I want to use Android Auto to display Google offline maps/gps from my Samsung Express Prime phone. My phone does not have a data plan. Can I do this ?

All I want to do is use Android Auto to display Google offline maps/gps on my vehicle's dash screen. I don't care about the other Android Auto features.

Some forum posts claim you can run Android Auto without a data plan. The Android Auto help page states you need "An Android phone running Android 5.0 (Lollipop) or higher with a data plan".
    https://support.google.com/androidau..._topic=6348027

When I start Android Auto on my phone, I receive an Android Auto text display on my phone with a green background. My phone is stuck at this point. I select the "Projection" button on my 2016 Chevy Silverado (used for Iphone Carplay and Android Auto), I receive text prompts for the phone feature, but no graphics display.

I've hooked up other Android phones with a data plan and google offline maps and been able to display the map on my vehicle.

It looks like Android Auto requires a data plan or it will not even connect the phone's graphical display to the vehicle, but I have not been able to confirm this.

I can Bluetooth sync my phone with my Android Auto and make phone calls with my Android Auto.
    10-23-2016 09:01 AM
    You need Internet access, AA Maps do not work without it even if you have offline maps loaded on your phone. A cheap way to get data would be through OnStar, $10 a month for 1G. Connect your phone to the car's hotspot and AA will work.
    10-24-2016 10:20 AM
    Thanks for the response.

I parked my vehicle close to my house so my phone has wifi access. I then tried Android Auto to display the map/gps and it still does not work.

There appears to be a bug / deficiency in Android Auto which requires the cell phone have a data plan. The Android Auto should display on the vehicle screen whatever is displayed on the cell phone screen. Since the vehicle screen is a projection of the cell phone screen, the limitation is whatever the cell phone screen can display.

Is there a method to submit bugs / enhancement requests to the Android Auto developers ?

I've tried running google maps with offline maps on my phone when my phone does not have a wifi connection. This works fine. Android Auto should display this on the vehicle screen since it can be displayed on the phone screen.

I checked into the OnStar option when I purchased the vehicle. The cheapest data plan they had was $35 / mo.

The cheapest cell phone data plan I found is approx $35 / mo.

If I have to buy a data plan for the maps/gps, then it is cheaper to purchase a standalone gps/mapping device.
    10-27-2016 03:34 PM
    I do not have a data plan on my Android phone and have no problem bringing up Google maps on my Android Auto equipped car. Google Maps (and all other apps that I have tried) work in Android Auto without the need for an internet connection. Note that there is a small list of apps that can be used via Android Auto (most apps do not work):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/c...auto_all?hl=en

Note that Android Auto does not mirror what is on the cellphone screen. The display in the car is always different (at least for the apps that I have used). Based on what you wrote, I have the impression that you have not connected your phone to your car correctly. I suggest following the steps in this video:

Once the connection between your car (Android Auto) and your phone (Android with the Android Auto app installed) is completed, then all interaction takes place on your car screen, including launching of the desired app (Google maps in this case).

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
    10-27-2016 05:23 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion.

I disconnected the phone from my vehicle and started over. During the installation, I selected all the Android Auto default options. Earlier I had not selected all the default settings.

This time it worked and I can display google maps with the offline maps.

For google maps to work, you may need to select all the default Android Installation options.

Now that it is working, I'll review the Android Auto settings and possibly disable specific options that I do not want.

Thanks for the suggestions and assistance.
    10-29-2016 07:48 PM
    Hello in my experience I was not able to search addresses in my AA while offline. I need to be online to search for address and then I was able to navigate without any problem. But with downloaded offline maps it's impossible to search for an address. In mt tablet with downloaded/offline maps I am table to search any address (if its inside the area I downloaded). But once I plug my phone (in airplane mode) to my car and google auto starts it wont find any adress even if that address was inside a downloaded map. Please help
    07-10-2017 07:32 PM