Android Auto, Samsung Note 8, GPS randomly gets lost... any idea ?

DavidinCT

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I've been running into an issue with Android Auto and the Samsung Note 8 (Verizon SM-N950U), If you do some research on this, you will see this is VERY, VERY common issue with the NOTE 8. The funny thing is the NOTE 8 is on the very limited list of phones that support WIRELESS Android auto but, it cant even keep GPS solid on it. Really ?

This is my post on Reddit where I started trying to find a solution for this

https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidAut...ps_on_waze_or_google_maps_gets_randomly_lost/

As a phone, GPS with Waze has been flawless, never lost GPS (besides in a Tunnel or something), Once I connect to Android Auto, it's hit or miss. I have gone through all the "tweaks" (read the reddit post above to see what I have done) to my Note 8. Sometimes, I can just unplug my phone and plug it back in and it finds itself again, other times, a reboot is needed for it to work again for a while.

With this all being said, if I am using Android, and it's complete LOST, I can unplug the phone, OPEN Waze and it shows the "lost" location for about a 1/2 a second and fixes exactly where it is. Why does get lost in the first place ? What logs can I look over to figure out what EXACTLY is going on here ?

I did use a 2019 Ford for a rental back in January that had Android auto and this happened then, I just put in Android auto into my Lexus LS460 (about 2 weeks ago), and it does the same dam thing. I figured it would be fixed by now (6+ months later).

Did anyone find a 100% fix this besides spending $35 a month on a new phone ? There is nothing wrong with my Note 8 besides this (and some Waze burn in on the screen)

Here is a post on this subject on the OFFICAL Google Android Auto forums for reference.

https://support.google.com/androidauto/thread/45792804?hl=en

Thanks !

chomorro

May 14, 2015
Visit site
I have this same problem with my note 8 and android auto but I don't think it's android auto.

My google maps frequently freezes I have noticed even without android auto. I found that with android auto i unplug the cable and reattach usually fixes it buts it's pretty much every usage freezes the first time.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
From various report, it seems is limited to Waze app only. Google Maps app work just fine.

Most Android Auto head units have its own GPS chip and antenna. When a smartphone is connected, it is suppose to switch over to use the external GPS instead of the one built in the phone. So, it looks like a bug in Waze that does not properly support the the external GPS.

DavidinCT

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
From various report, it seems is limited to Waze app only. Google Maps app work just fine.

Most Android Auto head units have its own GPS chip and antenna. When a smartphone is connected, it is suppose to switch over to use the external GPS instead of the one built in the phone. So, it looks like a bug in Waze that does not properly support the the external GPS.

Not in my case. When Waze loses place, go into Google maps... it's the same thing... Unplug the phone and it works for a while... then goes back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress