Anybody paying for these apps?

Loc22

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I have downloaded Hub+ services but now I have been asked to pay a subscription for it. I think it is too much to pay a subscription for this current services but I don't mind paying a one time off payment for this.

After thinking about this decision, I think I would not mind paying a MYR 3.99 per month for the Hub+ services if it ;

- allows me to have access to new apps to be developed by BlackBerry and list out what is in the pipeline.

- If it also includes the BlackBerry keyboard

- if it also includes BlackBerry Travel, yes I know BlackBerry travel is essentially WorldMate but with integration with the hub. So if BlackBerry is able to let me have this integrated with the hub I think many people would love it.

- BlackBerry maps. This sounds strange but I like it. Take this as a bonus, coz if more people uses the BlackBerry maps, then the quality of the BlackBerry maps on BlackBerry 10 would improve.

What do the rest of you think? Would you pay for this app or do you agree with me?

anon(9983233)

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
We've not reached a point where we're willing to pay for any apps.. However there may come a time when it's necessary to subscribe to an app, which means paying for it. If you're referring to just location service type mapping apps.. we're finding more apps aren't worth it and we've set the devices to location only and simply login to either google maps or mapquest.

In other words if we can get away from using any apps and simply login to a web site using our devices and still get the same type of results as compared to an app.. then why bother downloading it. granted we have attempted the RoadTrippers app and it was working at one point until they changed the rules.. No one has to download the app in order to use it. For us this would mean not using it at all.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I do indeed pay for apps, but I have no use for BlackBerry hub, BlackBerry Maps, or any other BlackBerry apps.

I didn't even take the 30-day trial of those.

Petabytes

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
May I know how's the Hub behave or look like after the trial period? What change like the ad. popup, ad. link in the email content or ad. showing up on the UI? Is it really annoying?

Loc22

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
May I know how's the Hub behave or look like after the trial period? What change like the ad. popup, ad. link in the email content or ad. showing up on the UI? Is it really annoying?

No it is not annoying. There is just an ad banner at the top just below the menu bar.

I have to say that the hub is improving now. It doesn't open my WhatsApp if I reply a WhatsApp. Hopefully with better integration I can open 2 or more WhatsApp at the same time like how it was on BlackBerry 10.

I understand that in the Android environment I can only open maximum 2 WhatsApp at the same time to chat with different people. I will make do. I used to open 4 or 5 copies of WhatsApp and chat with different people at the same time on BlackBerry 10.

Guess it is an upgrade when I'm now limited to 1. Ha ha ha

Loc22

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for Loc22's feedback. So I don't need to only buy their android phone for the Hub issue.

No you don't need to. If you do you can have more access to other apps that you may like.

My next Android phone may be theirs as the keyboard is much better than what I can get here. Although both are also developed by SwiftKey the one on Android is just lacking the swipe, convenience of switching.

It is a lot easier to toggle between capital letters and small letters, alphabets numbers and symbols and also special characters. If you typed something wrongly or if predictions choose some words wrongly for you it is still easier to go back without having to retype. e. g. If you type a word that is not in English, perhaps a name and when you press space or select the word wrongly, on Android SwiftKey you have to retype the word. On BlackBerry keyboard you just swipe left and the correct word will appear.