Update: Nexus 6 connects fine after 1.03 firmware upgrade

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Update: Nexus 6 is now connecting fine after the 1.03 firmware update.

Someone asked me about using the Nexus 6 with Android Auto, because it's being told by Android Auto Check that it's not supported. You'd think it'd work, right?

But sure enough I plug in the Nexus 6 and it keeps thinking the car's in motion and won't let me set things up. Anyone else seeing this?

FWIW, that check site said the Moto X 2014 wouldn't work, and it worked just fine.

Last edited:

Fleury14

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: Problems with Nexus 6. Anyone else?

Yup mine works fine. Any issues I had were user error.
1. Using the mic that I already had installed in the car rather than the one that came with the unit.
2. Not having the parking brake on while setting up the AA app.

E Murray

May 9, 2014
Visit site

I installed it but it will not work. I assumed because I'm running 5.1 and not 5.0.

Posted via the Android Central App

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

Well, I'm not using a Nexus 6, but as another data point, with my Nexus 5 I was unable to get it to activate Android Auto (or to even get my head unit to acknowledge a connection) until I turned on USB Debugging in the Developer Mode options.

Jeremy Barr

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site

So USB debugging worked with your Nexus 5? I will have to wait and try that when I install my Pioneer AVH-4100NEX to see if that works.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

So USB debugging worked with your Nexus 5? I will have to wait and try that when I install my Pioneer AVH-4100NEX to see if that works.
Yes. I couldn't get my 8100NEX to even acknowledge the USB connection until I turned on USB Debugging.

Jeremy Barr

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site

I used the Android Auto check site and that site said my phone wasn't compatible. I also tried plugging my device into the Pioneer AVH-4100NEX display unit at Best Buy and it wouldn't work. I thought it might have been the display unit not being wired incorrectly, but now I don't think so. Hopefully, it does work. Guess I will have to wait and see.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

There is a new firmware out for the NEX head units, as of today. Firmware 1.03.

NEX | Pioneer Electronics USA

Check your firmware version. Mine was 1.01. I just updated. Going to see if that makes a difference for my USB Debugging issue.

According to Pioneer:
This firmware update (version 1.03) contains the following improvements:
• Expanded compatibility with Google Android Auto™
• Fixed a pop noise problem while playing a music file in SD
• Minor bug fixes

Update: Nope. It didn't fix the USB Debugging requirement for my system. Oh well. It's not a show-stopper.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

That's just weird. FWIW, My N6 now connects just fine. (I've updated the OP)

Yeah, I have no idea why it's behaving this way. Might be something unique to the combination of a Nexus 5 (running stock Android 5.1), Android Auto, and the 8100NEX. As long as I have USB Debugging turned on, it works like a charm. And I know it's USB Debugging because I can do the following:

1. Turn USB Debugging off.
2. Plug the phone into the 8100NEX (Nothing happens).
3. Go to the Developer settings on the Nexus 5 and turn on USB Debugging (while the phone is still plugged into the 8100NEX).
4. Android Auto launches right away (before I even exit the phone's settings menus).

So, whatever it is, it's consistent.

Glad the firmware update fixed your Nexus 6 issue.

Jeremy Barr

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
OK, cool. Just a quick question, how do you have the Nexus 6 connected? Is it just the micro USB to USB cable? Is the cable Pioneer branded? Is the micro USB to USB cable all I need?

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
OK, cool. Just a quick question, how do you have the Nexus 6 connected? Is it just the micro USB to USB cable? Is the cable Pioneer branded? Is the micro USB to USB cable all I need?
The unit should come with a USB-A to USB-A extender cable. That cable is to be connected to USB Port 2 in the back of the unit. Your installer should then run that cable to a convenient location for you to access outside your dash. You then plug in your own USB-A to microUSB cable (just like your standard phone cable you've been using).

(I recommend that you get your installer to also run a USB-A extender cable from USB Port 1 as well. That way you'll have access to both ports if you should decide you want to either attach another USB storage device or an iPhone for Car Play--which requires the use of USB Port 1.)

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
(I recommend that you get your installer to also run a USB-A extender cable from USB Port 1 as well. That way you'll have access to both ports if you should decide you want to either attach another USB storage device or an iPhone for Car Play--which requires the use of USB Port 1.)

I haven't tested yet — confirmed CarPlay only works from USB1?

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I haven't tested yet — confirmed CarPlay only works from USB1?
According to the instructions in the manual for the 8100NEX, Apple Car Play requires use of USB Port 1 and Android Auto requires USB Port 2. I'm assuming the same requirement exists on the 4100NEX, but I suggest you check the manual, just in case.

Hummer645

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
My Nexus 6 wouldn't go through the Android Auto setup when I had my head until installed on Saturday (Pre-update to 1.03) until I applied the parking brake. Once I did that I got through the setup and have never had another issue with getting my N6 to connect.

So if you are having issues, apply your parking brake to complete the initial setup!

My issue right now is that Android Auto mutes my phone when connected as it should, and when I disconnect from my car and try to change the volume setting It says Android Auto- Muted and I cannot visually see the volume level change. It's weird. I have reboot to get it to function properly. It is still working that way after the update to 1.03.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez