Not receiving text notifications with Android Auto

srootes1

Dec 16, 2017
Visit site
I just bought a 2018 GMC Terrain which has android audio Built-in. I downloaded the android auto app on My phone. Android auto app is working well with Google maps, audible, and Amazon music, however when I receive a text message I do not get a notification through android auto. This is my 1st time really using android auto but I've been reading that it will ask you if you would like to read the text messages however I am not getting any options of that either on my phone or in my car. I'm not sure if it is the android auto app issue or because my car is so new? Is anyone able to help me with this? When I go through the android auto app under the other apps you can download it brings me straight to the Google Play Store but it doesn't look like any of those apps are available to me in my car such as spotify or other apps.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
All audible notifications are suppressed by design. For text, you will briefly see notification badge on top of the screen. You will have to go back to Android Auto home screen to see and ask AA to read the message.

From what I know, not all text apps are compatible with AA. Make sure your text app is compatible.

revliscrazy

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
TL-DR - I had to download a completely different SMS application (in my case, Textra) in order for text notifications to work properly.

I recently purchased a 2017 Silverado LT with Chevy MyLink (Android Auto) and as far as I can tell I was having the same EXACT problem. Everything worked great with the exception of sms notifications. I spent several weeks trying to research this problem and possible causes/fixes.

Some background:
- I'm on a stock Samsung Galaxy S8+ with Android 7.0 Nougat. When I first bought the truck, the notifications worked fine, then after about a week, I received several updates (in the truck and on the phone). As far as I could tell, this is when text notifications stopped working.
- Switched to an iPhone 6S Plus for a week. Everything worked fine, as far as notifications. Switched back to the Galaxy S8+, no notifications again.
- I factory reset my phone, and text notifications worked again for about a week or so. This time, no updates in the truck. Randomly, I'd sometimes get a notification, but what I noticed was that I only got them from people using iPhones. Thought this was really weird, but it put the idea in my head that it could just be the SMS application itself.
- Downloaded Textra about 2 or 3 weeks ago and ever since then, I get every single SMS message notification without failure. Android Auto displays a drop down notification and populates a banner that allows me to play back the message again or respond with a preset Driver response.
**Based on my research, Android Auto doesn't seem to handle MMS (i.e. group) messages very well and won't typically give you a visual notification. I've not really been able to test this adequately and can't confirm.**

Sorry to be so long winded. Just wanted to give as much info as possible. Hopefully you can try this and it works out for you!

Last edited:

dwilli57

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
2017 Ford Edge. Samsung S7 w/7.0 Nougat. Texts work great when I'm listening to IHeart. There's a small notification at the top of the screen announcing you have a text and when you tap it, it is read back to you and then asks if you want to reply. If I say YES, it gives me a tone, I reply, then it asks if I want to send. VERY VERY simple, much better than the stock Sync3 system in Ford.
Need to add I am using AA with either the music playing shown or Google maps being shown at the time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty