Looking of OFFLINE Map App

KSAN_Chuck

Sep 25, 2017
Visit site
I am looking for an Android app that allows you (1) to download maps of regions you are going to, and (2) uses your phone's GPS to locate itself on the map.

I live in the US, but travel to Europe a lot. I want to be able to find myself on a map (mostly, while walking, but possibly while driving as well), and then navigate my way to my destination. I will be doing this without a cellular carrier, which is the big challenge for this capability.

I have Here We Go, which meets the map download criteria perfectly, but when I set the app to run off-line, I do not get any position updates--but great maps.

Perhaps my assumption that my phone (LG Premier LTE) does has a GPS capability, and that it will communicate its location with apps is incorrect. A sad thought, since this is about the only use I have for this phone.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited:

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central. I understand the first part of your question, Google Maps lets you download maps for offline use, but I'm not sure if you have to be in the area first. The second thing you bring up, GPS is confusing. It should be very easy to tell if your phone has GPS capability, from the settings for one. The LG site says your model has S-GPS and is geotagging capable, which would indicate the problem is with your mapping software. Unless, of course, you have GPS turned off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress