Searching the App Drawer

rob damiani

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
It's a PITA to have to always scroll through page after page of apps to find what I'm looking for. What does everyone use or recommend with regard to an app that searches apps or the app drawer?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Google Now will search your phone, as most phone's built-in search functions, really. But the one I use the most is Google. Just start typing whatever you want and if there's an app or document that matches what you're writing, it will show it and let you open it. Works with voice commands, too. You just say "Open Android Central" for example, and if you have it installed, it will launch the AC App.

Or you can install a 3rd party launcher that lets you search for apps directly from the drawer.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Google Now is a nice alternative if you don't mind the interface. It may be a Sense 6 thing with HTC, but I thought it was an Android thing with KitKat.? In the upper Left corner I have a label that says apps with a drop down menu that allows me to use a custom layout, Alphabetical, or Most recent. If it's not an Android thing almost all of the launchers allow sorting. Solo and Nova to name two.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Google Now is a nice alternative if you don't mind the interface. It may be a Sense 6 thing with HTC, but I thought it was an Android thing with KitKat.? In the upper Left corner I have a label that says apps with a drop down menu that allows me to use a custom layout, Alphabetical, or Most recent. If it's not an Android thing almost all of the launchers allow sorting. Solo and Nova to name two.
It's a stock feature to allow sorting (although manufacturers can skin that away), but the OP is looking for SEARCH capability. That, only a few launchers will allow. Or search apps like Google Now and the stock search app if manufacturers added one.

rob damiani

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your reply VidJunky. Searching for apps via Google isn't my ultimate goal; let's say that I don't know the name of the app that I'm searching for..........see where I'm going, lol? Thanks anyway.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your reply VidJunky. Searching for apps via Google isn't my ultimate goal; let's say that I don't know the name of the app that I'm searching for..........see where I'm going, lol? Thanks anyway.
But if you don't know the name of the app, how are you expecting to search for it? oO

Google Now doesn't need the full name, just the first few letters. For instance, if you type in FACE, it will show that you have a FACEBOOK app.

rob damiani

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Ummm by scrolling through an app drawer? Quad Drawer is nice because I can sort by recently used apps. It also starts to search via QWERTY or T9 input after typing out the first few letters that are in the apps name. So using your example, I can simply type "ace" and Facebook would be found.

But if you don't know the name of the app, how are you expecting to search for it? oO

Google Now doesn't need the full name, just the first few letters. For instance, if you type in FACE, it will show that you have a FACEBOOK app.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Nova last update includes a search tool and you can manage your apps on folder. Besides all the awesome features to custom your home screens. Worth a try

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Well as long as you're happy I guess it doesn't matter that much. If stock android gives you a sort by recently used app I probably wouldn't install an extra app. I use an app called application folder to organize my apps into folders based on type. Of course you can make folders filed with anything you want but similar to the OP I don't always remember the name of an app so by organizing them by type I have all of my photo apps in one place. All of my movie and player apps in one place, and so on. The thing about this that make me prefer it over the stock is my folders don't have to look like folders. I think someone said beautiful widgets does this as well but I got this as one of Amazon's FAOTD. Back when they were giving away useful or cool stuff.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

RizaHawkeye

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I use App Swap-The Smart Drawer.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s/details?id=net.ebt.appswitch&token=yDYxdxDJ

It allows you to launch a window with your app drawer by swiping up from the home button, and it's been convenient for me because I don't use Google Now. App Swap also seems to have something for phones with physical home buttons now. I highly recommend it. I haven't had any issues yet.
You can search within the drawer, and there's a free setting that allows you to have the keyboard launch immediately when you open the Drawer.

You could also use a launcher that lets you search within the app drawer.

There are also apps that open a list of app if you swipe from the side of the screen.

warrencoles

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I admit up front that I am associated with this app, but try App Fetch by Easy App Fetch. It is designed to do exactly what you want: launch your apps without having to scroll through all your apps.