 minute delay.

Well as long as a notification comes whether right away or 10 minutes later I am OK with that. I just want the notification to sound that I have a new email with a reasonable time then I don't need to check that sleep mode override and conserve battery.

dodgylegs

Banned
Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
I love maildroid. Fantastic Dev and does everything i need it to. Didn't like K9, an app that has possibly the worst icon I've ever seen!

Maildroid through, looks after my 3 mail accounts and now I love the new Dark theme.

Great work Joe. x

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I love maildroid. Fantastic Dev and does everything i need it to. Didn't like K9, an app that has possibly the worst icon I've ever seen!

Maildroid through, looks after my 3 mail accounts and now I love the new Dark theme.

Great work Joe. x

You are welcome and I appreciate the kind words. Note that eventually I will be offering other options for the UI. I will probably have the 'classic skin' (what you see now), and other skins. I already got a few UI ideas and photoshop samples from people. If anyone wants to send me their ideas, it is welcome.

NickB2005

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I just installed maildroid this morning, it's my first android device, coming from a blackberry after 6 years. Going to give it a try and see what I think, hopefully it works out well for me!

eharty

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I am new to Android and coming from Blackberry as well. What are the advantages of maildroid over the stock mail and gmail apps?

spun2u

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Just installed it, and it seems to be working. Coming from the BB I really disliked the stock email system on my DX, so maildroid is more of what I'm use to.

Rickgsx

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I have several email addy's configured... Is there anyway to have a universal inbox with Maildroid..? That would be great...

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I am new to Android and coming from Blackberry as well. What are the advantages of maildroid over the stock mail and gmail apps?

Well, the gmail app is only for gmail. The stock mail app is missing a lot of features (too many to list), does not support idle push, and does not work for yahoo over wifi. I wrote this due to frustration and being an ex-crackberry user wanted to see good push mail.

Give it a shot, it's free ;-)