Keyboard with Swype on N7.

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I have never downloaded a 3rd party app for the keyboard but I decided I wouldn't mind trying something else out on my Nexus 7. I would like to use swype, so I figured there was just a keyboard called swype... Well I can't find one. What should I download to use swype? All recommendations are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Phil. I now feel sufficiently stupid I didn't just google that. I assumed it was gonna be at the play store. Anyways, Thanks again!

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Yeah Swype is funny like that ... not putting their app on the Play Store.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend Swype on a tablet. Swype is geared toward one-handed (really, one-finger) use, and a tablet really needs to be used with 2 hands. I'm not saying not to get it if you really want to try it, but Swype just works better on a phone. I'd recommend a different keyboard for a tablet. Personally I like a split keyboard on a tablet, and I'm a big fan of SwiftKey's prediction engine, so SwiftKey 3 Tablet is my recommendation.

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Yeah Swype is funny like that ... not putting their app on the Play Store.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend Swype on a tablet. Swype is geared toward one-handed (really, one-finger) use, and a tablet really needs to be used with 2 hands. I'm not saying not to get it if you really want to try it, but Swype just works better on a phone. I'd recommend a different keyboard for a tablet. Personally I like a split keyboard on a tablet, and I'm a big fan of SwiftKey's prediction engine, so SwiftKey 3 Tablet is my recommendation.

I'd like to point out that some folks, like myself, simply put our tablets on a flat surface while it's in it's case, adjust the angel for the individuals preference and use the keyboard that way. Thus, I'm only using on hand, which Swype is perfect for. I've even held it on my left arm (lout of the case) and used swype that way as well. No issues.

I also got small hands (I am female, hehe) so using just my thumbs and/or pointer fingers on a split keyboard is rather uncomfortable as I'm also holding the tablet with the remaining three fingers on each side. Edit: Of course, the tablet I have is 10.1". I have not tried using a split keyboard on a 7" tablet, though I'm sure it's not nearly as difficult or as uncomfortable because I wouldn't have to stretch my fingers.

It's all about preference. So for the OP, I suggest trying out several. Cheers!