Gmail App - Turn off conversation mode?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
so you can now turn off conversation mode in Gmail on the PC side. i don't think you can do this yet on the Android side. i hope they add this feature on the Android side.

anybody else interested?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i turned off conversation mode on the PC side. shortly thereafter - i noticed an email i deleted on the PC side would not delete on my EVO. not sure if it's related but i went back and turned conversation mode back on and now everything is working fine again. i plan to just suck it up and get used to conversation mode to keep things consistent with Gmail on PC and Android.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Turning off conversation mode speaks to a basic misunderstanding on how Gmail works, and generally messes up a lot of things.

With mailing lists its a nightmare having it turned off. Even with regular family and friends it makes no sense to have to hunt around for a prior message just to find out what they told you previously. So much quoting could be avoided if people would just use gmail as intended.

Archive, never delete.

giograves

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, there is a ton of crap, alerts if you will, that I'm very content to delete. You tube subscription notifications for example.

So, would someone be so kind to tell me how it might be possible to delete a SINGLE message in a conversation, instead of the whole conversation in the gmail app?

*hitting head on desk because cant figure out*

kamtsa

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
so you can now turn off conversation mode in Gmail on the PC side. i don't think you can do this yet on the Android side. i hope they add this feature on the Android side.

anybody else interested?

GMail without conversations is like beer without alcohol. Why bother?

:)

giograves

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Simply prefer the traditional view.

Even if I'm forced to go conversation mode on the device, I'd at least like the ability to delete a single item in the conversation.

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Just because Google designed it that was doesn't mean that's how most people prefer it. Every other email service on the face of the planet sorts email by date and lists them individually. While grouping by conversations is a nice to have feature, it shouldn't be the default setting, IMO. Since it is the default setting, being able to turn it off and make it work like all other email interfaces would be nice. As mentioned the option is available for the web mail interface. So, why is it not available on my phone? Shouldn't an email app provide you with your emails in whatever format/view you prefer???

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Just because Google designed it that was doesn't mean that's how most people prefer it. Every other email service on the face of the planet sorts email by date and lists them individually. While grouping by conversations is a nice to have feature, it shouldn't be the default setting, IMO. Since it is the default setting, being able to turn it off and make it work like all other email interfaces would be nice. As mentioned the option is available for the web mail interface. So, why is it not available on my phone? Shouldn't an email app provide you with your emails in whatever format/view you prefer???

Every other email app on the planet provides a way to group email into threaded conversations.

It's the only rational way to deal with lots of mail.

You are arguing against dresser drawers and closets, and championing a heap of clothing in the corner of your bedroom floor.

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Every other email app on the planet provides a way to group email into threaded conversations.

It's the only rational way to deal with lots of mail.

You are arguing against dresser drawers and closets, and championing a heap of clothing in the corner of your bedroom floor.

Exactly my point. They provide a way, they don't make it the ONLY way. I'm not saying that it's a useless feature, I'm just saying that it's a feature that people should have the option to use or not use.

kamtsa

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Just because Google designed it that was doesn't mean that's how most people prefer it. Every other email service on the face of the planet sorts email by date and lists them individually.

GMail was not designed to be like "every other email service on the face of the planet", it was designed to be better and I think its popularity suggests that many people do like it.

Tre Lawrence

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Didn't even know it was an option on the PC side.

6 months ago, I would have jumped at this. Now, more or less, I am fine with the way Google groups the emails. K9 was an option, but I actually switched back because I had grown to prefer conversation mode.

I am sure the functionality will be added to the mobile end shortly

smartphoney

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Simply prefer the traditional view.

Even if I'm forced to go conversation mode on the device, I'd at least like the ability to delete a single item in the conversation.
I'm using K-9 Mail rather than the Gmail app for this very reason (so I can delete a single message in a conversation). I really find it hard to believe that this option is not available in the Gmail app but I sure can't find it.

Just the Facts

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Turning off conversation mode speaks to a basic misunderstanding on how Gmail works, and generally messes up a lot of things.

With mailing lists its a nightmare having it turned off. Even with regular family and friends it makes no sense to have to hunt around for a prior message just to find out what they told you previously. So much quoting could be avoided if people would just use gmail as intended.

Archive, never delete.

There are some egotistical pr*cks on these forums, but telling someone how they should like to view their email might just take the cake....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87