GPS WIFI app?

TNScrambler

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I have heard there is app out there that turns your WIFI on and off depending on specific pre set gps locations....

so as to, I could have it turn on WIFI when I was at home or work, or other set areas, but turn it off while driving around etc...to help save battery.

Thanks,
Justin

marcw

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I use settings profile for this. I have it:
turn on wifi and make everything loud when i am in the house during 8am-12pm
turn on wifi and make everything quite when i am in the house during 12am-8am
turn off wifi and make everything quite when i am at work

eye4ni

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Setting Profiles is a pretty great app, well worth the few dollars. HOWEVER, the OP is asking how to use this to save battery. Well, I am sure that you can imagine that using GPS every 30 minutes or so to check your location pretty much defeats this purpose. Leaving Wifi on all the time will consume less power than using the GPS like this.

Setting Profiles also has options to identify your location using cell towers, though this is far less accurate (I haven't actually used this feature, so I don't know how accurate it really is). There are lots of great features in this app, you set RULES/CONDITIONS/ACTIONS based on many different things, and the app will change your phones behavior however you set it.

Try the free version (limited to one rule/action) and see for yourself.

marcw

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
i use Setting Profiles with cell towers, so i do turn on my wifi when i am in the neighborhood. i can drill down to 1/4 mile from my house. Small enough for me not to worry about have wifi and other items on.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
If all you want to do is turn wifi on and off based on location, look at Y5 Power Saver. It does just that, based on cell tower locations. Very battery friendly.

Setting Profiles, btw, now has the ability to detect location based on tower, rather than GPS location, so you can do the same thing with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olalekan45