GrooVe IP - Google Voice VoIP

pacolococt

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Generally HTC phones have that issue, but you don't have a HTC phone. Where no matter what the setting in yoru power profile the wifi still goes into a power saving mode when the screen is off. There are a few apps on the market that claim to fix the issue. Might be worth trying one of those out. Think there is a free one called WiFi Fixer. Don't have any personal experience with any of them though.

Thanks for the help. Wifi fixer did nothing to help. I then tried an app called advanced wifi lock. It seems that it may have fixed the problem. I called my GV number with the screen off and it rang within the first 2 rings on my cell. Anyone else using the optimus v may want to try this app. If this is only a temporary fix I will let everyone know. Thanks again.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the help. Wifi fixer did nothing to help. I then tried an app called advanced wifi lock. It seems that it may have fixed the problem. I called my GV number with the screen off and it rang within the first 2 rings on my cell. Anyone else using the optimus v may want to try this app. If this is only a temporary fix I will let everyone know. Thanks again.

Thanks for the update!

knightshade

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Purchased and started to play with it.

Couple of minor things that I emailed in about (and got a reply within an hour):
- Dialpad button doesn't toggle to "Hide" like the default dialer
- Wired Headset mute button doesn't toggle mute when using Groove IP

Overall - pretty happy with the app.
There is a delay when using it - but I have a huge number of conference calls that I connect to and only listen.
This looks to be a good way to save minutes.

EwanG

May 31, 2010
Visit site

I notice that the listing mentions that it can use up battery if used all the time. How bad does it appear to be in your use?

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Newbie question. I just signed up for Goggle Voice because I travel a lot. Does it use the WiFi by default when its enabled for calls or do i have to specify some how? I have Sprint and its not clear how to call with my Sprint account vs. the Goggle account.

Assuming you kept them separate, Google via Groove will use WiFi if it's connected. If you tick the settings box in Groove, 4G will be used when WiFi is off and if 4G is off then 3G will be used. If you're on 2G (it works on roaming too, I just tried it), that's what will be used. If you leave the box unticked, it will only connect if you're on WiFi. Google Voice by itself without Groove uses the mobile voice network, which isn't 2G, 3G, 4G, or WiFi.

Now that is how the connection itself is made.

As for choosing which system to use to place a call, if you don't enable Groove as the default system for all calls in the settings, a little popup will let you choose when you dial with the main dialer or you can use the Groove app dialer for Groove calls. If you do enable Groove as the default, then it will automatically use Groove when you use the main dialer and the Groove app dialer.

Last edited:

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible to allow the user to choose whether inbound calls are mobile network or Groove just like outbound?

The only setting for that is the call forwarding setting in your google voice account (google.com/voice). If you forward to google chat, GrooVe IP will receive it. If you forward to your cell, your mobile network will receive it. If you forward to both, both will ring. In the next update we've made a change so the GrooVe IP incoming call screen shows on top of the native one. But that will only work if your phone still has a data connection (or WiFi) when on a mobile phone call

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
The only setting for that is the call forwarding setting in your google voice account (google.com/voice). If you forward to google chat, GrooVe IP will receive it. If you forward to your cell, your mobile network will receive it. If you forward to both, both will ring. In the next update we've made a change so the GrooVe IP incoming call screen shows on top of the native one. But that will only work if your phone still has a data connection (or WiFi) when on a mobile phone call

I kinda got that by good ol' fashioned trial & error. I did manage to see a Groove overlay every so often but it was a bit of a fluke...I believe it happened when I was first signed in, because subsequent incoming calls would go straight to the default incoming screen without the overlay or simulring.

I want incoming to be VoIP all the time unless I have zero data connectivity in which case I'll take the network as a backup system. If that's what you mean by "on top of" then that would be perfect.

cizastro

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I've heard of some phones having issues with speakerphone. I was looking into getting a cheap Huawei Ascend so that I could take this phone on overseas trips and was wondering if anybody has used GrooveIP with a Huawei Ascend. If anybody could weigh in I'd greatly appreciate it.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I had a major issue a bit ago. A call came in...but instead of an answer button next to an ignore button, all I had was an ignore button the size of both. Is that because it was my mother?

In all seriousness, that's a huge problem. If it wasn't my mother I'd have been more frustrated than I was...and possibly screwed out of a customer. Any idea what would cause that?

Another issue I'm having is with Bluetooth. It doesn't connect properly, but I have no idea how or why.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I had a major issue a bit ago. A call came in...but instead of an answer button next to an ignore button, all I had was an ignore button the size of both. Is that because it was my mother?

In all seriousness, that's a huge problem. If it wasn't my mother I'd have been more frustrated than I was...and possibly screwed out of a customer. Any idea what would cause that?

Another issue I'm having is with Bluetooth. It doesn't connect properly, but I have no idea how or why.

The ignore button comes up first when Google voice sends the call. The answer button appears when signalling is completed. Generally those two steps happen very quickly and you don't notice the intermediate step. But if signalling fails you could get only the ignore button, after a few seconds the call will drop. It can happen if the person calling hangs up right after Google Voice sends the initial incoming call message.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Well she didn't hang up. She rang through to voice mail and left a message.

What exactly do you mean when you say "signalling"?

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Well she didn't hang up. She rang through to voice mail and left a message.

What exactly do you mean when you say "signalling"?

Generally on a voip call there are a few different types of traffic. Voice traffic is the most obvious but there's also call control and signalling. For each call, signalling information is exchanged. Like notifying the other side that a call is being initiated. Then some negotiation on ports and codecs. Without looking at logs I don't know what caused your incoming call to fail.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Oh okay. I got the ringtone and the screen, just not the answer button. I don't know if that helps narrow it down at all.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Oh okay. I got the ringtone and the screen, just not the answer button. I don't know if that helps narrow it down at all.

It's not something that should happen very often. Most times it's caused by packet loss on the network. Subsequent incoming calls should still work.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Oh I gotcha. Is that button literally downloaded each time, or does it simply not display until the call is able to be answered?

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Oh I gotcha. Is that button literally downloaded each time, or does it simply not display until the call is able to be answered?

It's not displayed until the call can be answered. We did it this way so even if the signalling fails you still know that you got a call and who was calling. Our other option was just not to ring at all until signalling was complete, but then if it failed you'd never know that someone tried to call you.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I'd say you made the right choice.

Is there a way to change how long it rings before being tossed to voice mail? That'd give more time to get the button and answer.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I'd say you made the right choice.

Is there a way to change how long it rings before being tossed to voice mail? That'd give more time to get the button and answer.

Don't believe so. Google Voice controls that. I don't think I've ever seen a setting for that in my google voice account.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez