App to move internal media and apps to SD card?

Morgandy14

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
My turbo 2 internal storage is down to 4g.

I want to transfer media and apps to my SD card to free up space.

The web said a file app could do this, so in PlayStore, I installed 2 apps with highest ratings, one is simply called ' file manager', which I cannot find option to move between storage.

The other is 'Move to SD card'. When I select the actual option, move to SD card, this message comes up, No Need to Move, SD card shares same disk with OS.

Does anyone know of an app to simply move internal media, of my choice, to SD card, and locations I want. If not the latter, I can move them later to where I want them.

Thanks much...

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Did you set the microSD card to be part of internal storage (i.e., adoptable storage)? https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/109134/p/1449,9582

If so, then the card is incorporated into the phone's internal storage, and you shouldn't have to worry about moving apps and files yourself. Let the system manage it.

Just to add to this answer, this option requires the marshmallow system update. If the phone is still on lollipop 5.1.1 and never received the marshmallow update, there is not yet an option for adoptable storage.

Morgandy14

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I read the link you provided, but their are too many downsides to using Portable (ex, only for media files, not apps). I do have the Marshmallow update.

I have tried different apps to move internal to SD, but some don't work on Marshmallow, and most do not move the data, just the .apk files. I must clear space on my Internal storage since it is so low now.

Also, the link has the following in it: "Through the Motorola camera application settings, you can select the default storage for pictures and movies captured through the Motorola camera app. Third party camera might not offer this option." I tried to maneuver to the camera settings, going into settings, my apps, but there is not any camera application settings tab. Can anyone give me step by step instructions on how to do this. I have a Turbo 2.

Thanks greatly...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I'm still not clear on whether you set the card to be Internal (Adoptable) Storage or Portable Storage. Can you clarify?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
If you have already selected adoptable rather than portable, there is nothing you have to do. Apps from that point will install on the adopted storage on the sd card.

Morgandy14

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I'm sorry , I became confused.

You say 'adoptable' and 'portable'. The link posted has a chart for 'portable' and 'Internal', (not adoptable), does the chart use Internal meaning as adoptable, internal means 'adoptable'?

I just put a larger SD card in my Turbo, and copied back everything I had on original card. It is set to internal.

When I go to settings and storage, it shows only 4g available on internal storage, and external shows a ton now that I replaced with more storage on it.

So, my question remains, if anyone can answer, how do I move my apps/data/downloaded media to SD card, and new downloads also go directly to the SD card.

What setting is there to make the SD the default storage, and default place where my apps are stored and opened from?

Please ask if these questions are confusing.

Thanks for investing the time on this thread.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
If the sd card is set to internal, you have to do nothing - apps get installed onto it. The sd card has been adopted as the location for internal storage of apps and data.

arkreb68

Sep 11, 2017
Visit site
I have the marshmallow OS too and have the same issue. It's been(sd card) formatted as internal and portable storage at different times. Still running out of space