GrooVe IP - Google Voice VoIP

tdbone1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi:
get ready i have alot of questions.

currently i have google voice (just started using it on my android device today) and SKYPE (unlimited USA) and i also have a skype online number.

i can use my DROID-X (running gingerbread) built-in DIALPAD or i can use my SKYPE dialpad.
01 do i have the choice to use my built-in dialpad OR the groove ip dialpad?

i am really looking for something LIKE skype but BETTER
example (android skype)
01 i have to use an older version so i can SELECT my own ringtone.
02 i can not listen to my voicemails unless i goto my pc and run skype from their
03 no unlimited SMS package available (10.4cents per text in usa)
04 no MMS at all

everything else is good (i just want an ALL-IN-ONE) that actually works

right now i have unlimited talk for one year and i have an online number for one year for $65.00 total

i dont mind spending money but i want it ALL (sms, mms and voicemail) from one app

let me know what i should do if there is no all-in-one app like skype but better then skype
right now i use google voice and yes i can get my voicemail and send/recieve texts for free but i would really like it all intergrated like it is for a phone that has service from isp

i just use wifi only so its skype and google voice for my (voicemail, texting and talk) which works
i just want i tall to work

im really not sure my point
maybe my point is (can groove ip or any other software) give me something better then what i have now?
android skype (with online number) and android google voice

liebezeit

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Good app, works better than the sip/pbxes.org solution. BUT when I take my phone out of my pocket the ignore button is often accidentally engaged and I miss the call. Can we please have the option of using something resembling the native answer screen, with sliders?

xur17

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
With the newest version, when I make a call (also when I receive a call I think) with the phone sideways, but autorotate turned off, the button layout appears to still rotate, making the buttons cover the top half of the screen, and run off the right side. I can send a screenshot of this if you have trouble reproducing it.

Also, I noticed that my issue with the auto-detect echo seems to occur when I have the incoming call volume low at the beginning of the call. It seems to always work if I have that volume high enough. Is there some way to emit the beep sound at the maximum volume no matter what the incoming call volume, or to increase the incoming call volume for the first few seconds of the call to fix this?

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Good app, works better than the sip/pbxes.org solution. BUT when I take my phone out of my pocket the ignore button is often accidentally engaged and I miss the call. Can we please have the option of using something resembling the native answer screen, with sliders?

Will take a look and see what we can do.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
With the newest version, when I make a call (also when I receive a call I think) with the phone sideways, but autorotate turned off, the button layout appears to still rotate, making the buttons cover the top half of the screen, and run off the right side. I can send a screenshot of this if you have trouble reproducing it.

Also, I noticed that my issue with the auto-detect echo seems to occur when I have the incoming call volume low at the beginning of the call. It seems to always work if I have that volume high enough. Is there some way to emit the beep sound at the maximum volume no matter what the incoming call volume, or to increase the incoming call volume for the first few seconds of the call to fix this?

Believe I fixed the first issue. It will be in the next beta. Will have to look into the volume/echo canceler issue. For now you can switch to a manual setting if you know what range of echo tails you normally get.

xur17

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Believe I fixed the first issue. It will be in the next beta. Will have to look into the volume/echo canceler issue. For now you can switch to a manual setting if you know what range of echo tails you normally get.

I was going to set a manual value, but my echo tail varies from 160 to 320, so there isn't any range that covers all of the possible values I could get.

xur17

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I am running a pre-release version of ICS on my Nexus S (based on the sdk), and just for fun I decided to try out Groove IP. It appears to work fine, except the volume control doesn't seem to work (it doesn't adjust the volume, it is adjusting something else).

This may just be due to the port, but I thought I would just let you know in-case something change with ICS. Obviously I don't expect Groove IP to work perfectly with this pre-release rom.

Last edited:

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I am running a pre-release version of ICS on my Nexus S (based on the sdk), and just for fun I decided to try out Groove IP. It appears to work fine, except the volume control doesn't seem to work (it doesn't adjust the volume, it is adjusting something else).

This may just be due to the port, but I thought I would just let you know in-case something change with ICS. Obviously I don't expect Groove IP to work perfectly with this pre-release rom.

Thanks for the info. We plan on buying a Galaxy Nexus as soon as it comes out. From the SDK it doesn't look like anything should have to change in the app, but we'll try it as soon as things are officially released.

xur17

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info. We plan on buying a Galaxy Nexus as soon as it comes out. From the SDK it doesn't look like anything should have to change in the app, but we'll try it as soon as things are officially released.

I am really hoping ICS lets you use the built in echo canceller.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
So using a different rom could potentially fix this for me?

It could. We're also going to expose a new setting to select the mic source. In Honeycomb the SDK added a voice communication mic source for VoIP that is supposed to do echo cancellation and auto gain control. If the rom implements that api it should use the hardware echo canceler.

xur17

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Is there any way you can make an optional setting to set "MODE_IN_COMMUNICATION"? I ran a logcat on csipsimple, and based on that and several comments such as this, I think this will fix the echo issue for Nexus S devices.

Eg: It shows up as the following in logcat:
D/AudioHardwareInterface( 144): setMode(IN_COMMUNICATION)

I would really appreciate it!

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Is there any way you can make an optional setting to set "MODE_IN_COMMUNICATION"? I ran a logcat on csipsimple, and based on that and several comments such as this, I think this will fix the echo issue for Nexus S devices.

Eg: It shows up as the following in logcat:
D/AudioHardwareInterface( 144): setMode(IN_COMMUNICATION)

I would really appreciate it!

Ya we started that last week. About half way through the change that would make the mic source configurable. Will likely have a new beta up with the change this weekend.

mi7chy

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Verizon HTC Thunderbolt running official Gingerbread 2.3.4 v2.11.605.5 ROM.
Blueant S4 bluetooth speakerphone v1.6
Groove IP v1.2.9.

Native dialer works fine with bluetooth. However, with Groove IP configured as the dialer I can initiate a successful bluetooth call but once the call is ended any subsequent bluetooth calls will no longer have audio even though the device is showing paired/connected and bluetooth via Groove IP dialer is toggled. The only way to restore bluetooth audio is to unpair/repair.

Any suggestions or possible software fix to Groove IP?

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Verizon HTC Thunderbolt running official Gingerbread 2.3.4 v2.11.605.5 ROM.
Blueant S4 bluetooth speakerphone v1.6
Groove IP v1.2.9.

Native dialer works fine with bluetooth. However, with Groove IP configured as the dialer I can initiate a successful bluetooth call but once the call is ended any subsequent bluetooth calls will no longer have audio even though the device is showing paired/connected and bluetooth via Groove IP dialer is toggled. The only way to restore bluetooth audio is to unpair/repair.

Any suggestions or possible software fix to Groove IP?

Some devices seem to have this issue Issue 15092 - android - AudioManager.stopBluetoothSco() not working - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting where the api to close the bluetooth connection isn't working. Don't know of any solution to that since that's the only api to disconnect the bluetooth. Still looking into it.