Google Voice

Do you use Google Voice with your Droid?

• Total voters

asdr24

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone else has tried to use Google Voice as their main phone line. It's pretty nice if you have a plan that has friends and family cause it gives you unlimited minutes not to mention the free texting that Google provides. I have been doing it for a while now and wouldn't have it any other way. Anyone else do this?

zeiroe

Nov 7, 2009
www.serpents-guild.com
i mainly use google voice for the voicemail and the auto forwarding to my work cell when my droid doesn't have signal. Works got sprint and nextel towers that seem to drown out the verizon signal ;)

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I maintain offices in 2 different towns (1000 miles apart). I need to appear "local" in both towns. So, I use my google voice number a LOT.

My boss carries 2 phones and pays Verizon every month for both lines. I just laugh at him.

Google voice RULES!!!

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
i also use it exclusively for voicemail. if i had multiple phones or if i didnt have unlimited text i would probably consider it, but for now it does fine for me on the voicemail end

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
I've tried, but I get MMS messages. Yes, I can just tell them to email it to me, but a lot of times, it isn't messages that I even know are being sent.

Some are surprise pics or even those chain text messages with gifs which actually come in as an mms.

For anything I'm buying/selling, I use it though.

anon(3653)

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
I use it for text messaging (dropped my package with Verizon), group specific voice mail, and the number I give out to anyone new to me.

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
The only thing that is holding me back from using Google Voice exclusively is that i cannot set each individual contact to have their own voicemail response like i can with youmail. I'm hoping Google will enable this soon.

pjjanak

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
The only thing that is holding me back from using Google Voice exclusively is that i cannot set each individual contact to have their own voicemail response like i can with youmail. I'm hoping Google will enable this soon.

Yes you can. If you go into your Google voice contacts on the website, you search for whoever you want, and then edit their voice mail settings. Then you can record a special greeting just for them. I have one set up for my girlfriend :).

Peter

johnny99

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I installed Google Voice the day I bought the Droid. Never bothered to memorize the Verizon phone number. I just give everyone my Google Voice phone number.

asdr24

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Wow I'm surprised to see how many people actually use GV. I figured it had a following but would have never guessed this many people use it. Cheers to you all!

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Yup. GV's also very handy for dealing with unwanted callers. IMO, being able to send/receive SMS and check voicemail via a PC is a plus as well.

funkytoad

Feb 20, 2010
Visit site
I've been waiting for my invite (submitted email numerous times) since Nov '09. I seem to be doing ok without it, but don't have a clue what I'm missing.