Is Android lost safe?

DeerFilm

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I have used Androidlost and it is a great program. But it worries me that at anytime maybe the developer could take a picture or hear me. On his web site he says that we should trust him and that it is safe. Any idea what country he is from. I will trust him, but is there anyway to tell if this app is being abused.
I am sure he would not want to do anything wrong because he would have to do some jail time.
The app is totally free and works perfect.
Android Lost

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
It sounds good but I would be suspect of someone with poor grammar and spelling skills. That's just me. It's like giving your password to him with access to everything about you. I don't know, it makes me uneasy.

What?! ...I'm msndrstood.
via Gnex

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
It sounds good but I would be suspect of someone with poor grammar and spelling skills. That's just me. It's like giving your password to him with access to everything about you. I don't know, it makes me uneasy.
that may be because English isn't his first language.

Hi, I have used Androidlost and it is a great program. But it worries me that at anytime maybe the developer could take a picture or hear me. On his web site he says that we should trust him and that it is safe. Any idea what country he is from. I will trust him, but is there anyway to tell if this app is being abused.
I am sure he would not want to do anything wrong because he would have to do some jail time.
The app is totally free and works perfect.
Android Lost
Is it on the Play Store? If not, a security app isn't the kind of thing I would sideload from a random website. You can use whoisit to find out where the website is registered. You can also Google it to see if anyone has had any weird experiences.

Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus

a111b222c333

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I can't really answer your question but what I can say is that the permissions list looks really scary to me. I wouldn't give some random developer guy access to all that data. I don't know...to me the best idea is to get a Samsung. It comes with most of those features preinstalled(embedded in the security settings) and I would feel much more comfortable giving that data to them rather than some unknown guy.

DeerFilm

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
It is on the Play Store, and after searching a lot, I see no sign if this program being used wrong. The program offers so many options and works great. And reading in the google forum of this sight, he will be offering many more options. And the cost of it all is free.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
It is on the Play Store, and after searching a lot, I see no sign if this program being used wrong. The program offers so many options and works great. And reading in the google forum of this sight, he will be offering many more options. And the cost of it all is free.
That's better then. I think everyone's biggest concern was that you were downloading this from some random website.

jessijass

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
On the other hand Android is the most common mobile operating system making it an attractive place for malware. Additionally manufactors do not update their devices with newer versions (as they want to sell newer phones with newer android versions

DeerFilm

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
the author is currently working on this feature, which would be great.
"Mobile controller
It would be nice with a mobile controller so you can remote control
your phone from a mobile web page. That way you can track it down
using an iPhone or any other phone. And you can sneak up upon the
thief and check you are within wifi / bluetooth range before you
start the alarm."

Miner

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Lifehacker seems to like it: Android Lost Controls Your Stolen Phone, Even After You've Lost It

However it's not clear that did an actual Consumer Reports-like comparison test. They point out one compelling, powerful feature is you can install and use it after the phone goes lost or otherwise leaves your possession. In that situation the permissions take a back seat to getting the phone back.

I've been reading up on these apps, read about AndroidLost, but the two I'm considering are Cerebus (2.99?) and Avast. Avast shows installs as 10,000,000 - 50,000,000. That is a pretty strong argument in it's favor.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Lifehacker seems to like it: Android Lost Controls Your Stolen Phone, Even After You've Lost It

However it's not clear that did an actual Consumer Reports-like comparison test. They point out one compelling, powerful feature is you can install and use it after the phone goes lost or otherwise leaves your possession. In that situation the permissions take a back seat to getting the phone back.
Good to know as the question comes up often here.

I've been reading up on these apps, read about AndroidLost, but the two I'm considering are Cerebus (2.99?) and Avast. Avast shows installs as 10,000,000 - 50,000,000. That is a pretty strong argument in it's favor.

I have Avast, but lots of people in the AC forum like Cerebus a lot.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I've used Cerberus for quite awhile. It's very nice and powerful. The reasons for the permissions on these apps are for what they are capable of....tracking the phone, turning on the GPS, setting passcodes, wiping the phone or SD card, locking the phone, controlling the phone via SMS, hiding the app and preventing it from being uninstalled, taking photos and all of that through a web browser.Cerberus even will record audio or video from your phone and email it to you (not sure of others). You can send an alarm to the phone (that sounds like a police siren) with a message and the phone will take a picture when the thief dismisses it and send it to you. That functionality is going to take a lot of permissions to pull off.

I'll point out the Cerberus will let you add up to five devices onto your account as well, so for a couple of bucks, I have it on my wife's and kid's phones as well. It's a good deal for the peace of mind and I've used it several times to find my phone that I misplaced (used the picture functionality to find my phone was left under the seat of my car or in my yard)

The nice thing about Android Lost and a couple of others though is they can be installed and configured after the phone is missing out stolen. Others, like Cerberus require it to be installed prior to the theft.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Kim Johny

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
it is over 1 mil people downloaded and using this app. It is very low probability that developer will chose personally you for take your picture :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38